Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Wow, people on her have some serious attitude. A guy misses the fact that is was missing a tiny hole, albeit an important hole and he is relegated to being a dumb ass and someone who should not be touching a motor. If the gasket was sold as being the correct one for his motor the maker should be held responsible for the damage.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
snackdaddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Relax

Everyone seems to be pooping on this guy….Assuming (and I know to assume makes an ass out of u and me) that it is the right part for the right bike…
What if he could not compare the part? For example if the engine was a basket case? I guess you would just have to toss the engine in garbage or buy nothing but overpriced OEM parts.
snackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:54 PM   #33
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If you want to save money by using non original parts then thats fine, but as non OE parts generally cannot be assumed to be exactly the same as OE, a little bit of common sense is required here, and clearly without that its very easy to end up in the same situation as the OP.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
dino1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I've learned hard lessons using aftermarket parts. My rule is if it cant be taken on and off in less then 20 min then it's OEM preferred.

IE parts that are easy to get on and off can be aftermarket. Parts that are buried and hard to get to I try to go OEM. Learned this on a Hyundai waterpump.

I've had gaskets be incorrect before, lucky for me I matched it up to the block and it was wrong. Label on the package even said it was for my car but it was for an earlier car with solid litters.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #35
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If you want to save money by using non original parts then thats fine, but as non OE parts generally cannot be assumed to be exactly the same as OE, a little bit of common sense is required here, and clearly without that its very easy to end up in the same situation as the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino1 View Post
I've learned hard lessons using aftermarket parts. My rule is if it cant be taken on and off in less then 20 min then it's OEM preferred.

IE parts that are easy to get on and off can be aftermarket. Parts that are buried and hard to get to I try to go OEM. Learned this on a Hyundai waterpump.

I've had gaskets be incorrect before, lucky for me I matched it up to the block and it was wrong. Label on the package even said it was for my car but it was for an earlier car with solid litters.
can you get an oem big bore kit for most bikes?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #36
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,309
I don't want to poop on the OP, we all make mistakes.Have I plugged holes I shouldn't have....Oh Yes and I remember very well 35 years later.

All I am going to say is that any proper engine rebuild should include an "Oil Pressure Check" and easy enough on most engines to leave the gauge there and monitor it for a few hundred miles. Pressure goes down or fluctuates....STOP, much cheaper that way. Your guesses as to how much $$$$ that little gauge may have saved me and others over the years.

Removing it later and trusting the "Idiot Light"....maybe but not for me, I know the sender specs on my bikes/cars all too well.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #37
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
In chilton's or Clymer's books they warn you to double check the gaskets to ensure compatibility. Even the factory Toyota book for my 85 pickup tell you to lay the new one on top of the old one to make sure the holes and not holes are in the right place.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote