Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #61
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 373
Ive got my bike dismantled just a little for some maintenance issues. I've got swing arm bearings and lower linkage bearings coming tomorrow. I'll also go through the steering head and check those bearings along with valves and compression while the tank is off. My suspension should be delivered tomorrow to AS Racing for a complete overhaul, springs, valving, oil....
I'm very impressed with AS. They wanted to know exactly what I wore while riding and the weight of my gear. They said they can give me the suspension I want, plush in the rough but firm enough to hit the big stuff. I'm excited.
Attached Images

'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #62
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
I just got my suspension back from AS racing yesterday and am excited to try it out.
Definitely agree on their high level of service, be sure to get your setup sheet from them as well.
Paul emailed it to me afterwards and it has lots of good info for a suspension n00b like me.
Hope to see you in Vegas!
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #63
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
I just got my suspension back from AS racing yesterday and am excited to try it out.
Definitely agree on their high level of service, be sure to get your setup sheet from them as well.
Paul emailed it to me afterwards and it has lots of good info for a suspension n00b like me.
Hope to see you in Vegas!
Keep me posted on what you think. I know you post on Thumpertalk, that's where I first heard about Paul at ASR and read all the great reviews.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #64
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Just got word from kelli at AS racing that my suspension is done and on its way back to me right on time. I should have it Friday and be ready to test it out on Sunday. Plus I'm on vacation the following week and plan on riding as much as I can. I must say how impressed I am with the customer service with AS. Last Friday while at work my iPhone indicated to me of a new email, when I checked I had two emails. One from ups tracking stating my package had been delivered and the other was from Paul saying he just received my suspension and would have it done by Tuesday.
Now the fun begins. Our local desert series is pretty much over for me. The rest of the races before V2R don't interest me so now it's just prep for August. My list of items I need grows every day. My biggest expense will be bibs and tires and then chain, sprockets, and chain sliders, and I also need a new helmet. My current one is DOT but not Snell. Luckily I have picked up a couple new supporters and will be getting a new helmet from Oneal and extra filters from Twin Air. My bibs will be coming from MX1 West but they have been on back order for months now. Everything else I will get from Wrights motorcycle here in Utah and Rocky Mountain ATV.
I'll also need to get the chase vehicle prepped. I plan on using my Cherokee so I'll need to get a rack for the top for spares and I'm going to put in a new fuel pump, I think mine is starting to get weak. Other wise it should be a solid ride and the a/c is cold for my chase crew. Wusses ;-) Fano's main concern, " the a/c works right?" I'd better get him a plug in massager for the seat also.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #65
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Just got word from kelli at AS racing that my suspension is done and on its way back to me right on time. I should have it Friday and be ready to test it out on Sunday. Plus I'm on vacation the following week and plan on riding as much as I can. I must say how impressed I am with the customer service with AS. Last Friday while at work my iPhone indicated to me of a new email, when I checked I had two emails. One from ups tracking stating my package had been delivered and the other was from Paul saying he just received my suspension and would have it done by Tuesday.
Now the fun begins. Our local desert series is pretty much over for me. The rest of the races before V2R don't interest me so now it's just prep for August. My list of items I need grows every day. My biggest expense will be bibs and tires and then chain, sprockets, and chain sliders, and I also need a new helmet. My current one is DOT but not Snell. Luckily I have picked up a couple new supporters and will be getting a new helmet from Oneal and extra filters from Twin Air. My bibs will be coming from MX1 West but they have been on back order for months now. Everything else I will get from Wrights motorcycle here in Utah and Rocky Mountain ATV.
I'll also need to get the chase vehicle prepped. I plan on using my Cherokee so I'll need to get a rack for the top for spares and I'm going to put in a new fuel pump, I think mine is starting to get weak. Other wise it should be a solid ride and the a/c is cold for my chase crew. Wusses ;-) Fano's main concern, " the a/c works right?" I'd better get him a plug in massager for the seat also.
Covered, I already have one of those. Hopefully your charging system can handle that.

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #66
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Tee-hee
I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. My newly rebuilt suspension showed up today. Thanks AS Racing I can't wait to get these installed. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338595906.582501.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  16.6 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #67
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Scott's really makes a nice product and they make it easily serviceable. I just took my SS apart, cleaned it, replace a worn seal, and got it back together with oil in less than 15 min:-)Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338653411.551568.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  68.1 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #68
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

I think this tire is done. Yesterdays ride finished it off so tonight was spent putting new rubber on. Damn I hate changing tires.
It was an awesome day. I got my bike back together with my newly rebuilt AS Racing suspension on Saturday and on Sunday I went riding with Fano, Steve, and Oliver. I was giggling out loud as I flew through the desert. I never knew how good a bike could feel. It felt as though I was hovering inches above the ground on most terrain and on big hits and whoops it stayed straight and predictable.
I'm going to head to 5 mile again tomorrow and make the trek to eureka and then maybe a little into cherry creek if time permits. Need to get back for my daughters graduation.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338863733.322933.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  84.1 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #69
AgentSmith
The CRF guy...

Oddometer: 12
I'm so glad that you are digging your suspenders!!! Sure makes a big difference when you have the confidence in your bike to just hammer down when you see whoops...

Can't wait to meet you guys in person at the V2R...gonna be a great race this year!!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #70
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Scott's really makes a nice product and they make it easily serviceable. I just took my SS apart, cleaned it, replace a worn seal, and got it back together with oil in less than 15 min:-)Attachment 313589
What oil did you use? I need to service mine too.

P.S. AS it's good to see you over on this board too.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports

KZJohn screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 07:36 AM Reason: Brain fart.
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #71
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZJohn View Post

I bought the oil that Scott's sells. There was enough oil that i should be able to service it 2-3 more times. I ordered the seals, oil, and bullet tool for the seals right from them.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #72
AgentSmith
The CRF guy...

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZJohn View Post

Scott's sells it's own oil for the stabilizers...that's what we use when servicing. It's basically a 5wt fork oil.

P.S. Thank you John...been lurking for years, just haven't posted much.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #73
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSmith View Post
Scott's sells it's own oil for the stabilizers...that's what we use when servicing. It's basically a 5wt fork oil.

P.S. Thank you John...been lurking for years, just haven't posted much.
I'm honored you have chosen my thread to start posting.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #74
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist

I decided I'd better start practicing night riding, so Fano and I went out to 5 mile pass yesterday evening. The plan was to start riding no later than 8:30 in order to give us enough time to make it to eureka and before the gas station closes at 10pm. Well it was about 8:55 when we finally got on our way with a new plan of skipping some of the slower single track in order to make up time. So much for that. We ended up on a dirt road we thought would get us to the main road but we just ended up on a two track that kept snaking us in and out of the cedars. Finally we hit the paved road into eureka and it was 10:10. Oh well, we decided to at least still get to the town so as to have bearings on how to get back. We pulled up to the dark and closed gas station to assess the fuel situation and I still had at least half a tank, and we figured Fano did as well, so we pushed on back to 5 mile. The trip back was uneventful but fun and at about 1 mile from the truck Fano had to switch to reserve. We got done about midnight and did 77 miles.
This was my first time riding at night off road and although it was enjoyable I could see my self getting into big trouble with the dust and limited visibility. Numerous times I found myself riding too fast and leaving the trail when all of a sudden there was a turn that was not seen. I was just following one bike and it was hair ball so I can only imagine what getting passed by trophies trucks will be like.
My new goal for August besides just finishing is beating the dark.
Thanks dumb girl for the use of your light.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339101349.314506.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  52.5 KB
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #75
zack05
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Is that the light that you are racing with? I went ahead and got the BD Squadron LED, but haven't tested it at night yet.
zack05 is offline   Reply With Quote