User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Punctures and Fix a Flat

Does the motorcycle fix a flat work well? I'm debating whether it is worth carrying tire irons and a spare tube on me and having to go through the effort of changing a tube when i'm adventuring.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Does the motorcycle fix a flat work well? I'm debating whether it is worth carrying tire irons and a spare tube on me and having to go through the effort of changing a tube when i'm adventuring.
Not in my experience. The couple of times I have used it, it held for a few miles, then started leaking again. It also makes patching a tube that has it inside, very difficult.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,861
Quote:

Fix-a-flat is for cars and ATV's and it doesn't work all that well on those. Carry the stuff necessary to do the job on the road or trail and you'll be happier, IMHO. The fix-a-flat is corrosive to your wheels anyhow.

Look at it this way: if you're the one with the tire stuff and the know-how, then all of your riding buddies will end up buying you food and booze on trips.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
SteelRain
Beer Cooled

Oddometer: 301
I do ALOT of desert riding mostly in Baja and some trail riding here and there.

I prefer to use HD tubes and line them with Slime for motorcycles. Ever since doing that I have yet to get a flat, before that is happened occasionally.

Fix-a-flat don't work.

The Motion Pro T-6 Combo Levers and a spare standard tube (you only need one 21" to nurse a few hundred miles) barely weigh anything and take about the same space as a can of sealant.
XR650R (plated) - Disaster is falling in love with me; maybe I should stop flirting.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
I've used Slime in a rear tire to make it about 100 miles home so I could use my tire changer to fix it. I had to stop 5 times to air up the tire, but it got me home. It beat taking the tire off with hand tools on a dirt road.
sorebutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
In the desert where there is actually CACTUS THORNS (NM ) you will have no luck with anything but a pre-slimed tube. If you patch a carcass with a thorn in it it just re-punctures right next to your patch a little later. Tire irons and tubes do little good. If you do much road riding you will not like those HD tubes as they give your tire a lot more heat. Tire Slime or similar product work great out here. So the answer to me is it all depends where you ride. The can stuff is for AFTER the tire goes flat....slime it BEFORE that happens out here.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,097
This thread reminds me of an encounter I had a few years ago.

My buddies and I were riding around Alaska, about to cruise up the Dalton highway. We ran into an Iranian fella on a KLR who looked to be having a hell of a time throwing on a new rear tire in Fairbanks. We invited him to our camp, hooked him up with some help and tried to teach him a thing or two. We insisted that he bring some tools and a spare tube as he had none. "No, no. I don't need it. I'm telling you. I have a secret weapon."

So he pulls from his tank bag a walmart bag all wrapped up. Slowly he unwraps it to reveal... a can of fix-a-flat.

"I got the big can so I can use it in both tires."

We tried to tell him that it wouldn't work. There was no way, it just doesn't work on tubes, but he was stubborn and refused. He insisted that if it didn't work, which it would, he has AAA so he's taken care of. He headed out early the next morning up the Dalton. We told him we would be bringing up the rear in a few hours and would help him in any way we could if he had an issue.

So we cruised up and ran into him at Coldfoot. He talked some shit about us 'Americans' taking our time. We ran into him again in Deadhorse, he was leaving and we were pulling in. Again, the same shit talk.

We get back to the beginning of the Dalton at 3AM and take a break by the sign. Not ten minutes later a tow truck pulls up and asks us which one of us has the flat. No, none of us. He said there was a fella up here on a KLR with a flat tire, he sounded very confused. Sure enough, it was him.

We found him up the road a bit at some random camp. He had stashed his bike in the woods mere yards from where we had taken a break and had called AAA after he had a flat tire, and the fix-a-flat failed. "Zee can, it not work. Zee foam is like shave foam, it just run out. Can you guys fix it?"

"Sure, where's your spare tube? What?? Oh, well, what about that patch kit we told you to get? No?? Well, good thing you've AAA."

What an expensive tow...

Sorry to get a little long in the tale, but the moral of the story is:

Don't fuckin use fix-a-flat, ya lazy bum. Bring spoons and a patch kit.

As for the slime, I've no experience.
Parepin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,861
That needs to be put into every single fix-a-flat thread that gets started on here.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,616
I've had pretty good success with Slime in tubes. It's messy, very messy on tubeless tires, and tends to piss mechanics off. I carry a plugging kit on my bikes with tubeless tires.

Fix a Flat is utterly worthless.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Fix a Flat is utterly worthless.
That's my opinion as well.

I've run slime in Mtn bike tires, 4 wheeler tires, and trailer tires, but I would not do it on my motorcycle.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
I use slime, its saved me once. Still carry patch kit and tire irons.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
I can attest to the fact that it doesn't work on bolt-sized holes:

(Ended up thumbing it with the front wheel to Watson Lake and having a shop patch it.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
This thread reminds me of an encounter I had a few years ago.

My buddies and I were riding around Alaska, about to cruise up the Dalton highway. We ran into an Iranian fella on a KLR who looked to be having a hell of a time throwing on a new rear tire in Fairbanks. We invited him to our camp, hooked him up with some help and tried to teach him a thing or two. We insisted that he bring some tools and a spare tube as he had none. "No, no. I don't need it. I'm telling you. I have a secret weapon."

So he pulls from his tank bag a walmart bag all wrapped up. Slowly he unwraps it to reveal... a can of fix-a-flat.

"I got the big can so I can use it in both tires."

We tried to tell him that it wouldn't work. There was no way, it just doesn't work on tubes, but he was stubborn and refused. He insisted that if it didn't work, which it would, he has AAA so he's taken care of. He headed out early the next morning up the Dalton. We told him we would be bringing up the rear in a few hours and would help him in any way we could if he had an issue.

So we cruised up and ran into him at Coldfoot. He talked some shit about us 'Americans' taking our time. We ran into him again in Deadhorse, he was leaving and we were pulling in. Again, the same shit talk.

We get back to the beginning of the Dalton at 3AM and take a break by the sign. Not ten minutes later a tow truck pulls up and asks us which one of us has the flat. No, none of us. He said there was a fella up here on a KLR with a flat tire, he sounded very confused. Sure enough, it was him.

We found him up the road a bit at some random camp. He had stashed his bike in the woods mere yards from where we had taken a break and had called AAA after he had a flat tire, and the fix-a-flat failed. "Zee can, it not work. Zee foam is like shave foam, it just run out. Can you guys fix it?"

"Sure, where's your spare tube? What?? Oh, well, what about that patch kit we told you to get? No?? Well, good thing you've AAA."

What an expensive tow...

Sorry to get a little long in the tale, but the moral of the story is:

Don't fuckin use fix-a-flat, ya lazy bum. Bring spoons and a patch kit.

As for the slime, I've no experience.

That is hilarious. I ment to ask about the tire slime and not fix a flat. Are there any tire changing kits you guys would recommend?

How am I supposed to get the air out of my old inner tube so I can compress it and fit it in the fender pack?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:

How am I supposed to get the air out of my old inner tube so I can compress it and fit it in the fender pack?
You unscrew and remove the air valve core [schrader valve]. Then just roll up tube. Reinstall air valve so you don't lose it.

Use tool in valve cap or separate hand tool.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
That's my opinion as well.

I've run slime in Mtn bike tires, 4 wheeler tires, and trailer tires, but I would not do it on my motorcycle.
Parepin, Flashmo and T_T in a fix-a-flat thread.....

fix-a-flat saved me a headache on a tubeless tire a few times. On tubes it is as worthless as a tits on a boar hog.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote