User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,438
The Shortypants Gear thread

This thread is for the RFS (really f'ing short) ladies out there in ADV land.

My name is Kelly, I am 40yo, and 5'0", 27" inseam.
And proper trail riding/dual sporting gear has been hella hard to find. I've been riding almost 4 years now and have found some stuff that works and thought I would share with y'all.

I'm primarily a trail rider, but here in Colorado many of our rides require street connectors. And my gear reflects that...kind of a mix of trail and dual sport gear.

I guess I will start from the top...

The helmet I wear most is an Arai VX PRO

It fits great (size small), pretty light weight, and quiet. Vents pretty well except for on really hot days and when riding tight trails.

It was super hot this summer in Colorado so I picked up a Klim F4 helmet on ebay. It's an older model because Klim doesn't make size small helmets anymore.

This is the new version...

This is the only pic I could find of me in the F4.

I've only had a couple of rides at the end of the summer with mine, but the venting is awesome! So much cooler than the Arai on hot days, but I have to work on the fit. It's a little big with the stock pads, but thicker ones are available and I'm going to give that a try. I'll report back on the F4 after the Colorado riding season starts again.

Goggles

The goggles that I have found that fit the best so far are SPY Alloy's. The have a little smaller frame than some of their other models and fit well with my small helmets.

Don't bother with the Targa's, the frame is much larger. I bought a pair and had to give them to my husband.

I just picked up a pair of Ariete goggles from MX1WEST.

I haven't tried them yet, but my friend Neduro used them in the Dakar and swears by them. He says they vent better than any other goggle he has tried. He is usually right about these things...but lucky for me he is my neighbor so I can kick him in the shins if he is wrong.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Pressure Suit

I really like my Thor Impact Rig SE pressure suit. I'm not very "chesty" so the guy's version works just fine.

I did have to make a slight modification, the back protector piece was a little too long and kept sliding up when I rode. It was driving me crazy so I got out the tin snips and cut off the very last piece.

Before:

After:

My mod worked like a charm and it's really comfortable to wear now. The fit probably isn't as snug as it should be, but even with that said I feel the protection it offers is superior to a chest protector. Just my .02.

Here's a pic of me and my very tall friend Mike Chill in out matching pressure suits.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

I'll try to get the rest of my gear tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Base layer

My favorite base layer shirt is my Klim Lady Tech T. It's synthetic, packs small, and dries fast. Best of all, it also works well as a casual shirt.

This is the newer version.

Jersey

Whatever I can find that fits and isn't pink.

I also stay away from black or dark colored jerseys. Wearing a black jersey in the Utah desert will suck the life right out of you.

Jackets

This is the one piece of kit I am never without, Klim Stowaway Jacket.
I love this jacket, it's lightweight, packs small, and it's goretex. It's a perfect layer to start with on cold mornings. It's also great for riding in the unexpected Colorado snow storm...

I'm on the left wearing my stowaway jacket. And yes, I have some crazy dirt biking girlfriends that will ride with me even in the snow.

What the weather looked like later that day.

My core stayed warm and dry all day.

I received the new Stowaway jacket as a xmas present and cannot wait to try it out. It has some nice new features, such as underarm vents and a detachable hood.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,115
As the husband of a "shortypants" lady, I am eagerly awaiting the tale of how you found pants that fit.

And if you have itty bitty widdle baby feet, we'd also love to know where the heck you found wee boots.

Oh yeah, talk about your gloves, too.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 02:03 PM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
As the husband of a "shortypants" lady, I am eagerly awaiting the tale of how you found pants that fit.

And if you have itty bitty widdle baby feet, we'd also love to know where the heck you found wee boots.

Oh yeah, talk about your gloves, too.

That's all on the agenda for maybe tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Pants

My pants of choice are the Klim Dakars. Pretty much everyone I ride with, male or female, wears Klim pants of some sort. They really are a quality product.

My first pair of pants were a god awful pair of purple plaid Fox pants. I don't know what I was thinking, they were about 6 inches too long and so obnoxious.

One day I went down to my local motorcycle shop and walked past the rack of Klim pants. The first pair I grabbed was a size 30, I held them up and thought "wow, these look kind of short". I tried them on and miraculously they were just about a perfect fit!

This is a goofy pic, but you get the idea.

3 seasons of riding and many crashes later, I still love them. They are comfortable, vent well, and I no longer look like I'm riding in my pajamas.

Here's a shot of me and my Klim pants in action...

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Boots

The boots I've been wearing since day 1 are Alpinestars Stella Tech 6's.

I wear a size 7 1/2 which is an easy to find size in women's boots. However I do have "athletic" calves and these boots have more than enough strap length to accommodate. They are stiff and took a while to get used to, but I think they offer better protection as compared with the softer sole Tech 3's.

After 4 seasons of riding I thought I'd better start looking for a new boot and ordered a pair of Sidi Stinger youth boots. I saw them mentioned in another thread, I started to search and ended up ordering them from company in Germany. I couldn't find any US websites that had them in stock. The price even with shipping was reasonable for a decent boot, but they took about 2 months to arrive.

I only have one ride in them so far, I'm not sure they are going to be any better than my Tech 6's. What I do know is that they are not as adjustable as the Alpinestars. It was a tight squeeze even with the straps as far as they would go. I'm going to give them a few more rides, but they may end up in the flea market pretty soon.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
SteelRain
Beer Cooled

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Not to hijack what will be great gear thread/report. For my P1 we just got her DS pants that fit at the waist and groin areas then had the length tailored (by the same guy who does my racing leathers and offroad repairs). Previous to that we used Kids MX pants and tailored the pants for over-the-boot wear like the Klim Dakar Pants.

All that said, I am "IN" on this thread for some ideas for my 59.9 inch "shorty"

Riley, this was a great idea!
XR650R (plated) - Disaster is falling in love with me; maybe I should stop flirting.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Gloves

Gloves have been another tricky thing to get right. I've been in between sizes on many of the women's gloves. The smalls have been way too small and the mediums too big. I did find a pair of Scorpion women's cool hand gloves, size medium was just right. They are more of a street glove and have a leather palm. But honestly I don't mind the extra protection. I use my hands every day at work and can't stand the thought of tearing up my hands on a get off.

The Klim fairy came again for Xmas with a new pair of Mojave gloves. Size small is a good fit and I think they will be great for more technical trial riding.

Region Riley screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 07:20 AM
Region Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Hydration Packs

I've been riding with a Klim Nac Pak for about a year now. It holds just the right amount of gear and doesn't feel too heavy or bulky.

It comes with a really nifty removable tool pack, goggle pouch and a 3L bladder.

It is a little bit longer than I would like for my short torso. But it's only slightly noticeable when I'm stopped or off the bike, I really don't notice it at all while I'm riding.

My old pack was a Fox thingy of some sort.

I still revert back to it occasionally if I'm riding with the hubby and don't have to worry about tools/tubes. It's pretty minimal, just a 2L bladder and one little extra pocket. But the length was just right.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
Not to hijack what will be great gear thread/report. For my P1 we just got her DS pants that fit at the waist and groin areas then had the length tailored (by the same guy who does my racing leathers and offroad repairs). Previous to that we used Kids MX pants and tailored the pants for over-the-boot wear like the Klim Dakar Pants.

All that said, I am "IN" on this thread for some ideas for my 59.9 inch "shorty"

Riley, this was a great idea!
Thanks! Please feel free to jump in with pics, comments, suggestions...the more the merrier.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

Jackets cont

I almost forgot my Klim Valdez jacket. I wore this jacket on a two week trip to Baja and it was a great choice. It vents really well and it's goretex so no need to carry an extra liner. Again I choose this jacket so I would have some extra protection on the road portions of the trip. I'm just not comfortable in a jersey/pressure suit alone on the street.

My only complaint on the Valdez is the fit. I had to get a Medium to fit my hips and it is way too big, but did fit over my pressure suit nicely. I sure wish Klim would make some women specific gear. Anyway, it was still a great choice and I've lost 15 lbs since that trip so maybe a small would fit me now.

I've got my eye on one the new Klim Latitude jacket. It's got built in armour, so no need to worry about fitment with a pressure suit.
Maybe the Klim fairy will come again for my birthday.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Region Riley OP
rally kit widow

more Pressure Suit options

Many of my friends wear the Alpinestars Stella Bionic. I really think it is the only woman specific pressure suit available.

Rokgardn used to make the Lady Flak Jacket, but it's no longer listed on their website. It looks to me like it's the same as the men's version only pink.

Acerbis makes the Lady Koerta Roost Deflector. Not a true pressure suit, but it looks bomber compared to some of the other roost guards.

I'm thinking about a Leatt Adventure for my next pressure suit. Not woman specific but the size range seems to be a little smaller than the Thor Impact Rig. Thor's small/medium size fits up to 160lbs and the Leatt's S/M fits up to 130lbs.

That's about the extent of my gear/research...I hope it helps some of the other shorties out there! I'm always looking for new gear and I will update as often as my pocket book will allow.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,115
Great gear reports!

I was sort of afraid you'd say Klim pants... damn, their street/dual-sport gear is crazy expensive. We're pretty sure a set of their "short" pants would fit my wife -- she was able to try on a pair of "regular" length pants a few months ago, and they fit well aside from being too long.

We've been able to find some gloves for my wife by looking through the kid's sizes in MX gear. Not a lot of women's gloves with fingers short enough, and very little street gear.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote