Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #166
dumbgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
He is close to finish!! Watch it live:

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2011...-live-coverage

That rocky section is a SOB!! But then he will see town & Fano holding da beers!
dumbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #167
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Finish:cla p
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #168
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 864
Saw it on Race-Dez....well done Kanook.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #169
commander51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Hahaha I just saw him on the finisher ramp getting interviewed, he looked like he could of done another 200 miles. Nice work
commander51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #170
dumbgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
GREAT JOB!! You gave such a polite interview too...your hair was kinda a mess though.
dumbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #171
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 369
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and all the support. I couldn't have done it without you.
Now I'm just chilling in the back of the jeep listening to fano and my wife argue about how to get to Reno :)
I'm trying to shake stomach cramps I've had since mile 300 ish. Too many strange liquids and foods.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #172
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and all the support. I couldn't have done it without you.
Now I'm just chilling in the back of the jeep listening to fano and my wife argue about how to get to Reno :)
I'm trying to shake stomach cramps I've had since mile 300 ish. Too many strange liquids and foods.
Fano is arguing.... never. Awesome job.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #173
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Congrats Kanook. I haven't chimed in until now but been watching this thread and your progress. I love to see the "locals" doing these big kind of races. Awesome
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #174
Johnny_5
Disassemble!

Oddometer: 278
Congrats on the finish, and here's some some pics from Pit 14

Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #175
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
Congrats on the finish, and here's some some pics from Pit 14

Thanks for the pics. Those are great. Also thanks for the help with my crew.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 08-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #176
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
That is one long moto ride... congrats dude!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #177
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
That is one long moto ride... congrats dude!
Thanks. It was a long haul but I'd do it again.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #178
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 634
What a fun weekend. Schyler kept us busy all day long so we didn't have any free time to be uploading pictures, so here are few I have.
Tech inspection

Last minute reminders

Getting ready to start

Start

and a little over 13 hours later - Finish

well deserved beer

No official trophy so this must do

Great job Kanook

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #179
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

As I sit here trying to write some kind of race report I'm having trouble. This was the biggest thing I've ever done but I can't recall exactly where and when particular things happened. I know I started and I know I finished. I'll just start writing and see where this goes.
I left the start, not sure the exact time, and just tried to get into a grove. The dust was of course bad but luckily it was a bit cloudy so the sun was not too big of an issue. The plan was to skip pit one and refuel at 2. Fano taped a mileage and pit list on my tank with the pits I would stop at circled. Otherwise I probably would have missed my stops. Because of the spread between 3 and 4 I had to stop at both of those pits. It was between 3 and 4 where myself and about three other riders went the wrong direction due to missing course markers. Damn cows. I guess this is where the pros got lost also. I did get back on course and headed into pit 4. At 4 Fano noticed that my countershaft sprocket bolt and washers had moved. When I replaced the sprocket before the race I had made a mark going from the bolt head, across both washers, and onto the sprocket. I lost this bolt once before and had the sprocket come off, wedge in the swing arm and snap the chain, I didn't want this happening during the race, I did use locktite and I torqued it to spec but it backed off a little anyway so Fano re-tightened the bolt. Off i went. The plan was to skip 5 and meet up again at 6. When I reached 6 Fano rechecked the bolt and it had again backed out slightly. At this point I grabbed a new bolt and washers from my pack and had him replace them and use red locktite. With a secure bolt and a full tank I headed out. The plan was to skip 7 and stop at 8. The whole way to 8 between watching for rocks, and trying to stay hydrated I kept peering down to the sprocket to make sure the bolt was still there. At one point I actually stopped to check it and the new mark Fano made with a sharpie was misaligned and the washers had moved once again. Damn it! When I reached 8 Fano checked the bolt but it seemed to be tight so maybe it backed a little before the locktite took hold. More fuel, water/food, and a cool towel on the face from my wife and off I went. Next stop 10. I don't recall anything to much between 8 and 10 other than I was having a ball and feeling great. The dust was finally not an issue and the bike felt great. Pit 10 more fuel and water. Off to 12. It was about 5 miles before pit 11 that the fun was going away. I was still feeling good and riding well but my vision went to hell. I attributed it to my eyeballs bouncing in my head for 350 miles. At pit 11 my crew was there and flagging me in. I wanted to keep going but I guess there was a miscalculation on mileage and they would not be able to get to me at pit 12. So I was topped off with fuel and water and was told I would not see them again until pit 14. Yikes. My wife could tell something was up with me but I played it cool so not to worry her and headed off. I had arranged fuel help at pit 13, the remote rawhide pit, so even though I wouldn't see my crew for 88 miles I did have fuel waiting for me. The ride to 13 was hard. I was still riding strong but I was having trouble focusing. I describe it as looking through the wrong end of binoculars. I would keep looking at my speedo to get my eyes to focus and then look ahead. My crew had called Craig at 13 and said I was on my way so when I rolled into the pit they were ready. They were absolutely great. About four guys came rushing up. One had fuel, one had ice cold water to pour down my back, another had some Gatorade and a straw, and the fourth wiped my goggles. Craig if your reading this, thanks a lot that was awesome service. During my top up at 13 I was told to watch out for some nasty ruts caused by the hard rains that had been happening recently, but I was tired and caught bits and pieces of this warning, but I definitely heard Craig say as he pointed off to my right "there's the the helicopter, you've got about 30 min until the trophy trucks catch you, get going"
Off I went, full of fuel and drink and my eyes still playing tricks with me. I entered the big rolling hills that Pilo had told me about but instead of being able to enjoy them I proceeded over each one with caution. Between my vision and something someone said about some washed out sections, I rolled over the top of them scared to see what was on the other side. And of course at the peak of each one looking back to see if there was a monster. It wasn't until after the rolling hills and onto a narrow rocky course that I finally saw the first truck. It was still about 200 yards off but I was ready to bail off the road and was looking for a spot. Turn my head again and 200 yards had become 50, oh shit, and off the road and into some small bushes I went. I sat for a few seconds to let the air clear and see if there was another coming but the coast was clear so I got going. A moment later I turn to look back and there is number two. This time I tried to get off the course but the side was too steep so about the time I got up, I started to roll back down, the buggy passed me with inches to spare. This was awesome in a "I'm scared for my life" kind of way.
I survived maybe one or two more passings and the ruts, which were huge. They would have swallowed me and the bike. I can't believe the amount of rain that must have come down.
I rolled into pit 14 and admit to my wife I'm having issues. She knew. Craig called her from the remote pit and told her I was on my way and that I looked pretty tired. My wife had also been on the phone with frog back home and he told her she needed to get me to take a break, sit down relax, and eat more. So with her prodding I did. I was making good time but I wanted to finish. While Fano attached my light I sat and ate and drank and attached my helmet light. This was my longest pit stop but I needed it.
When I finally felt a little rested I geared up and was back on the bike. I gave my wife a hug and told her and Fano I'll see you at the finish. 14 to 15 was a blast. My vision was bit better and the course was mostly wide fast dirt road. It was awesome being tucked behind the bars, flying down these roads and having spectators cheering an waving me on. There was a nice wind from left to right so I stayed to the left and when the cars whipped past, their dust was no issue.
I rolled into 15 and right out.
The next 46 miles were hard. My vision was going again and the rocks were brutal. The nice thing, the sun was still up, the bad thing, at pit 14 I switched out my tinted goggles for a pair with clear lenses. Going right into the setting sun coupled with my crappy vision made for a slow pace the last 20-25 miles. All day I'd had a couple close calls but no get offs. It was about mile 528 I dropped my bike. It was a rocky downhill section and I was just crawling, picking my way through and the front end washed out. I picked the bike up, nothing was broke, so I was back on my way.
I was about a mile away and realized I was going to make it. I started screaming "I did it, I fucking did it" and patted the 450's tank like it was my trusty steed.
I crossed the finish line, thanked Casey, and proceeded to the podium where I'm sure I sounded like an idiot. Which apparently went out all over the web. Damn, if i'd known I would have at least combed my hair ;)
I ended up finishing in 13 hrs 19min. 8th in class and I believe 56 overall. I'm very pleased with that. I told my self I'd be happy to finish in 14 hrs with a mid to upper 30 mph average. And I beat the setting sun:)
I'd like to thank everyone again. Pilo, frog with the parts and supplies and everyone else with encouraging words.
And of course my awesome crew, who i apparently didn't give one moment of rest, Fano who was always on top of the bike, it worked perfectly, except when he almost forgot to fuel me dealing with the sprocket issue:0
And of course my loving wife who made sure my water was topped off, my food was fresh, my face was wiped with a cool towel, and that Fano was on time;)
Thanks guys!
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #180
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Nice job, Congrats!