User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #16
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Can't wait!
"It's 2:00am; I have run out of gas, been attacked by a wild animal, played the running of the bulls on a major roadway and repaired an equipment malfunction. I have traveled a total of 22.5 miles in 3 hours and I can still see the New York skyline. This is going to be a very long ride." - Rogue 1

'04 KLR650
'04 BMW R1150R
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #17
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDaddy
I depart there after a lunch of Vienna Sausages (weenies in a can – excellent adventure food) and roll on to the Trace and Little Mountain. I’ve read here about altitude changes affecting the way the bike runs, so I pay close attention especially as I reach the parking lot at the top. Elevation 505 ft. My bike seemed to handle it fine.[/color]

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
dwestmodesto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Rally to the First Service Interval, 2005

Congrats on the new bike. Great first post. I have special instructions for you. Since the bike is a dual-sport, part of the break-in procedure involves going out to it, looking at it on its center stand and knocking it down. This is required to properly give the bike its first scratches. Untill it has its first scratch it can't be a true dual sport. By knocking it down while not riding you will save yourself the stress of wondering when and where you bike will finally become "real"....sort of like rubbing the fuzzy stuff off of the velvating rabbit.
Ride safe.
Next picture I want to see the bike covered in thick, slimey mud.
Hasta,
Dave
Quote:
When we last left Noobie Adventure Boy, he was dreaming sweet AdvRider dreams. In this episode, he is told to make himself scarce on Saturday. We rejoin the action…

My wife is getting ready for a job interview, so I have been encouraged to get out of the house on Saturday. Can do!

Thursday and Friday I rode into work. Work isn’t any better, but getting to work is a lot better! Despite my dire predictions of daily rain for three months following the purchase of my new motorcycle, the weather has been great.

I call the shop and my clothes have come in. I got the JoeRocket Phoenix 3.0 mesh jacket and the AlterEgo pants. Not super adventure clothes, but works well for commuting. Good ventilation and the pants fit nicely over my work clothes. So I put the leather jacket away and now I look like this…a big yellow tool!

I learned that at work I could get all the way down to where I pull on to the 45mph four-lane before I run out of gas when I don’t cut it on!!! Also, a brighter headlight would be nice. Overdriving the headlight at 45-50 mph. The low beam really sucks, especially with bugs on the face shield.

The weekend is here so I’ll get more riding in then. I have 200 miles on the odometer, so the leaves 300 for this weekend before my first service at 500 miles.

Like a good little adventurer, I mount up my GPS and get ready to go. The is the second prototype mount.

On the first one, the duct tape covered the screen so I couldn’t read the GPS. The second prototype is going into production just send me $0.35 with $5.00 shipping and handling. I can probably match your bike color.

Everyone here talks about how riding in the mountains sucks, so I figured that I better go check it out from myself. I head out to Little Mountain on the Natchez Trace. I swing by a friend’s cabin on the way. The road into his place looks like this.

I depart there after a lunch of Vienna Sausages (weenies in a can – excellent adventure food) and roll on to the Trace and Little Mountain. I’ve read here about altitude changes affecting the way the bike runs, so I pay close attention especially as I reach the parking lot at the top. Elevation 505 ft. My bike seemed to handle it fine.

Here is the view from the top.

The sign says you can see for 20 miles on a clear day. I stood on a picnic table, so I think I saw 21 miles…

Here is the road down.

I use engine braking so I don’t overheat the brakes. It’s a pretty sweet road, minus the 20mph speed limit. Federal Performance Awards are extra special.

Took the next gravel road I came to and found this stream.

Followed to road a long and found some folks digging a big hole in the ground. Its the new lignite coal mine and Red Hills Power Plant. Read more here. Big trucks and even bigger dragline, with an 82-cubic-yard bucket.

Headed via random road choices guided by GPS toward Sturgis. Heard about motorcycles and Sturgis. Figured I would check around…

Found early evidence of motorcycling in Sturgis.

This is actually the cool sign for Bench Mark Works.

Some of the BMW riders here may know of Vetch. He does vintage restorations. Check out his museum here: http://members.aol.com/sweetlybee/museum.html

He is also associated with the Sturgis South Motorcycle Rally. 30,000 plus attendance last year.

I roll out of Sturgis and head back toward the Noxubee Refuge. Since its spring, the dogwoods are blooming…

I tool through there for a bit and notice more trees and water to photograph…

I turn the camera on myself. The adventurer and his new clothes…

I have ridden almost 150 miles today so its time to go home. I have to leave some mileage for tomorrow. Its been 3.5 days and I am rapidly approaching my 500 mile service.

I roll into the driveway freaking the dogs out again. On my way in, I find this...

Despite working on a major presentation for a job interview on Monday, my wife went out, bought beer, and had it waiting for my triumpant return. How much does that suck?

Here is my beer and the view of my back porch. Adventure sucks.

Tune in next time when Noobie Adventure Boy burns off the rest of the mileage so he can get the 500 mile service out of the way.
dwestmodesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #19
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:17 AM   #20
LKK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60

Hi DataDaddy

I visited Vech's shop in 2003, Elaine and Vech are nice people.

My wife and I stayed at Sturgis for 2weeks and we love it.

Jeff
TAIWAN

IBA 28701
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #21
DataDaddy OP
@ the new dad thing

Oddometer: 7,557
Rally to the First Service Interval, 2005 -- Last Installment

In this episode, DataWife has left for her job interview in Michigan and Adventure Boy has been left to his own devices. We rejoin the action…

Dropped my wife off at the airport for her flight out to Michigan and headed home. A quick lunch and I was on the road. There are a bunch of cool roads around here, though most of them include at least some gravel…gee darn. I pound around the county heading east and come upon this road.

As I am taking the picture, I notice a dog ahead in the road. Search, Evaluate, Execute! yeha, yeah, that's the ticket...

As I got closer, the possibly dangerous dog, turns into a deer.

I didn’t remember it being this pixilated…

The first destination for today’s ride was the old Tibbee Creek bridge. Since bridges are so often included in AdvRider reports, I figured I should include one as well. Plus, I wanted to ride across the bridge…

Here is the Tibbee Creek Bridge. I am not sure how old it is…

But it is a single lane, wooden decked bridge. I drove across it 3 or 4 years ago. Sadly, today it is closed and has been replaced with a modern concrete bridge. Cool bridge though.

This lake sits further up the road. Pretty cool place with all the trees in the water.

Here’s where I drop the ball… Since, I am riding with a fanny pack, the camera is hard to get to…and the riding is too much fun. So for the next 30 miles, I don’t stop and I don’t take any pictures…(so I’ll do my best to steal from the internet…).

I rode to the turn-around here: John C. Stennis Lock. Columbus, MS.

Picture credit: Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Development Authority

Here’s the map. Columbus, MS is the main city in the map.

This route included about 20 miles of awesome gravel through hardwood forest and swampy areas along Old Macon Road. Didn’t even think of the camera.

Stopped at a little country store for a drink and a snack. It turned out to be a neat community gathering place with people milling about and talking and various groups passing through between church services. Talked with a truck driver while I snacked and just listened to the conversations.

After hanging out for half an hour, I headed to the house. Found a great little paved road with a series of good curves and elevation changes (at least for Mississippi). The sun was headed down, as I cruised home down this road.

Odometer reading 489. The shop closed on Monday, so with the ride into work and various other excursions, I have 518 miles on the bike when I drop it off at the shop on Tuesday morning.
I pull up with the bike on the trailer (DataWife is out of town couldn’t do the ride and drop-off thing). Carl the owner is out front helping a guy unload a Goldwing that got rear-ended. Having finished that, he looks up a spots me. Again, that strange “your still alive” look flashes across his face.

Carl: “Why aren’t you riding today?”

AdvBoy: “Got to put my bike in your shop.”

C: (look of concern) “What wrong?”

AB: “Got five hundred miles on it. Needs it’s first service.”

C: (relieved smile changing to bemusement) “You’re kidding, Right? You just picked the bike up Wednesday.”

AB: “Nope. Would’ve brought it in yesterday, but you're closed on Mondays.”

C: "Where you'd go?"

AB: "All over the place..."

C: (just shakes his head…)

THE END

This ends the first in what will surely by many exciting adventures. Where will our semi-fearless adventurer go next? What does the road hold in store for him? He is contemplating an adventure over to The 15th Annual Georgia Mountain Rally this coming weekend…a nice 370 mile adventure each way. Should Noobie Adventure Boy go? What should he take? When can he drop the “Noobie?” Only time will tell… Only time will tell.

DataDaddy screwed with this post 04-05-2006 at 02:52 PM
DataDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:27 AM   #22
Tiras
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Great report man! Looking forward to reading your next report...
"It's 2:00am; I have run out of gas, been attacked by a wild animal, played the running of the bulls on a major roadway and repaired an equipment malfunction. I have traveled a total of 22.5 miles in 3 hours and I can still see the New York skyline. This is going to be a very long ride." - Rogue 1

'04 KLR650
'04 BMW R1150R
Tiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:36 AM   #23
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,769
Let's be honest - this report sucks!!
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #24
Metal Doc
Duc addicted

Oddometer: 1,446
Thanks for makin the afternoon entertaining. Look forward to more reports.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #25
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324

Welcome to the addiction that is adventure riding, D-Dad.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #26
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,762
Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy the new bike and don't let some of these guys give you shit just because you don't have 5,000 posts. Everyone was a nOOb at some time.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #27
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,985
Quote:
C: "Where you'd go?"

AB: "All over the place..."

C: (just shakes his head…)

THE END
~ Well done! great report, you live in a beautiful area! ~ Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #28
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Great bike
Great gear
Great roads
Great GPS mount
Great porch

Great report, DataDaddy!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #29
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer: 585
"To a man of imagination, a map is a window to adventure." -- Sir Francis Chichester (1902-1972)
lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:32 AM   #30
simonm
Stealth Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Great report.
Get a bike and people all over the www give ya