ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
1974 Kawasaki F7 175 Info Please...

I'm buying an old F7 for the wife to learn on. I don't have any sort of manual for the bike and haven't been able to find much info online. I need to know what to put in the oil injection tank. And how much of what should we put in the crank case? What spark plug? I'll be ordering a Clymer's shop manual for it, but we'd like to get the bike fired up. Any suggestions for locating parts for Ol' Blue? Thanks, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,171
injector oil in the tank. there is no oil in the crank case the oil is in the transmission..it is a two stroke..as for the tranny just about anything would work some 10/30 motorcycle oil would be fine..plug is probably a B7 to B9ES..what does it have now ?
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
Thanks for getting back to me, Jeff. I haven't taken delivery of the bike yet, so I don't know what type of spark plug is in it. I haven't owned a 2 stroke for about 30 years. There isn't ANY oil in the crank case? This'll be a relearning exercise for me. I'll track down some sort of manual for it this morning. Thanks again, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer
 
Shocktower's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Oregon City Orygun
Oddometer: 9,286
Questions how long has the bike been sitting ?, as far as the injector drain the tank (oil tank) and put injector speific oil in it, not premix,
__________________
Alexa Drew Nov 9 1995- Oct 28th 2004 Miss you baby


'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
The bike hasn't been registered since the mid 90's, but it's been ridden a few times on camping trips over the past 6 years. I saw it running about 2 years ago. As far as I know, it needs a good clean-up and a basic tune-up. The fork seals are also smoked. Those are still available. Thanks for your consideration, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
There isn't ANY oil in the crank case? .
I may have been too literal or technical..but the crank/rod/piston is all lubed by the the gas/oil mixture coming in the intake.

http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html

the oil in the "case" is just in the transmission half...thus when a crank seal goes out on a two stroke it starts sucking in the tranny oil and smoking very heavy..and if you run the 80wt tranny oil like i do in my older bikes the smoke has a more distinctive smell then the injector/premix oil.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Uniontown, MO
Oddometer: 654
For what it's worth.....recently I bought three F7 175 Kawasakis. Two have titles and the other is a parts bike. I forget which is which, but they're all '74 and '75 models if I recall correctly. So......should you need any parts there's a chance I'd have something you need. Feel free to post other questions if you have any, since I have an actual Kawasaki manual for the F7 as well as some of their other "enduro" bikes.

I got the nicest one running of my three, and intend to sell it when the weather gets a little bit nicer. The 2nd one with a title, is in process of re-assembly in sort of a "street-tracker" style. I plan to ride it for a while.

Best wishes with your bike.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
I may have been too literal or technical..but the crank/rod/piston is all lubed by the the gas/oil mixture coming in the intake.

http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html

the oil in the "case" is just in the transmission half...thus when a crank seal goes out on a two stroke it starts sucking in the tranny oil and smoking very heavy..and if you run the 80wt tranny oil like i do in my older bikes the smoke has a more distinctive smell then the injector/premix oil.

It seems as though the intake charge should all get burned in the combustion process, and the bottom end would be out of luck as far as lubrication.

Ah, the pleasant aroma of gear oil. That takes me back to my '72 Norton. Thank You, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
For what it's worth.....recently I bought three F7 175 Kawasakis. Two have titles and the other is a parts bike. I forget which is which, but they're all '74 and '75 models if I recall correctly. So......should you need any parts there's a chance I'd have something you need. Feel free to post other questions if you have any, since I have an actual Kawasaki manual for the F7 as well as some of their other "enduro" bikes.

I got the nicest one running of my three, and intend to sell it when the weather gets a little bit nicer. The 2nd one with a title, is in process of re-assembly in sort of a "street-tracker" style. I plan to ride it for a while.

Best wishes with your bike.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn. I ordered a Clymer's manual a few minutes ago. The battery on the bike is dead. I know the bike NEEDS to have a battery installed, but do I need a working battery? Isn't it basically a "current sink" in this application? I may need a factory front fender at some time in the future. Would you have one to sell? Thanks again, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer
 
MacNoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: The mosquito-y Center of Canada
Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
It seems as though the intake charge should all get burned in the combustion process, and the bottom end would be out of luck as far as lubrication.
No, the oily intake charge goes to the bottom end FIRST - then transfers from the crankcase to the combustion chamber.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
No, the oily intake charge goes to the bottom end FIRST - then transfers from the crankcase to the combustion chamber.

I'm BUSTED! I had no idea how a 2 stroke engine worked. Jeff's animation cleared it up. Thanks Jeff. That explains why the carb on the F7 is buried inside the cases. Thanks guys, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
JeffS77
cheap bastard
 
JeffS77's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Riverside , CA
Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
I'm BUSTED! I had no idea how a 2 stroke engine worked. Jeff's animation cleared it up. Thanks Jeff. That explains why the carb on the F7 is buried inside the cases. Thanks guys, Kelly.

Actually the carb is off the side of the case because it has a rotary valve intake..and not the more common reed valve or piston port.....but thats a whole nother thang.

http://www.freeengineinfo.com/two-st...nduction-1.htm
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Kelly_O OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
Actually the carb is off the side of the case because it has a rotary valve intake..and not the more common reed valve or piston port.....but thats a whole nother thang.

http://www.freeengineinfo.com/two-st...nduction-1.htm

Damn straight, it's a nuther thang. I'd wondered WTF a rotary valve was all about. Thank Jeff. I'm enjoying 2 stroke 101, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Uniontown, MO
Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
Thanks Lynn. I ordered a Clymer's manual a few minutes ago. The battery on the bike is dead. I know the bike NEEDS to have a battery installed, but do I need a working battery? Isn't it basically a "current sink" in this application? I may need a factory front fender at some time in the future. Would you have one to sell? Thanks again, Kelly.
I may have a front fender, but I don't think it's "show quality". I'll try to remember to see what I have and send you a PM.

As far as having a battery....my understanding is that they'll run without one but it'll burn up the ignition module or something. Sorry for the lack of specific info.....just part of a memory of something I read.

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Uniontown, MO
Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
Damn straight, it's a nuther thang. I'd wondered WTF a rotary valve was all about. Thank Jeff. I'm enjoying 2 stroke 101, Kelly.
Ah, rotary valve! The one of three of the bikes I got running would start and kinda idle when I first tried it, but it would spit back through the carb if you tried to rev it. Finally took a good look at the rotary valve's opening and closing, with relation to the direction of piston travel and position. I had been told the valve was replaced, and sure enough it was off by about 180 degrees. Actually the Kawasaki manual seemed a bit unclear/vague about what mark(s) to use to "time" it. Finally decided on a position that seemed close to the degrees of opening and closing according to the manual. Movements, spline to spline, are quite a few degrees at a time because of the relatively course splines on the crank where the rotary valve slides on. Must have gotten it good. Bike ran when I got it back together Honestly I don't know how the bike even started before I re-timed the rotary valve. It was open on the piston downstroke.

To say the valve is a job to get to is an understatement. About all that was left to do yet was split the cases. Even had to make a special tool to hold the clutch basket to remove the nut that retains it on the trans input shaft.

Lynn .
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014