Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #31
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Awesome! Really enjoyed it.

I'll be doing the clockwise route in August. Can't wait!!
Thanks very much!

We are having a planning meeting at the house today for a trip to Florida. We are going to truck the bikes to Miami then fly down and ride back to New Brunswick in May. The plan includes a ride to Key West, then a trip up the West Coast of FL to Panama City Beach, then possibly visit Talledega just to see the track and then a ride to Deals Gap to do the Parkway before riding in the Green and White mountains on the way home.

Trucking the bikes is a necessity due to snow. here is a look at my street this week.

I laugh at the Canadian and American National News stories this year that ask where is Winter? It's in Shediac, NB.
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #32
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks very much!

We are having a planning meeting at the house today for a trip to Florida. We are going to truck the bikes to Miami then fly down and ride back to New Brunswick in May. The plan includes a ride to Key West, then a trip up the West Coast of FL to Panama City Beach, then possibly visit Talledega just to see the track and then a ride to Deals Gap to do the Parkway before riding in the Green and White mountains on the way home.

Trucking the bikes is a necessity due to snow. here is a look at my street this week.

I laugh at the Canadian and American National News stories this year that ask where is Winter? It's in Shediac, NB.
Sweet! That'll be a great trip. A suggestion: go to Barber motorsports park. Go see the museum there. Also there's lots of good ds stuff in the Gap area (and beyond). I ride up there a lot. Love it!!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #33
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks for the tip. Barber Motorsports Museum looks interesting.

Kedgi

(Dwight)
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #34
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Then we went to the Ford Dealer and I found the GM and gave him the bottle of Crown Royal for saving my ass on the first trip through with Iggy.
Dwight,
That pretty much says it all. Good on you!
Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Great RR !! Thank you ~~
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hope you inmates are enjoying this RR. If you have any questions about the Labrador trip(s) please feel free to ask.

Kedgi (Dwight)
Definitely enjoyed it.

I'm interested in the cost of accommodations at the various places you flopped. Helps with planning.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #37
Kedgi OP
Banned

Hotels get more expensive as you go north. We found that hotels in NB and NS were around $100.00 per night for a double room. In Newfoundland and Labrador it was around $120.00 per night. The Energy Motel or Motel L'Energie at the Manic 5 dam was a bargain at $85.00.

The Ferry's were each about $55.00 per bike and rider, the exception being the ferry between Newfoundland and Labrador which was less than $15 for bike and rider. A 4 berth cabin on a day sailing on the ferry between NS and Newfoundland was about $50.00 a real bargain split 4 ways. It is about a 6 or 7 hour ride on the boat and it's nice to have a quiet cabin to have a nap in. The cabins are a lot more on the nightime crossings, like $120.00

Gas is pricey, not that it makes a lot of difference on a bike. I think it was $1.45/litre in Labrador this past summer.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #38
Kedgi OP
Banned

Here is a link to the Carol Inn in Labrador City
http://carolinn.ca/accomodations.html

the Midway Motel in Churchill Falls
http://www.destinationlabrador.com/g..._falls_inn.htm

and the Hotel North in Goose Bay
http://www.atyp.com/hotelnorth/

The Alexis in Port Hope Simpson
http://www.labradorcoastaldrive.com/home/97

I recommend calling well in advance to make a reservation especially in Labrador City it's really busy and Churchill Falls if you intend to stay there, the town has a very limited number of rooms available.

There are other hotels that are easily researched on the web these are just one's we stayed in.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #39
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Thanks for the info. I'm sure others planning to ride up that way will appreciate it, as well.

Since Cape Spear is the easternmost place in North America one can get to by road, and I plan to ride there, I may as well see the Trans Lab while I'm up that way.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #40
dovetailredux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thanks for posting up Dwight.
dovetailredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #41
Kedgi OP
Banned

Trans Labrador Highway twice in one Summer

Your welcome Mt V. It was fun doing the write up, brought back good memories of the trip.

We ran into a snag re the upcoming Florida trip. We thought we had all our ducks in a row and we were all set to book the truck and buy airline tickets when the dealership in Miami we had lined up to receive our 5 bikes backed out.

We're trying to line up a plan B

stay tuned.......
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
Crank-it
Back-Off

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for the great Ride Report

Hey Dwight,

It's Tom here. I have been lurking in the background, quietly reading the RR. Great job buddy!! It brings back so many great and not so great memories. But one thing is for sure. It was 100% worth it. What a great ride that was!! One more item off my bucket list. I only wish I could do the South America trip with you.

These little smilies are us at the end of the trip, eh? I'm the one who passes out. Cheers!

Crank-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #43
fabriktr
Build it if you can.

Oddometer: 17
Hi Kedgi
That was a good report and pictures. I got a lot of good info from it for a ride I am planning to Newfoundland and maybe up to Cartwright, Labradore. I will be riding my '09 KLR. I would like to do the ferry rides without a reservation-just show up. I don't know how that will work out. I will probably retrace that route back across the ferries on the way back. Not so interested in 750 miles of gavel on the TLH. Thanks for the report.
fabriktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #44
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriktr View Post
Hi Kedgi
That was a good report and pictures. I got a lot of good info from it for a ride I am planning to Newfoundland and maybe up to Cartwright, Labradore. I will be riding my '09 KLR. I would like to do the ferry rides without a reservation-just show up. I don't know how that will work out. I will probably retrace that route back across the ferries on the way back. Not so interested in 750 miles of gavel on the TLH. Thanks for the report.
Thanks Fabriktr

I used to live in Newfoundland and travel on the ferry between Port aux Basque and North Sydney, with my bike, a lot. It can be very busy in the Summer. They always managed to squeeze me on but one night they weren't sure they could do it and it was close. I recommend a reservation even if you make it just a few days in advance.

I didn't touch on them in this ride report but on other trips up Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula I have taken the time to take the boat tour on Western Brook Pond, in Gros Morne National Park and it's outstanding! I've taken the hike to the top of Gros Morne Mountain too. It is a strenuous hike but the views are amazing on a nice day.

You may also want to visit L'anse aux Meadows, the Viking landing site near St Anthony, NL It is where they think Vikings discovered North America 500 years before Columbus. They have rebuilt Viking houses there and have a small Museum of artifacts they have uncovered. I thought it was well worth seeing.

Don't ride at night and watch for Moose in Newfoundland.

Here is a picture I took looking from the highway towards Western Brook Pond.

Those mountains are about 5 miles from where I was standing. They are impressive. Western Brook Pond is like an inland fiord that runs between those mountains. The boat ride is amazing.

Just suggestions.

Kedgi
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #45
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 524
Excellent report

+1 on the Barber museum! It might be a bit out of your way but so worth it when down that way.

I'd suggest you make a reservation in Key West if you plan to overnight there, I just rode into town and started looking - got the last room in town but it wasn't cheap. Also, watch your speeds in the Keys, the highway passes thu at least one preserve for miniature deer and the speeds are much reduced and enthusiastically enforced.

I'd be interested in hearing who you are using to transport the bikes stateside.

Thanks for the RR
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote