User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,001
Philadelphia & Reading 4-8-4 "Northern" Type Locomotive 2100 - Very Cool!

This train is stored near by and my friend got permission to go check it out so I took my camera along with me. This engine is HUGE! It was amazing to see an engine like this up close, it is very complex in design and would take a TON of maint to keep this unit running.

It was operational up till 2006 when it was parked and has been sitting since. It has been converted from coal fired to an oil burner but from what I've read on the net the conversion wasn't done successfully and damage to the fire box etc may have occurred. It's a shame to see it sitting out in the weather, although we do live in a desert climate so it should hold up pretty good being stored here out side. Hopefully some day someone will buy it and restore it or at least move it inside to a museum etc. There has been some vandalism by teens etc who broke out the windows and glass on the front lights...Grrrrrr, why can't people just respect items like this and leave them alone!

Only 4 of the T1 engines still exist...making this a very rare piece of history!

This site has a lot of info on the T1 engines, along with quite a bit of history on 2100. CLICK HERE

And a link off youtube of 2100 in action after being converted to a oil burner

I snapped a lot of pictures of this rare piece of history, thought some of you might like a close look as well.

And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 06:09 PM
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
What a Grand old machine!

Thanks for posting the pics
Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
What a piece of American history. Thanks for posting. Really sad to see the irreplaceable glass lens of the ditch lights and headlights broken. Hopefully it will find a good home somewhere before more vandalism occurs.
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn has a 4-6-6-6 on display. The most powerful locomotive ever produced.

The ultimate locomotive on the C&O and one for which it will always be remembered is the 2-6-6-6 simple articulated H-8 class Allegheny type. It is the only steam locomotive to handle a 6-wheel trailing truck (because of its cavernous fire box), and generated the highest instantaneous and sustained drawbar horsepower at speed of any steam locomotive. It was also the heaviest locomotive ever built. Some say that if the C&O had used this wonderful machine to its fullest potential it could have routinely outperformed even the diesels. Sixty of these giants were built between 1941 and 1948. Two remain, Number 1601 at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI and Number 1694 at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore,

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn has a 4-6-6-6 on display. The most powerful locomotive ever produced.

The ultimate locomotive on the C&O and one for which it will always be remembered is the 2-6-6-6 simple articulated H-8 class Allegheny type. It is the only steam locomotive to handle a 6-wheel trailing truck (because of its cavernous fire box), and generated the highest instantaneous and sustained drawbar horsepower at speed of any steam locomotive. It was also the heaviest locomotive ever built. Some say that if the C&O had used this wonderful machine to its fullest potential it could have routinely outperformed even the diesels. Sixty of these giants were built between 1941 and 1948. Two remain, Number 1601 at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI and Number 1694 at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore,
Built in Scenic Lima, Ohio. The factory is now gone, but it was an immense complex. All done with no CAD no CAM, just brute force, hand operated machine tools, muscle and sweat.

Lima as a locomotive producer, didn't survive the end of steam, they did build some diesels, but it seemed their heart wasn't in it. After a merger with Baldwin, they continued building cranes and some other construction equipment, last under the Clark name, until about 1980.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
I believe a sister to the Reading loco above pulled the Freedom Train thru our town around 1976. The Lima SP "Daylight" used out west was too big for the tunnels out east. I believe the Daylight still runs today, but the loco from the freedom train burned up in a shed fire. (yeah, a steam loco perished in a fire.)
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
I never cease to be amazed at not only the sheer size and weight of these old pieces of machinery, but the fact they seemed to be built with such artistic quality as well as the technological prowess. They are, even in these days of technological wonderment, an amazing peice of machinery to look at. It is not only hard to believe they were built to such a scale in the times they were built, but that men with hand tools and basic chain hoists and such maintained and repaired them. I also hear they took a boggling amount of maintenance. I love to see them in person for the sheer scale of them.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,895
A living breathing Northern-- UP 844

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
Great pics; thanks much for posting.

I posted a link to this thread on the Railway Preservation News "Interchange" forum (http://www.rypn.org); it's generated a lot of discussion there today.

The outfit that moved this engine out west apparently had big plans for its operation but didn't do a very good job of planning. The oil firing conversion was apparently poorly engineered and didn't work well (we've been oil-firing locomotives since about 1900 so it's not like it's cutting edge technology).

Sure would be good to see this engine get put right again and put back into service.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,911
Thumb

Very nice pics!! Thanks for posting I love steam engines of all types and have seen the one in the Ford museum. It too is an impressive sight!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,345
There's a 4-8-8-4 in Dallas at the Fair Park museum.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,433
I am always astounded / impresed / intrigued about the height of the flange on the wheels, they never look enough to stay on the rails - but they do

BIG bit of kit

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
I am always astounded / impresed / intrigued about the height of the flange on the wheels, they never look enough to stay on the rails - but they do

BIG bit of kit

Hay Ewe
Hay Ewe,

I'm noticing some commonality in your posts!

Flange! Not that there is anything wrong with that at all...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: