Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I ride the ST1300's daddy, 1st year ('91 USA) ST1100. See no reason to upgrade to a ST1300, but where I to do so, the deciding factor for a ST1300 vrs it's competition, is the tip-over wings. A ST1100 and ST1300 can be dropped with no damage other than a scuffed tip-over wing cover. The ST1300 even has an aftermarket pannier tip-over protector that isn't really noticeable.

I know a guy with a '05 ST1300 with 269,000 miles on the clock (last spring) that looks show room new. Unless one KEEPS a ST at redline the valves rarely need adjusting.

IMO, the lack of dropped bike damage is an appeal for the adventure tourer.

Good luck on your decision.
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
FXRBILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Have 50k on mine.Nobody has mentioned the three year unlimited mileage warranty.Or that you can get four more years for a little over $400.My fork seal blew at 32k and was covered.Also had a stuck open t-stat also covered.
I have an Aprilia Falco also and the ST gets ridden in the same manor.It gets a lot of looks from the sport bike riders at the end of the twisties.It doesn't like dirty air so just loosen your grip and ride on.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
BalancePoint OP
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
Why not a R1200RT? It's 570 lb wet and the running gear is the same as your GS. But you would still have that little gremlin in the back of your head talking to you.
I've given consideration to the RT from time to time, but your observation is correct. It is a pretty damn nice bike, though. The fact is, if I'm sticking with BMW, I'd be hard pressed to change from the ride I have.

Plainly, I'm still wavering. But I'm learning a lot from these posts, and it's not chasing me away from the ST, although I doubted it would.
BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
One of your concerns is weight, but you're considering one of the heaviest sport-tourers on the market? You haven't mentioned riding two-up, so I'm a little perplexed as to why you're considering such a land barge.

If you're just after a smooth street ride with some better weather protection, there are many other options out there. There isn't anything wrong with an ST13, but then, there aren't too many bikes made right now with real mechanical shortcomings.

Perhaps a Moto Guzzi Norge is in order.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
Fundamental
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
One of your concerns is weight, but you're considering one of the heaviest sport-tourers on the market? You haven't mentioned riding two-up, so I'm a little perplexed as to why you're considering such a land barge.

If you're just after a smooth street ride with some better weather protection, there are many other options out there. There isn't anything wrong with an ST13, but then, there aren't too many bikes made right now with real mechanical shortcomings.

Perhaps a Moto Guzzi Norge is in order.
I agree, even the FJR and Concourse are a little lighter (although hardly lightweight), and probably both more fun to ride in the end
Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
BalancePoint OP
Mucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamental View Post
I agree, even the FJR and Concourse are a little lighter (although hardly lightweight), and probably both more fun to ride in the end
You're right about weight, but that's a specific concern I have about the ST. I do know that there's a 100 lb or so weight penalty with the ST in comparison with its direct competitors. And I've read the various reviews that rank it below the others in various other facets of performance. That said, with my limited exposure at hand, the ST speaks to me- probably because as a long-term BMW rider I'm obviously drawn to bikes that are a shade different; but as much as they are alluring I'm all but certain a Guzzi is a trip from the frying pan to the fire. My biggest attractions to the ST are range, reliability, and smoothness. Not a unique mix in itself but the only other sport touring bike that I've given any thought to is the FJR, and there's just something- well, generic about it. And that's an opinion backed by absolutely nothing of objective value. But what can I say?

I like the GS too much to make a hasty decision, but I'm learning a lot.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #22
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Something splitting the difference between the GS and ST, along the lines of a Tiger 1050 SE, Multistrada, GSX1250, etc might be useful middle ground.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
This is new to me as to where did they quote they no longer are producing the ST? Not doubting you, just not seen it anywhere.

David
I saw a 2012 ST1300 today at the dealership.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
I ride the ST1300's daddy, 1st year ('91 USA) ST1100. See no reason to upgrade to a ST1300, but where I to do so, the deciding factor for a ST1300 vrs it's competition, is the tip-over wings. A ST1100 and ST1300 can be dropped with no damage other than a scuffed tip-over wing cover. The ST1300 even has an aftermarket pannier tip-over protector that isn't really noticeable.

I know a guy with a '05 ST1300 with 269,000 miles on the clock (last spring) that looks show room new. Unless one KEEPS a ST at redline the valves rarely need adjusting.

IMO, the lack of dropped bike damage is an appeal for the adventure tourer.

Good luck on your decision.
What you said! I love mine. 45K and counting.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
BalancePoint OP
Mucker

One foot on the banana peel... >>

Just sold the GS. Still a little knotted up.

Now, there's an 07 ST1300 near me that's available. Less than 16K on the clock. ABS. Silver. Don't know what a good offer might be. Likely to find out.

What should I be on the lookout for with this year and mileage? I gave the bike a pretty close visual, and thankfully it had not been detailed, so I think I was pretty well able to see that there were no obvious leaks or seeps. It's right up against time for that first valve check I imagine.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
This is new to me as to where did they quote they no longer are producing the ST? Not doubting you, just not seen it anywhere.

David
Oh, hey, doubt is OK. It is what keeps the saw sharp.

I had read that Honda stopped the ST-1300, so I went in to my local dealer who confirmed it. That was a year ago. Who knows what they are up to know.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynb View Post
I saw a 2012 ST1300 today at the dealership.
Dunno. Could be wrong. I'm quoting my dealer. Sorry for any mis-information.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #28
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
They have had a lot of time to sort that one out. Really, the most significant change has been paint color:

http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin...delYearChanges

On price, I'd say 6-8, depending on condition and farkles. A good aftermarket seat
and bar risers are worthwhile.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBryson View Post
Dunno. Could be wrong. I'm quoting my dealer. Sorry for any mis-information.
2012 ST1300

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/st1300.aspx

ST1300

Range, comfort, weather protection (love the power wind screen), luggage, power and reliable with a reasonable cost ......
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #30
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Much is made of the ST1300s weight but if you haven't ridden one one has no idea how well this bike handles. Honestly a rider of average skills can look great on one and a good rider will love the handling and do-it-all-cheerfully nature of this bike. The weight is a factor only when pushing it around and even then you quickly learn how to manage it, besides I buy motorcycles to ride and not push around. Unless you need to bench press your motorcycles weight is not a factor due to the way Honda works so hard at mass centralization. I have a 470 lb bike and a 721 lb bike and both have over 100,000 miles on them. 5'6", 155 lbs, 28" inseam.

After a run from 2003 to 2010 (USA market) Honda did not build a 2011 model but it did return to the line-up as a 2012 model. Just like there is nothing out there with the character of a boxer motor there is nothing out there like Honda's V4. Honda has spent millions of yen refining the V4.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote