User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Tires for the North

Please change them in Dawson or Fairbanks. I am getting old and I hurt,, so don't change them in Whitehorse.I usually change about 220-240 tires per year and I am suffering from lots of old age ailments that take all winter to recover from,
I am hopeing to make D2D this year and that means takeing a couple days off. That will be nice since the last time I took days off from work was in December 2006.. Jon AKA Dorf
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
thats why I use a tire machine (because Iam old and broken down) tire spoons are for young guys and those who haven't learned the easy way yet. even with a machine its hard on the back.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
bigphish OP
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 386
I sympathize with you old guys as I am an old guy as well. You know this getting old is not for pussy's. I think I will just look up the guys at Adv Cycle Works and get it done. About 3,000 miles on the dirt I figure. My only question is now will the new Tourance rear last the 8,000 plus miles of the paved part of trip?
Sorry I will not be able to make the dust to Dawson. I am sure I will meet some good folks along the way anyhow.
And thanks AK Duc for the ferry thread. I think some day ferry trips and rides around SW Alaska and the Kenai would be cool

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 407
Seems to me there is a lack of awareness of Team Pterodactyl HQ in Dawson City. I have a seriously equipped garage with commercial tire machine, bike lift etc. Have been having tires shipped here for years and have a good stock of useable used tires for emergencies, hell two guys did the Dempster on some when theirs didn't arrive on time.

Friar Mike is going to be here before and after the D2D, hanging out at the shop and helping the peeps out.

As Fite would say, JUST SAYIN!
The Dick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #20
bigphish OP
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 386
Yep, Lack of awarness on my part at least. Thanks Dick for the heads up. I will explore the tire shipping thing.

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
If I can do D2D, I plan on mounting a set Mitas knobbies on my Tiger. A dude got 4000 miles on a GSA with those.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
If I can do D2D, I plan on mounting a set Mitas knobbies on my Tiger. A dude got 4000 miles on a GSA with those.
I know many riders who have done that on TKC's.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
AKTREADs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
With a set of Heidenau's you could easily doubled the mileage.
AKTREADs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
CalgaryKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I was going to mention Dick, in Dawson, however he stepped in just in time.

Thanks for your help when we were in your back yard Dick, hope you enjoyed the wine.

Any other Kenda big blocks seperating that you've seen lately?

Virgil
IRON BUTT #12543

BMW MOA #137752

CalgaryKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 672
Bigphish, what Friar Mike is offering is the way to go. Best option for Dawson, 'cause he can do it, and he will have the rubber there. I also agree with the sentiment that you ouight to know how to change the rubber and patch a tube yourself out there when youi are far from home. I had to do it 3 times on the Dalton, just wierd bad luck, and would still be there if I had not the stuff to do it. Carry a tube or 2 for each end. Good luck.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #26
TSD
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigphish View Post
I think I will just look up the guys at Adv Cycle Works and get it done. About 3,000 miles on the dirt I figure. My only question is now will the new Tourance rear last the 8,000 plus miles of the paved part of trip?
Sorry I will not be able to make the dust to Dawson. I am sure I will meet some good folks along the way anyhow.
And thanks AK Duc for the ferry thread. I think some day ferry trips and rides around SW Alaska and the Kenai would be cool
Bigphish - I am struggling with the same dilemma. Don't want to carry tires from Phila, but want the flexibility to change routes and timing based on weather, distances and interests. Did some comparison and found that the Whitehorse Honda dealer is about 30-40% more expensive, but is strategically located for Canol Rd. or D2D. Not a big deal considering the whole trip. Bottom line for me as I am heading to D2D, is to get Friar Mike to bring the tires up to D2D (or ship them) and get the TKCs mounted up there.

Was also thinking about just putting on the Heidenau tires in Phila and running them the whole 12,000 miles - as some claim you can get from them...

Sounds like weather is a big factor for the Dempster or Haul Rd - if the weather window looks good, I want the option to make the run for Prudhoe Bay rather than slogging 500 miles in the rain.

OTOH - Once up there, a 500 mile side trip to get tires may not be a bad way to spend a few days...

Just my 2 cents...
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #27
TSD
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
Wasilla, AK: The Abby

Anchorage: Alaska Leather

Fairbanks: Adventure Cycle Works

All are kind to travelers and ADV Riders
What about Trails End BMW, Fairbanks?
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #28
friar mike
IronButtGruver

The one thing that has to be understood is tire wear you will in no way get the milage up here that you get down in the states our roads are tire eaters. Most of you will be running heaver then you normally would these roads here are chip seal or as we call it shit seal its like running on .00 grit sand paper it just wares out tires in no time so do not use the milage you know unless its from times you do rides up here because it will strand you like it does many others every year just ask Dick up in Dawson how many come bagging for tires just something to get them to the next town.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Thumb Don't forget us either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
Wasilla, AK: The Abby

Anchorage: Alaska Leather

Fairbanks: Adventure Cycle Works

All are kind to travelers and ADV Riders
Hey we're here in Fairbanks to help you all with your tire changes as well. We carry Tourances, TKC's, and Heidenau's in stock!

All the people mentioned here are great people as well. Friar Mike, Dawson Dick, Adventure Cycleworks all great people!

We'd love to have your business here at Outpost Alaska/ Trail's End BMW in Fairbanks, Alaska. If you are going to have your tires changed in Dawson City, have one of the other blokes bring them up for you because I'll be riding!!

Outpost Alaska/Trail's End BMW
1450 Karen Way
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 456-3265
trailsendbmw@gmail.com

Cheers,
Justin
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #30
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,976
i'd change tires in Watson Lake, the miles work out perfectly for the Tourance/TKC swap. i'd also ride the Campbell with those nice fresh TKCs, turn directly up the Dempster, cross the TOW, and on to the Dalton. by the time you get back to Watson Lake, you will have run roughly 4000 miles on the TKCs and the rear will be shot, while the front might still have life. re mount the Tourances, ride home. the rear should be good for 8000 miles, and you'll get home on that set. ride the Tourances the additional miles into Alaska, you probably won't get home on that set. then what?

i've shipped sets of TKCs to Watson Lake twice, no problems. 13,500 miles from the east coast using that tire change strategy, one set of each.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote