Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 280
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #32
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Based on all the fork threads there must be hundreds of G/S forks out there just sitting on shelves.
yeah, I actually want to sell my G/S front end. Early on it became part of my plan to help fund my whole G/S process. It needs to find someone who is trying to restore a G/S to OEM spec (cause who else would want it?).

Without taking the piss, anyone know what sort of money can be asked for a complete G/S front end?
Obviously US and Oz markets are generally very different, however US prices for G/S and GS stuff seems as stupidly high as Oz prices. I don't want to ask for too much money, but I don't want to give it away. These things are worth real money to some people (and my bike really needs that money).

and airhead pilot-
I really like your KYB front end swap. I've actually got a set of triple clamps from those forks to use in a project/experiment with my forks (sleeving down to 50mm and playing with the different fork offset). After a lot of research and some guesswork I actually picked those triple clamps before the unholy union IV thread was written so it was a great relief to see it come together so well. Are your triple clamps 24mm offset? How do you like the change in steering geometry?
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot View Post
I also went the route of putting G/S forks on my ST and will agree with others here - it was a waste of time. They're lousy forks. I did the full Racetech upgrade on them, including cartridge emulators, and they were still lousy. Ended up going with a set of KYB 46mm inverted forks from a Yamaha WR426, modified to the same overall length as the G/S, with a G/S-length shock. Fantastic improvement, both on road and off. Like you, I mostly just ride this bike on the back roads and on dirt roads - I have an XR400R for actual dirt riding. But it does a great job on even lousy dirt roads. Plus, unlike the KTM stuff, the Japanese dirt bike components are inexpensive and easy to come by. The conversion isn't plug and play, but it's also not rocket science - I figured it out all on my lonesome and I'm not all that bright. I work in Emeryville - buy me a beer some time and I'll tell you all about it.

Andrew
I saw your bike a while back, and I have to say...Nice work. Dead sexy.

Beer? Deal! I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

Thanks,

Seth
SPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Without taking the piss, anyone know what sort of money can be asked for a complete G/S front end?
Obviously US and Oz markets are generally very different, however US prices for G/S and GS stuff seems as stupidly high as Oz prices. I don't want to ask for too much money, but I don't want to give it away. These things are worth real money to some people (and my bike really needs that money).

and airhead pilot-
I really like your KYB front end swap. I've actually got a set of triple clamps from those forks to use in a project/experiment with my forks (sleeving down to 50mm and playing with the different fork offset). After a lot of research and some guesswork I actually picked those triple clamps before the unholy union IV thread was written so it was a great relief to see it come together so well. Are your triple clamps 24mm offset? How do you like the change in steering geometry?
I got $150 USD for my totally re-worked G/S front end. Way less than I had into it, which is a shame, but it was a good lesson.

The clamps on my front end are stock geometry for the Yamaha donor bike, so I'm running substantially less offset than the BMW front end. I was nervous about that, but I didn't want to invest in custom triple clamps until I was sure I was going to like the end result. It's pretty stable - I can take my hands off the bars at 80 mph and it will run straight and true. It's a little more lively than stock and it dances in the rain grooves more than before, but it's neither scary nor unsafe. I haven't noticed any handling issues off-pavement either. FWIW, I think the R100GS has enough of a longer wheelbase that if you did it on that bike you'd notice even less of a difference. I was really surprised by how well it handles.

The one major downside is the lock-to-lock turning radius. It's substantially reduced from stock and the bars hit the tank long before they hit the stops. It's not a big deal at any speed, but it does make parking lot maneuvers a bit of a pain, and turning around on a narrow dirt road is a little tedious. To be honest, that rarely bugs me though. One of these days I might make custom triples for it, just for the hell of it. But I just got back from the desert - I did a 600-mile day with the first 100 miles being dirt roads (including about 30 miles of soft sandy terrain) and the remaining 500 miles being freeway. It was a great ride.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #35
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenji View Post
You referred to bombing on fire roads. Fully loaded and bombing with an S/T frame??????/

Yeah! What of it?

Seriously, same frame and subframe as the G/S and countless other airheads. It's the least of your worries.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #36
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yeah! What of it?

Seriously, same frame and subframe as the G/S and countless other airheads. It's the least of your worries.
You crack my sh@$t up. Nice.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #37
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPO View Post
You crack my sh@$t up. Nice.
I am here to entertain! Where's the tooth missing smilie?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #38
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,822
Sometimes, reading threads like these, I miss my sweet R80... ah, if only it had been an ST.

Maybe it's time to venture back in... I still have most of my Airhead tools.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #39
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Sometimes, reading threads like these, I miss my sweet R80... ah, if only it had been an ST.

Maybe it's time to venture back in... I still have most of my Airhead tools.
Hey! Let's put those airhead tools to work...
Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
nick_rhinocycles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Once I was looking for a G/S, and I found a really nice ST which I bought.
It ran like a dream, the valves were always in spec ... and it kinda bored me...

The seat was really bad too. My plan was to make it into an off-road KILLER, but the thing was just TOO nice!
I hated the suspension. I'm sure it needed love, but it was just awful, and with no brakes to speak of.
Oh then some jackass in a giant truck backed over it. Sold it to a guy in New Zealand!

I even bough a complete R100GS front end which I was going to use for a conversion.
Dual Disk from Wudo!
Still have it if anyone wants it, oh and I'm across the bridge from you!

Includes:
Triple Clamps
Complete forks
Wheel
Dual Disks brakes with pads
Steel braided lines

The condition of everything is "well used", but if you are looking for a bolt on and go kind of experience, this is your ticket.
--Nick

Edit: sorry for the double post! Fixed!
@hardware girl

nick_rhinocycles screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 08:52 AM
nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #41
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Ok Nick! We got it!!! Bummer about that sweet ST....
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #42
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
My main ride was a GS with a well set up Ohlins shock and matching HPN inserts the forks.

So when I bought a well worn G/SPD you will appreciate my dissatisfaction with the well worn OEM forks, which were coupled with a WP with a 450 lb rated spring which was actually nearer 500 lbs.

Replacing the shock spring with one with a actual rating of 435lbs made a big improvement at both ends.

The flat plate top yoke was the next to go - it was bent, twisted and was flexing so much it was almost impossible to stop the centre top nut unscrewing.

A SJ Billet yoke was fitted after a bit trimming and flipping the indicator brackets to the opposite side, and it was a big improvement - you could no longer see the forks flex as you went round corners and the fork action improved too!
And the top nut stayed tight with 40 lbs less torque.

A tubular lower brace from Flatracer, Wirth fork springs, 5 grade full synthetic HVI suspension fluid and tyres that work well at 22/24 lbs all made noticeable improvements everywhere.

The final result is a set up which is a lot closer to the GS, and better than the OEM set up on my Yamaha XT600 E.

For the work it gets, mainly poorly constructed and maintained spray seal and the same sort of rubble roads, tracks and fire tracks it performs well enough.

The only real advantage of the XT600 is the almost 90 kg difference in wet weight, which gets a bit more important as I get further into my retirement, particularly for green fields exploring.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #43
SPO OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At some point, in one of the MANY threads I've been reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading) someone made mention of someone sliding the GS tubes up into the triples in order to get back to the stock geometry. AW, I know you mentioned it could be done, just wondering if anyone knows anyone that has actually done it, and how it worked out...?

Oh, and one more thing...

what oil should I use?

:-P

(that was for you hardwaregrrl)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #44
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayIS...:B:WNA:AU:1123

Not much time left , but these are similar to the forks on the works Dakar bikes
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #45
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
you can slide the tubes up till they hit the handlebars,
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote