Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,823
Question Left grip insulator?

I tried looking around but,

What type of material is best for wrapping your left side handlebar to keep the grip heat even again? I saw it once but. Is it black shrink wrap?

The handlebar sinks too much heat on the left side compared to the throttle side. I need to fix this on my XT.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
heated motorcycle heated grips usually have one grip wired to produce more heat on the left side.so first thing would to make sure that the grips haven't been mixed up. if you installed snow mobile h.grips then some sorta insulation is called for. i have heard of motorcyclest that used the aluminum wrap with adheasive on one side, to good effect.
the_gr8t_waldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 7,900
I've used a couple of layers of heat shrink tubing with good results - something that starts at about 1" diameter. You can find it at Home Depot or any electrical warehouse.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
heated motorcycle heated grips usually have one grip wired to produce more heat on the left side.so first thing would to make sure that the grips haven't been mixed up. if you installed snow mobile h.grips then some sorta insulation is called for. i have heard of motorcyclest that used the aluminum wrap with adheasive on one side, to good effect.

Grips for motorcycles are always different inside diameters- the larger of the two goes on the right, and its' raison d'etre is that the slightly greater I.D. will let it fit over the throttle tube.

So.... in most situations, it's kinda tough to put them on "backwards".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
I've used a couple of layers of heat shrink tubing with good results - something that starts at about 1" diameter. You can find it at Home Depot or any electrical warehouse.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

I didn't see anything in the instructions about on heater producing more heat and should be installed on the left side. It's always the things you don't know in life that get ya... I'd have to ohm them out or look for L or R on the elements. Luckily I got the heater element off with out destroying it with heat.

I have the aluminum duct tape, I can get some heat shink tubing today.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
MPH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I have used the heat-shrink tube that has heat-activated adhesive on the inside of it, followed by a wrap of thin Kapton tape, then the grip heaters, then lastly, the grip iteself.

Mark
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 10,353
IF you have bought heated GRIPS, then it will be obvious that one has a larger ID than the other. In this case, the left grip will indeed put out more heat. If, on the other hand, you have bought wrap-around grip HEATERS, then you have a point about the heat sink issue. If the manufacturer doesn't indicate that one puts out more heat than the other, the simple solution is to simply epoxy a plastic throttle tube onto the left side of the bars.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,263
I have two layers of heat shrink on mine and the bars still absorb A LOT of heat.

Another rider discovered that Rescue Tape (or any other self fusing silicone tape) insulates better and others have had good luck as well with it. I haven't used yet, but plan to switch next time I have the grips off.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,607
silicone tape

That's the ticket. That thread is in Equipment somewhere....here we go:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737648

Sarah
Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
mtwomey
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Good source for industrial grade heat shrink tubing with adhesive lining:
http://crimpsupply.com/shrink-tubing/adhesive-lined

They have it on the shelf and ship within hours of the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I have used the heat-shrink tube that has heat-activated adhesive on the inside of it, followed by a wrap of thin Kapton tape, then the grip heaters, then lastly, the grip iteself.

Mark
mtwomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Seems like thin plastic similar to throttle tube would be best. Mixed results with the heat shrink huh?

EDIT: I'm going with plastic. I have recyclable material, so I grabbed a 24 oz plastic #1 pop bottle, cut the flat center out and wrapped around the handlebar and taped. Put heat element around that. I'll let you know how it works. Ghetto fixes are something I always consider. Never know when you need to live off the land...

Now I have to figure out how to keep the grip from spinning.. whoops! I'll try some super 90 spray adhesive.

D.T. screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 10:05 AM
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,788
So how did it work out for you? I am installing some heated elements under my grips as we speak and I'd like to figure out this heat sink issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Seems like thin plastic similar to throttle tube would be best. Mixed results with the heat shrink huh?

EDIT: I'm going with plastic. I have recyclable material, so I grabbed a 24 oz plastic #1 pop bottle, cut the flat center out and wrapped around the handlebar and taped. Put heat element around that. I'll let you know how it works. Ghetto fixes are something I always consider. Never know when you need to live off the land...

Now I have to figure out how to keep the grip from spinning.. whoops! I'll try some super 90 spray adhesive.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Thumb

Fired it up the other day and the heat was nice and even! You have to use the spray adhesive to hold the plastic onto the handlebar though.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,536
Any Ski-Doo snowmobile shops nearby? 'Doo's use a thin cork layer between the bars and grip warmers. Works great.

Heat-shrink tubing will work too. Get the adhesive-lined stuff if you can find it.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Another recommendation for silicon tape, stuff works very well.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
www.drriders.com
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote