ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer
 
AviatorTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH/Stuart FL
Oddometer: 1,605
I ride a 1200gs but I'm sure the seat sucks just as bad. I drank the Airhawk cool aid for a time, it does help, no doubt about it. There are a lot of things that go into the comfort level of a seat, and every butt is different. The two most important things I feel are the ability to slide around and relieve pressure points, and a little ventilation on the crack and jewel area. The Airhawk does allow both, but so does my 8 dollar bead cover I made from a car seat cover. And I feel it is 98% as good as the Airhawk was, in fact I haven't used it in six months since I went to the butt beads. I'm pretty sure a sheep pad would do the same thing too. It's all up to personal preference..
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #32
DrRock
Adventurer
 
DrRock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 24
I have an Airhawk 2 small cruiser on my F800. I bought it after 3000 km into a cross Canada trip. Now that I have one, I would never travel over two hours without one.

The advantage of the Airhawk over seat replacements is that you can quickly remove it. The factory seat is great off road and let's face it, this is what most of us bought the F800 for.

The Airhawk does remove you from the bike, and this is great for the long ride to the trail, but this sucks off road.

My recommendation is to buy an Airhawk and buy wider pegs ( to stand on off road ) with the money you save on replacing the seat entirely.

my 2 cents...
DrRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #33
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 163
renazco seat w air hawk

i have found that even with the renazco seat that after 3 or more hours of riding that the airhawk is a must have and i put about a 1/2 " of air in it and it definitely saves my 225 pound ass.
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
Backinthegame
Backinthegame
 
Backinthegame's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Blue Mtns
Oddometer: 6
[QUOTE=MoodyBlues;18038142]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I use the Medium Cruiser pad to get more support on the outsides for better weight distribution....


Ditto. Same size. Gives me enough room to move around on long hauls.
Sounds like I made the right choice. I just ordered today Airhawk AH2MED AH2 Medium Cruiser Cushion from http://cycleplicity.com/products/675...r_cushion.aspx

Backinthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #35
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 283
They make an adventure airhawk now. I haven't personally used it, but I didn't see it mentioned here on my scroll through. It is in the higher up series, so like $170 bucks, but it may be more optimized for seat shape.

I used an airhawk on my CB before I got the bimmer (comfort seat on the 800ADV seems fine so far), and I had mixed feelings about it. Granted, they didn't really make one that fit super well on my bike, which led to my cheeks kinda hanging over and getting uncomfortable on longer rides (small pillion was the only thing not too wide to go on it), but I wasn't a fan of completely changing seat "feel".

It sort of threw off my mojo, if you will. The 800ADV comfort seat might suffice for longer hauls, haven't tested it over a couple of hundred miles yet, but I'm afraid of the added inch of height to the already tip toe 35"
__________________
Bike: 2014 BMW F800GSA, Sand Rover Matte

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #36
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,192
Motorrad nonsense. They offer a "comfort" seat for another $500 admitting that the stock seat they designed and fitted bikes with is a POS. Go figure.
Amazing they could put a decent seat on a 14 year old 1150GS but cant get it right for the F series.
Unlike the AirHawk solution, the comfort seat offers no venting characteristics and the step in the seat locks you in a position and doesnt allow for sliding back when you want to.
Spending the extra money gets you stuck with two seats, neither of which are perfect.
The AirHawk transforms the stock seat to as close to perfect you will find. 10-12 hour days with being able to get off the bike and walk without any problems.
Even the Brits designed better seats 45 years ago.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #37
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Motorrad nonsense. They offer a "comfort" seat for another $500 admitting that the stock seat they designed and fitted bikes with is a POS. Go figure.
Amazing they could put a decent seat on a 14 year old 1150GS but cant get it right for the F series.
Unlike the AirHawk solution, the comfort seat offers no venting characteristics and the step in the seat locks you in a position and doesnt allow for sliding back when you want to.
Spending the extra money gets you stuck with two seats, neither of which are perfect.
The AirHawk transforms the stock seat to as close to perfect you will find. 10-12 hour days with being able to get off the bike and walk without any problems.
Even the Brits designed better seats 45 years ago.
$500 bucks? Last I checked the comfort upgrade on the 800 was $145 as a factory option. The 800ADV comes with comfort (different seat all together), but the 800 is no different than the midsize KTM adventures, AKA a rubberized 2x4. It's the most dirt worthy of the GS line, so it's got a dirt style seat.

If you want a touring comfort kinda set up, it's the 800ADV or 1200. Asking for a 10 hour seat on an 800 might as well be asking for one on a XR650.
__________________
Bike: 2014 BMW F800GSA, Sand Rover Matte

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #38
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan13x View Post
$500 bucks? Last I checked the comfort upgrade on the 800 was $145 as a factory option. The 800ADV comes with comfort (different seat all together), but the 800 is no different than the midsize KTM adventures, AKA a rubberized 2x4. It's the most dirt worthy of the GS line, so it's got a dirt style seat.

If you want a touring comfort kinda set up, it's the 800ADV or 1200. Asking for a 10 hour seat on an 800 might as well be asking for one on a XR650.
It was $450 less tax on the original F Bikes. Motorrad is still ripping you off for the $145 on the new model for a seat thst should be stock. Motorrad these days is geared at seeing how much riders will put up with rather than how much they can build for riders.

For example, is there a changeable fuel filter yet for what they claim to be a round the world bike?

They appear to have taken the alternator seriously and did a re-design. But they blew it on the clutch freeplay issue and the valve spec service bulletins on the original bikes along with other issues they could have avoided.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #39
Xan13x
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
It was $450 less tax on the original F Bikes. Motorrad is still ripping you off for the $145 on the new model for a seat thst should be stock. Motorrad these days is geared at seeing how much riders will put up with rather than how much they can build for riders.

For example, is there a changeable fuel filter yet for what they claim to be a round the world bike?

They appear to have taken the alternator seriously and did a re-design. But they blew it on the clutch freeplay issue and the valve spec service bulletins on the original bikes along with other issues they could have avoided.
Different strokes.... I've never met a bike that wasn't geared toward touring that had an acceptable distance seat.

I'm not saying BMW is perfect, but EVERY manufacturer caters to the middle of the curve. No one is or expects to go around the world on a stock bike, and to try and build them to go from the showroom floor to Magadan would be suicide, because they'd be 40k or something, when 99.9% of riders just want to make it through a few days around camping without issue.

GM could have avoided cutting corners on ignition switches. What's your point? Again, all manufacturers have teething issues with new models (assuming from your remark on original bikes). I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but I've never owned a vehicle that hasn't had some sort of recall in it's lifetime. When you get 10,000 people designing and engineering something with 10,000 parts, it is ludicrous to think that it will perform flawlessly for a bazillion miles. What matters is how they handle making it right when things do crop up.
__________________
Bike: 2014 BMW F800GSA, Sand Rover Matte

The Natural State.... Where all roads less than four lanes qualify as an adventure.
Xan13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #40
Beairmo
Keeping it real
 
Beairmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Fishers, IN
Oddometer: 150
Another thumbs up on the small cruiser. I use it on my F800GS and K1600GTL. Rode SIX straight hours with two fill-ups and didn't get off bike just to prove how good it rides.

Just don't fill it up with too much air. It seems like it is almost flat when it works the best.
__________________
'13 F800GS; '14 K1600GTL; '09 WR450F
'74 RD350 (Winter Project)

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #41
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan13x View Post
Different strokes.... I've never met a bike that wasn't geared toward touring that had an acceptable distance seat.

I'm not saying BMW is perfect, but EVERY manufacturer caters to the middle of the curve. No one is or expects to go around the world on a stock bike, and to try and build them to go from the showroom floor to Magadan would be suicide, because they'd be 40k or something, when 99.9% of riders just want to make it through a few days around camping without issue.

GM could have avoided cutting corners on ignition switches. What's your point? Again, all manufacturers have teething issues with new models (assuming from your remark on original bikes). I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but I've never owned a vehicle that hasn't had some sort of recall in it's lifetime. When you get 10,000 people designing and engineering something with 10,000 parts, it is ludicrous to think that it will perform flawlessly for a bazillion miles. What matters is how they handle making it right when things do crop up.
An acceptable seat is no problem. A torture device is another issue.
I don't really care about GM products. Never bought one and likely never will.
The teething problems on the new bikes? Sure, for a first year run, no big deal. But the types of problems spell the cost cutting and rinky dink attitude of Motorrad. Motorrad bank on a core following, just like HD has, that will make excuses for their products. Motorrad world wide has widely varying guarantees and warranties. For a quarter of the cost of a new BMW F bike you can buy a well sorted KLR that will actually take you around the world without draining your wallet and doesn't need sophisticated diagnostic equipment and special tools. BMW like to think they are making a better product, and they can't even re-invent the wheel correctly.
This thread is about the AirHawk which, dollar for dollar, is the best accessory that you can buy for your bike. Some people ride the F bikes like BMW intended them and they learn the workarounds, or they walk. Or they sell it.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014