Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #1006
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by odavid57 View Post
Hey Guys... I absolutely loved SF. Did you go to the Warf? The china gardens... Enjoy, where are you off to next??

keep on truckin

Yes we did go to the warf,Chinatown, Coit tower....it's a nice city . But still a city and a country boy like myself has always a hard time feeling comfortable in a big city for more then a few hours, no matter how nice the city is
Tomorrow we start heading out to the coast and then slowly down south, Big Sur , wine tasting in Paso Robles, maybe Sequoia...we don't know exactly, the road will lead and surprise us
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #1007
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
You are right about that Deb , but I have been all over the northern mountains already ; there are still lots of nice places to see there, but still...I've never been in Baja.
I've been many times to Oaxaca and we always rent the same efficiency apartment there(home cooking) If you are interested I can send you the link
Ride safe[/QUOTE]

Thanks Julio, send me the link just for interest, but currently in a homestay while at Spanish school in Oaxaca. Not so much home cooking sadly, but interesting and lovely woman none the less. Fantastic to get more of a grip on the language. Enjoy the ride.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #1008
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Marshall , Oysters and LT meeting

Our friends , Doug and Janet had one of their annual events with their LT motorcycle club . They came together from all over California,Oregon and Washington for a lunch (BBQ oysters) in Marshall and then they went on for a dinner in Fort Bragg. We got invited and decided to come along for the lunch and then we would go our own way, doing what we like best :Riding less and seeing more.

So we took of from Lodi, a relaxing ride without GPS or map watching, just following the other bike

Just outside of Napa we stopped at a pumpkin festival ; Luisa was surprised by all the different kind of pumpkins and I was surprised once again , by the north american ability to turn almost everything into an event or festival. It's always more about the marketing then product itself

From there we took a small backroad out to the coast and our final destination, the oyster place where already some 20 bikes from all over the state were waiting

My adventure bike most have felt kind of lonely with all these shining high tech riding machines

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #1009
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

]

Thanks Julio, send me the link just for interest, but currently in a homestay while at Spanish school in Oaxaca. Not so much home cooking sadly, but interesting and lovely woman none the less. Fantastic to get more of a grip on the language. Enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]

here it goes,ride safe.

http://www.oaxaca-apartments.com/
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #1010
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Napa Valley

After checking out so many wineries in Lodi , obviously we also had to go to Napa Valley . Nice scenery but so overcrowded.... It was interesting seeing the places where the wines that I have been drinking for so many years are being made
I liked Sonoma much better then Napa, nice town square, nice little cafes where people are having sparkling wine before lunch...that's the way I like it
The centrally located main square gives the town a Latino touch...Mexico is close

Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #1011
Smithee
F650 Beemerider

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Yes we did go to the warf,Chinatown, Coit tower....it's a nice city . But still a city and a country boy like myself has always a hard time feeling comfortable in a big city for more then a few hours, no matter how nice the city is
Tomorrow we start heading out to the coast and then slowly down south, Big Sur , wine tasting in Paso Robles, maybe Sequoia...we don't know exactly, the road will lead and surprise us
I lived in SF for a year in the 70s. It's a fun city, but I surely wouldn't want to live there again.

Looks like you hit a lot of the high points. Good that you were not on the bike for your tour.

Where are you headed next?
'05 Yamaha V-Star Classic "Ultra Star" (for sale, make an offer)
Spot Track SmugMug Photos
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1012
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,889
Hey, can you bring me a bottle of Cakebread Cellars Cabernet? Just kidding of course. I also like Clos Pegase and Martinelli Pinots.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #1013
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
Where are you headed next?

Out to San Jose and then down the coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Hey, can you bring me a bottle of Cakebread Cellars Cabernet? Just kidding of course. I also like Clos Pegase and Martinelli Pinots.
It's always good to have good friends with good taste
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #1014
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Golden Gate

Golden Gate…something I have been looking forward to seefor a long time, and now I saw it . As usually we were really lucky with the weather (Matiosh Pacha Mama) : Blue sky and sunshine.
It was a busy weekend at Golden Gate , thousands of people came out to observe the acrobatic air stunts from Fleet Week and also the boats from the Americas Cup.
Anyway , once we got down to Sausalito and on to Golden Gate we managed to get a parking spot up on the hill with an incredible view of the bridge and the bay

After spending some time up in the hill and enjoying the view, the moment to ride over the bridge(and back) arrived

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #1015
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Nice fotos Julio! I am still following along with you. south of S.F. is Butano State park it has great walk in camping spots and is off the main road enough to be not very busy, and you camp under large Redwoods!!
In Big Sur there is a small hotel cafe that serves the best breakfast on highway 1,can not remember the name but it is on the east side of the road when you first enter from the north. Chorizo omlette with homemade red sauce...
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #1016
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Nice fotos Julio! I am still following along with you. south of S.F. is Butano State park it has great walk in camping spots and is off the main road enough to be not very busy, and you camp under large Redwoods!!
In Big Sur there is a small hotel cafe that serves the best breakfast on highway 1,can not remember the name but it is on the east side of the road when you first enter from the north. Chorizo omlette with homemade red sauce...

Hola Cal, good to hear from you and to know that you are still riding along .
You know how much I worship good chorizo...just telling me that there is some out there somewhere is kind of cruel
saludos ,
Julio
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #1017
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gold Country

An other excursion that we made this week with Doug, was out to see the place where gold was found for the first time in California. We took a lot of great back roads, stopped in several small towns … we had a great day with our tour guide

And we also went on the shortest highway in California, less then 1 mile long

Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #1018
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Goodbye

Last night was our last night here at the holckster residence . It's been 2 weeks since I got here the first time and time seems to have flown by. Doug and Janet are incredible hosts and made as feel at home . Thank you both so much for your hospitality, for all you have done . And Doug , thanks so much for volunteering as designated driver on all our wine tasting tours , for driving me all the way to San Francisco to pick up Luisa, for printing all these detailled maps, for....
We really hope that you guys come down south soon so that we can get a chance to return the favors.
Once again I must say, that the best part of our journey was meeting all these wonderful people and making so many new friends . MUCHAS GRACIAS !!!!!!!

Janet prepared one of her delicious meals for our last dinner

She is always busy , even when she is cooking

And here is Doug in his favorite position

ADIOS MIS AMIGOS Y HASTA LA PROXIMA !!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #1019
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 739
Thanks for allowing us to be part of your Adventure and letting us show you our small spot on this planet.
Truly enjoyed your visit here and the wonderful conversations along with the food YOU prepared & wines YOU selected.

We wish you good weather and safe travels till we meet again.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #1020
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Thanks for allowing us to be part of your Adventure and letting us show you our small spot on this planet.
Truly enjoyed your visit here and the wonderful conversations along with the food YOU prepared & wines YOU selected.

We wish you good weather and safe travels till we meet again.

We really enjoyed the time with you guys
The route that you suggested to San Jose was great, even if I got lost once and ended up in Modesto
But then the small road with a million turns and twists up to the observatory and the down to San Jose was wonderful