User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Hockenrider OP
Wheel in Front

Oddometer: 67
Mono Shock Spherical Bearings

Could any one tell me whether they have used another Brand or found another source of Spherical bearings to replace the listed KTM Bearing repair kit's (R12013- R12012 ) for the Rear mono shock .

Looking for upper and lower bearings to be replaced.

Checking first before I pull these out and maybe damage them and then not being able to use the beast.

Issue here is the time waiting for these to arrive EX KTM.

Cheers In advanced.
Hockenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
I need the same information...

BUMP
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
..... no replies leads me to believe the only option is a stock replacement part.
I sure was hoping Synergy Seals or someone had something for this application similar to the x bushing.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, as I was about to post a very similar question.

Basically, these spherical bearings in the shock don't seem to last very well. Probably dirt or water is getting in, especially to the lower one, but mine seem to wear out in less than a year. Replacement parts from KTM aren't cheap, but the dimensions of the bearings are not standard so my attempts to find a 3rd party replacement have failed so far.

Also I have a problem with the rear suspension 'binding'. Some days it feels super plush and responsive, and some days it feels as though something is sticking and the shock isn't compressing properly. I've just had the shock serviced so it's not the unit itself. And the swinging arm moves totally freely (but no play in bearings) when the shock and wheel are removed.

So I'm left to concluse that the problem is the spherical bearings sticking. After all, they are dry bearings with just a thin layer of PTFE (I think) for lubrication. And if I remove the bearings, clean them as best as I can, and spray a bit of silicon lubricant in there, it does seem to improve matters, for a short time. That's not a long term solution though.

So I'm wondering - has anyone got ideas for an alternative? Either an alternative spherical bearing that lasts better, or something totally different?

If Powercell is reading this, what do you use in your aftermarket uber-shocks, please?

Thanks for any advice :)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse View Post
So I'm wondering - has anyone got ideas for an alternative? Either an alternative spherical bearing that lasts better, or something totally different?

If Powercell is reading this, what do you use in your aftermarket uber-shocks, please?

Thanks for any advice :)

We use a special SKF spherical bearing for this very reason. It's much larger, requires our special bushings, and is not compatible with the factory shock...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Hockenrider OP
Wheel in Front

Oddometer: 67
[QUOTE=uk_mouse;23892089]I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, as I was about to post a very similar question.

Basically, these spherical bearings in the shock don't seem to last very well. Probably dirt or water is getting in, especially to the lower one, but mine seem to wear out in less than a year. Replacement parts from KTM aren't cheap, but the dimensions of the bearings are not standard so my attempts to find a 3rd party replacement have failed so far.

Also I have a problem with the rear suspension 'binding'. Some days it feels super plush and responsive, and some days it feels as though something is sticking and the shock isn't compressing properly. I've just had the shock serviced so it's not the unit itself. And the swinging arm moves totally freely (but no play in bearings) when the shock and wheel are removed.

I tried a few times in making it work (nothing to lose ) it was only a short term fix.
Mine was making a real knock from the rear on exiting corners under power for a while I thought it was just the centre stand moving hitting the swing arm.
But then as you say the rear end started to feel flat or firm under harsh conditions.
With only the wheel out there was movement in the swingarm before the shock kicked in and yes there's the knocking sound I was looking for.
I think if the bearing is worn by 1-2 mm in your palm it's worth 10- 15 mm at the rear axle on the bike when being ridden.

After the shock of the price and the weeks it took to get here I'm more than happy now. I should have replaced it straight away once it started to play up, the difference in a fresh rear end is priceless.
Hockenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 AM   #7
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Powercell - thanks for the info, shame the bearings are not compatible!

Hockenrider - the trouble is they seem to wear out so fast. And from KTM those bearings are not cheap. I'm still searching for an alternative, if I find anything I will share the info.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,759
Can you show a photo of the ball bearing you refer to?

So I can follow? I recently had the rear suspension refurbished...
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

A spherical bearing isn't a ball bearing, they look like this:

The ones we are referring to are parts 5 and 89 in this diagram. #89, the lower one, is the one that fails most for me, presumably as it gets more dirt in it.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
If they are the same as the ones used on the smaller dirt bikes, I've used bearings from Hirschman Engineering #SC -16. I get the plain, not Teflon coated and pack with Bel Ray wheel bearing grease. They last forever.

http://rodend-bearings.hirschmannusa.com/viewitems/spherical-bearings/heavy-duty-spherical-bearings

The last ones I bought were about $20 for the lower bearing.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #11
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Yes I've found a similar item on ebay, intended for steering rod ends. I'm not sure if the size is totally compatible as I've lost my notes of the OEM bearing sizes! :(

The SC16 bearing wcohl mentions is 16mm ID, 32mm OD - which is the same as the KTM lower bearing part. The dimensions I'm not sure of are the bearing outer shell depth, and inner ball depth (labelled B and C on the page linked above). Anyone have these measurements to hand for the KTM part please?

The OEM upper bearing is 15mm ID, 25mm OD which doesn't appear to be a standard size and I've never seen one in any of the catalogues I've loooked at. But this part fails less frequently in my experience.

What might be really good would be to fit one of the aftermarket parts (if they fit) without the teflon liner, and then also fit a grease nipple - but I'm a bit reluctant to go drilling holes in my shock absorber.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #12
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
uk,

The B and C dimensions from Hirschman are the same as KTM dirt bikes. I've never had one of the bigger bike heim bearing out, but I doubt they are different.

I've never tried to find a replacement upper bearing, but I would think KTM/WP used a standard size and not a proprietary baering.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
PowerCell
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohl View Post
uk,

The B and C dimensions from Hirschman are the same as KTM dirt bikes. I've never had one of the bigger bike heim bearing out, but I doubt they are different.

I've never tried to find a replacement upper bearing, but I would think KTM/WP used a standard size and not a proprietary baering.

I should have mentioned this before, but yes, they are the same as on the top end of the smaller bikes. It's just the 14mm bushings that vary...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:03 AM   #14
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

I've now checked the size of the lower bearing, and this item from ebay looks like it will be compatible. I've ordered one to try out, I'll report back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160932377783

For future reference, the lower bearing dimensions are:

Inside diameter: 16mm
Outside diameter: 32mm
Shell width: 15mm
Ball width: 21mm

I've yet to find a match for the upper bearing.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I just bought that bearing, it fits, don't know how long it will last but it was an improvement over the seized original!
I couldn't find a match for the top one either, ended up getting the KTM OE part, for a small fortune, which was mildy annoying because the top one wasn't seized.
sproot is offline   Reply With Quote