Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

Oddometer: 345
Starting to plan a single cylinder dream...

Hi!

How are you all?

I create this thread today to ask you about something I'm starting to think about...
I'm thinking about saving money (here in Argentina it is certainly difficult to get bikes as cheap as in the US) to buy a used bike needing repairs and to spend as much as necessary to get it riding and use it for touring on and off road.

After talking with some mates I closed my range to three bikes possible...
- Yamaha XT 600
- Kawasaki KLX 650 (almost discarded)
- Kawasaki KLR 250

A relative suggested the 250, just because it would be easier to repair and a little cheaper, but seeing the prices here it is almost the same as the XT, and the spares are almost like the bigger bike's ones.

I've been told that the 250 has oil starvation problems where the camshafts are, and I'm scared because of the lenght of the cam chain.. How much does it last?

About the KLX, sicerely I think it is too much for me, I prefer a low bike that I could cruise all day long, and I really don't care about the speed, about 110/120 Km/h and a little rest for passing cars or trucks is enough for me..

One of the things I considered more when selecting these bikes was the mechanical simplicity, and I think that is a good point of the XT, the only thing I found to be a little problematic was the fact that it has 2carbs, but I can deal with that...

So tell me, after all these, which bike do you think would be better for me?

This is supposed to be a project to be made in about a year and a half or so, and I'm thinking not to sell my NX, and using it for everything else..

Thanks for reading and for answering!
Greetings from Argentina!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Hola, increíble encontrar alguien mas de argentina acá!, te sigo la respuesta en inglés para que todos lean.

So being myself from around here too i may help you to find a suitable bike for your project, how much are you willing to spend?
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

Jaja!

Es grande el mundo pero no tanto eh? jaaj!

I'm thinking about spending around $10000 (in Argentinian pesos, around $2000/$2500 dollars) and about $5000 ($1200 dollars) in repairs. Doing all the mechanics by myself..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,372
Sounds like you have all but ruled out the KLX, my favorite old school thumper. I do not know if you are talking about street or dirt version.

It makes a few more hp than others in its class, but my complaints are that it is tall and heavy. So where are you planning on riding the beast?

Assuming you are talking about the electric start dual sport version this is what I did. Modded the seat by giving it a shave and widened it. At 5-9 I can flat foot it, with minimal cost. I like hp. If you don't, that is what the throttle is for. To get more HP I went big bore, 678cc. 2 ways to do that and if not enough, you can get 685cc with higher compression if you like.

43mm usd forks that only need heavier oil to be competant. The rear shock is problamatic, so a resprung DRZ shock with some heavier oil solved the suspension problems. It comes with good brakes so stopping is not an issue. Despite some claims of a fragile engine, they are just not true. Just turn the chain tensioner into manual mode. A DIY project that is cheap to do.

I would rather do those mods than dealing with dialing in 2 carbs on a thumper.

OK a little more than you plan to invest, but a great do everything bike:
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

Yes, I can see your point about the KLX, for me it would be the ds model, not the dirt one. As I've already said, the use I'd give to it would be touring on and off road.

In my point of view, I see the KLX as a really tall bike... The weight is also a problem, but as I am more used to lower bikes, it would be certainly easier to handle it for me with another one, such as an XT..

And another problem is the money for buying different goodies, not to mention that there are some things that aren't available to buy here in Argentina, such as the DRZ forks.

Thanks for your comments!
Any XT or KLR 250 for adding any comment to the thread?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,372
Mine is the dual sport version. The forks are stock, the rear shock is the DRZ. Not the only option, but a cheap one for us.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you said about the shock..

Your bike is really nice, but I'm afraid I couldn't do anything like that with the money I'm pretending to spend, but thanks a lot for showing me a different option from the ones I was considering!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,726
Conozco Cordoba, he tirando las palomas cerca de alli.

In poor Spanish, "I know Cordoba, shot doves near there!"

My KL'R250 (2003) has proven itself reliable and capable; longed for it when I was in Argentina!

I know of no systemic oil-starvation problems, a rather straightforward set-screw and lock-nut adjustable valve clearance engine, rather simple for a 4-valve double overhead camshaft mill.

You might not win the Dakar on a KLR250, but--for the purpose you mention, I think the bike would be adequate.

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
McGoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
The dual carb set up on the XT is harder to tune in if required, but once it's right I have heard of very few problems with it. It has decent power, and is comfy to ride. The rear shock is fairly horrible though, it's quite soft and cushy. You can get a new spring for it for $250-odd, or you can spend big dollars and get a new shock and spring for $700-odd. I have heard that the new shock is the best thing you can do to these bikes, but it's not cheap.
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

So, I think I should just see what bike to buy in function of the money I have when buying it...

Thanks to you all for your opinions!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Have you considered a Dominator? sent you an email with one around here for cheap
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Conozco Cordoba, he tirando las palomas cerca de alli.

In poor Spanish, "I know Cordoba, shot doves near there!"

My KL'R250 (2003) has proven itself reliable and capable; longed for it when I was in Argentina!

I know of no systemic oil-starvation problems, a rather straightforward set-screw and lock-nut adjustable valve clearance engine, rather simple for a 4-valve double overhead camshaft mill.

You might not win the Dakar on a KLR250, but--for the purpose you mention, I think the bike would be adequate.

+1 on the KLR Jr. I love my '98. Easy to diagnose problems and work on, not much to go wrong, really. It will run all day in hot weather due to being liquid cooled, and will start pretty reliably in very cold weather too, with the choke. if you keep an eye on the valve adjustments and cam chain every 5000 miles you'll have no problems. Lots of luggage can be made to fit, and it will handle off-road and secondary roads as well as go all day at 60-65 on the freeway. 65-70 mpg is a bonus! You can even get an oversize tank from IMS to extend your range.

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=67273

Check out the threads this inmate puts up- he rides his KLR250 all over the top of the continental US- thousands of backroad miles, no problemo!

MotoJ screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 05:34 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Leo.G OP
Is still learning

I am really thinking about getting a KLR, but instead of buying it to work on directly, trying to restore it the best I can, I'm thinking about saving money to buy a good running bike with nothing wrong in it and to sell my current bike in order to do that.

Tell me, what is the cruise speed of the bike in Km/h? Could it cruise at about 100 or 110 Km/h with stock gearing?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Klr 250

I think 100kmh is about 60 mph so yes with stock gearing and my size 130 kilos the bike has no problem cruising - loaded for long weekend camping trips. I bought mine 4 years ago used and have put over 10,000 km on it. No problems. My 16 year old learned to drive a motorcycle with it ( hard duty) and no issues what so ever. The only problems I have heard with the valve train is if the valves are not kept adjusted and even then it will take a good bit of abuse before failing It is a simple job and if that and the normal maintenance (oil - chain - ect) are doneI expect the bike to run a long time. It is a lot of fun gets 60 mpg and loves to run in the mid to higher rpm range. Always starts on first or second kick.
I highly recommend it if you cannot tell. Be sure to keep it in your short list as you are looking.

Good Luck!
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote