User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
cpcf250 OP
PTO

Oddometer: 42
Considering a KTM 640 adventure

Hello, I’ve been lurking for a while and trying to read as much as I can about the KTM 640. I’ve ridden dirt bikes in the past and I’m looking into getting a dual sport to ride with my brother. Anyway, the KTM 640 looks promising, but I haven’t decided on new versus used. Does anyone know the major differences from model year 2000 – 2004 (I know 2005 changes based on the current brochure). Is there anything specific I should look out for (i.e., potential issues) on a used 2000 – 2004 – if I go that route. Lastly, about how many miles will a well maintained 640 go before a major engine overhaul? Thanks for your help. Great site!
cpcf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
The big changes I know of happened in 2003:

1) High Flow head w/ larger exhaust valves
2) Magura hydraulic clutch
3) main bearing upgraded

but search around as this was beat to death in the past. the search engine here suxs so use Google and add the switch "site:www.advrider.com"

oh, the engine life varies based on use and maintenance, of course, but there are those that go 50K which ain't bad for a HP DS eh?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
If there was such a thing as www.640adv.com/faqs or similar that would be the place to go!! As that doesn't seem to exist, this is probably the next best place (any german sites?) to come for your research! '03 and onwards are better bikes.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
You need to tell us where you live. The 640 Adv was not brought into the US in 2004, and only in very limited numbers in '05. If I had to pick a year to buy used, it would be '03.

John Davies
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
'03 and onwards are better bikes.
I'm sure the good folks that own '02 and earlier bikes didn't misunderstand this statement and carrry no ill will towards you.

From the perspective of an '03 owner, and having ridden '02 and earlier bikes, I can safely say that the of all the "improvements" found on the '03, they hydraulic clutch is the most valued... and they make hydraulic clutch kits for the pre '03 bikes... so there is no reason at all not to look at a clean, well cared for pre '03 Adventure.
Personally, for the type of riding I do... the '04 to present bikes are more trublesome. Great for the street and dry trails, but for any serious off-roading, you would want to lose the right front brake and get a high mount front fender.

Try not to step on any more pre '03 toes... M-kay?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,165
Even though I have an '02, I wish I would have waited for the '03. The new & improved bearing, the hydro clutch, better center stand, HF head and other improvements are worth it (IMO). I like the color scheme for the '02 better tho

Nothing against an '02 or older, it's just that in this case, as with most bikes, the newer models are "better" than the old ones. OTOH, I think the '05s are more street oriented with the dual front disks and low front fender, but that's because the 640 and the 950 now share all the same parts up front. I think it was a cost savings move by KTM. This may or may not bother you. Finally, I just can't get over the day-glow orange metal flake paint on the 05's . It's just too much for me ....

Although - don't look away from the LC4e, or the 525 or 625. All depends on the type of riding you will be doing.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Even though I have an '02, I wish I would have waited for the '03. The new & improved bearing, the hydro clutch, better center stand, HF head and other improvements are worth it (IMO). I like the color scheme for the '02 better tho
Still... with the exception of the head, nothing that cannot be "upgraded" for not a whole lot of money.

Speaking of heads... I'll have two blueprinted "High Flows" up for grabs in a week or two. One with the '03 cam.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

[QUOTE=creeper]Still... with the exception of the head, nothing that cannot be "upgraded" for not a whole lot of money.

No argument there.

Anyway - if I had never seen or heard about the '03, I'd never know what I was 'missing' and would still be riding along happily without a care. Hmmm - I do that already
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Speaking of heads... I'll have two blueprinted "High Flows" up for grabs in a week or two. One with the '03 cam.
Are those "optimized" for use with the FCR carburetor?
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

[QUOTE=Velocibiker]
Quote:
Still... with the exception of the head, nothing that cannot be "upgraded" for not a whole lot of money.

No argument there.

Anyway - if I had never seen or heard about the '03, I'd never know what I was 'missing' and would still be riding along happily without a care. Hmmm - I do that already
'Zactly the way I feel. That's why when I joke about selling my bike for $8000 or more... I'm not really joking.
I mean, what the hell would I replace it with?... another 640 Adventure of course.
That's why when a few weeks ago, that guy that was trying to sell his NOS '03 for what he paid for it ($9200 OTD... what a putz), I was secretly rooting for him... nothing like a high selling price to set a precident.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Are those "optimized" for use with the FCR carburetor?
A really good port is not all that picky about the name on the side of the carb.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcf250
Hello, I’ve been lurking for a while and trying to read as much as I can about the KTM 640. I’ve ridden dirt bikes in the past and I’m looking into getting a dual sport to ride with my brother. Anyway, the KTM 640 looks promising, but I haven’t decided on new versus used. Does anyone know the major differences from model year 2000 – 2004 (I know 2005 changes based on the current brochure). Is there anything specific I should look out for (i.e., potential issues) on a used 2000 – 2004 – if I go that route. Lastly, about how many miles will a well maintained 640 go before a major engine overhaul? Thanks for your help. Great site!
A few more specific answers for ya:

Issues? Some reports of excessive clutch cable breakage. Front fork seal leakage. (I've had neither >>knock on wood<<)

Major engine overhaul? Lots and lots and lots or miles. That's one of the major benefits of the LC4 motor. It's the Energizer Bunny of motors..
Old 04-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
It's the Energizer Bunny of motors..
Hey Chris... here is a made in heaven photoshop op!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #14
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,726
Bottom Line

the LC4 engine has been tested & beaten to pulp from its inception, history proves that. Every body likes NEW, but cannot afford, nor need due to application. 3 mod's which are basic, with clutch being the most signifcant should not become a factor in buying a used motorcycle of any brand. If thats the case then resale of ALL bikes would become extinct, but we all no that will never be the case. RIDE ON!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #15
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Hey Chris... here is a made in heaven photoshop op!
Not quite sure how to use it....maybe I'll think of something
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote