ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #76
frog
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
I decided I'd better start practicing night riding, so Fano and I went out to 5 mile pass yesterday evening. The plan was to start riding no later than 8:30 in order to give us enough time to make it to eureka and before the gas station closes at 10pm. Well it was about 8:55 when we finally got on our way with a new plan of skipping some of the slower single track in order to make up time. So much for that. We ended up on a dirt road we thought would get us to the main road but we just ended up on a two track that kept snaking us in and out of the cedars. Finally we hit the paved road into eureka and it was 10:10. Oh well, we decided to at least still get to the town so as to have bearings on how to get back. We pulled up to the dark and closed gas station to assess the fuel situation and I still had at least half a tank, and we figured Fano did as well, so we pushed on back to 5 mile. The trip back was uneventful but fun and at about 1 mile from the truck Fano had to switch to reserve. We got done about midnight and did 77 miles.
This was my first time riding at night off road and although it was enjoyable I could see my self getting into big trouble with the dust and limited visibility. Numerous times I found myself riding too fast and leaving the trail when all of a sudden there was a turn that was not seen. I was just following one bike and it was hair ball so I can only imagine what getting passed by trophies trucks will be like.
My new goal for August besides just finishing is beating the dark.
Thanks dumb girl for the use of your light.
Attachment 313596
Did you switch hers over to 100w bulb? It makes a big difference in the amount of light and also the distance of the beam. The problem with a single 8 is they don't provide much flood so if it's twisty you have a lot of blind spots.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't have an issue you'll finish before dark.
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #77
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist
 
Kanook's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack05 View Post
Is that the light that you are racing with? I went ahead and got the BD Squadron LED, but haven't tested it at night yet.
Same light but the HID version. Luckily I ride with a group of baja and V2R veterans with all the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Did you switch hers over to 100w bulb? It makes a big difference in the amount of light and also the distance of the beam. The problem with a single 8 is they don't provide much flood so if it's twisty you have a lot of blind spots.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't have an issue you'll finish before dark.
I didn't. I haven't upgraded my stator yet so not sure if I can run 100w. Pilo said he has a stator for me I just need to get it and get an upgraded regulator/rectifier to go with it.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766871
'05 450X
'12 Tiger 800xc
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #78
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper
 
AngryShawn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sonoma County, Ca
Oddometer: 394
A fee things to keep in mind:
To finish in the daylight you'll have to do the race in about 12 hours or less, averaging better than 45mph. If you can do that, you are in business.
This is about the same timeframe that the lead open class vehicles also start getting to the finish, however the final stretch from Weeks to Dayton is not as high speed as the rest of the course due to being rougher, so bikes can have a bit of an advantage.
Personally I found that getting passed by vehicles at night was less stressful than daytime as their 'power of the sun' lights are a dead giveaway that you are about to be passed and therefore was much easier to get off the course sooner.
A helmet light is a very nice piece of gear to have to supplement the HID spot beam. As Frog pointed out, you will have some blind/dark spots with the spot beam, and with the helmet light, you can put light where you are looking and fill in some of those areas.
Granted, if you have the ability to finish in daylight, you won't need all that lighting gear. However ANYTHING can happen, so personally I pack everything I have to be safe...
__________________
Barnstormerracing.com
Proudly sponsored by:
MX1WEST GUEnergy Dunlop Factory Backing Dubya
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #79
AgentSmith
The CRF guy...
 
AgentSmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 12
We finished last year in 10 hours and change with our Open Expert team...Anna Cody was riding for us as well. She solo'ed it on a 250X and finished in 15 hours, after dark.

About the stator: The OEM stator will not run a 100W bulb. It puts out 64W total, and that is split between two circuits. One 20W DC to charge the battery and one 44W AC to run lights.

A Baja Designs stator rewind will net you 150W total on a single DC output. Running a 100W bulb, 20W to recharge battery will leave above 30W to run helmet lights if needed. Obviously, choosing a light like the new Squadron LED set up will use much less wattage and will give you a lot of excess capacity to run things like a beer cooler or a boombox...
__________________
"Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, light him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life..."
AgentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #80
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KZJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills
Oddometer: 331
I wen't with a BD stator on my CRF and one 8" Halo combined with dual Trailtech HID helmet lights for the 2010 B1k. NOT ENOUGH LIGHT! We dropped from 3rd in class to a 6th at the finish because of poor lighting. One thing about helmet lights, the light will reflect back in your face in dusty conditions. Think white out conditions in a snow storm, same affect. I still use the helmet lights but leave them turned off most of the time. BTW, I now have a dual 8" set up with my Halo converted to HID and am going to buy another HID. The BD stator was able to deal with the single Halo, HID helmet lights, IRC E-Tracker, tail light, and charge the battery. I don't forsee a problem in the future powering up the dual 8"ers and helmet lights,( the IRC E-Tracker is no longer offered to bike/quad teams).
__________________
1976 KZ900A4
1985 CR250R
2006 CRF450X(Baja ready baby!!)
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #81
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist
 
Kanook's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSmith View Post
We finished last year in 10 hours and change with our Open Expert team...Anna Cody was riding for us as well. She solo'ed it on a 250X and finished in 15 hours, after dark.

About the stator: The OEM stator will not run a 100W bulb. It puts out 64W total, and that is split between two circuits. One 20W DC to charge the battery and one 44W AC to run lights.

A Baja Designs stator rewind will net you 150W total on a single DC output. Running a 100W bulb, 20W to recharge battery will leave above 30W to run helmet lights if needed. Obviously, choosing a light like the new Squadron LED set up will use much less wattage and will give you a lot of excess capacity to run things like a beer cooler or a boombox...
Thanks for the info. I'm getting a high output stator donated to me by fellow rider/inmate Pilo (not sure what the wattage is) and I'll be using another buddies HID 8" baja light. Or my other option is a BD tecate light with both HID and a halogen that has been offered to me at a very good price also from Pilo. Not sure which route to go. Pilo had mentioned how he would have liked to have had the tecate and the halogen when it came to the end of the race and it got more rocky.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766871
'05 450X
'12 Tiger 800xc
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #82
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist
 
Kanook's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZJohn View Post
I wen't with a BD stator on my CRF and one 8" Halo combined with dual Trailtech HID helmet lights for the 2010 B1k. NOT ENOUGH LIGHT! We dropped from 3rd in class to a 6th at the finish because of poor lighting. One thing about helmet lights, the light will reflect back in your face in dusty conditions. Think white out conditions in a snow storm, same affect. I still use the helmet lights but leave them turned off most of the time. BTW, I now have a dual 8" set up with my Halo converted to HID and am going to buy another HID. The BD stator was able to deal with the single Halo, HID helmet lights, IRC E-Tracker, tail light, and charge the battery. I don't forsee a problem in the future powering up the dual 8"ers and helmet lights,( the IRC E-Tracker is no longer offered to bike/quad teams).
Yes I've been told that about helmet lights and it makes sense.
I'm trying to stay on budget but LED's are looking promising.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766871
'05 450X
'12 Tiger 800xc
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #83
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Yes I've been told that about helmet lights and it makes sense.
I'm trying to stay on budget but LED's are looking promising.
I haven't mounted yet, but I've plugged in, the ADVMonster LED's. There's a thread in the vendors aisle. Great light throw, and from what I've seen great life. I got my 4, 2 spots and 2 floods on sale for about 250$ total. Regular price is 60$/spot and 100/flood i believe. They're going on the front of my bike hopefully this weekend or next.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #84
AgentSmith
The CRF guy...
 
AgentSmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 12
Kanook,

make sure the stator isn't a RS stator. I know more guys who have had their race ruined from those Chinese pos's burning out. BD only rewinds OEM stators, no Chinese junk. Diego at BD is a buddy and will work some great deals if you need help.

I'm doing a race bike for a customer right now, stator and the new LED set up...I'm very interested to see how it comes out compared to my HID set up I run on my bike.
__________________
"Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, light him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life..."
AgentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #85
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KZJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills
Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSmith View Post
Kanook,

make sure the stator isn't a RS stator. I know more guys who have had their race ruined from those Chinese pos's burning out. BD only rewinds OEM stators, no Chinese junk. Diego at BD is a buddy and will work some great deals if you need help.

I'm doing a race bike for a customer right now, stator and the new LED set up...I'm very interested to see how it comes out compared to my HID set up I run on my bike.
I know of a couple of CRF's that DNFed last years B1K due to stator meltdowns, none were BD's stuff as far as I know of. Mine has lasted through 4 years of abuse and is still working great. When I spoke to the guy's at BD about Dual *' HID vrs' LED I was told that the LED was good at short to med distances but the 8" x2 still reached out further at speed. I would like to see a side by side camparo though.
__________________
1976 KZ900A4
1985 CR250R
2006 CRF450X(Baja ready baby!!)
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #86
frog
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Heber City, UT
Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZJohn View Post
I know of a couple of CRF's that DNFed last years B1K due to stator meltdowns, none were BD's stuff as far as I know of. Mine has lasted through 4 years of abuse and is still working great. When I spoke to the guy's at BD about Dual *' HID vrs' LED I was told that the LED was good at short to med distances but the 8" x2 still reached out further at speed. I would like to see a side by side camparo though.
The leds work great for flood but don't do distance well. It would be great if someone made an 8 inch with two led light bars for flood but till then dual 8's are the ticket.
__________________
Thank you MX1WEST, Highway Dirt Bikes Lindsay Machine, Smart Performance, SPS for the Support
257x Solo Baja 1000
If I had not some strength of will I would make a first class drunkard--Shackleton
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #87
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties
 
M.A.G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: George-uh.
Oddometer: 1,010
2 more cents

I use a couple of "Cree" LED lights that are battery powered and throw a ton of light. ( 1200 lumens I think? ) They can be velcro'd to your helmet or attached to the bike easily, and are mobile with you if you choose. I don't know how they would do at a buck 20 like Frog does, but at human speeds they are ok, and if you have to get off your bike and look around or if your do run some moderate speed stuff they work good, and are generally cheap. Just something extra, that would not tax your stator.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #88
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 8,103
I mounted my 4 LED's on saturday. I'll post a link for FYI when I get the report and pics together. On paper, it's 6600 lumens for 78W. I'm no expert, but it's friggin bright.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #89
Kanook OP
Adventure zymologist
 
Kanook's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I mounted my 4 LED's on saturday. I'll post a link for FYI when I get the report and pics together. On paper, it's 6600 lumens for 78W. I'm no expert, but it's friggin bright.
Keep me posted on what you think of the floods. I'm considering using the 8" hid and a couple led floods from ADVmonster.
__________________
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766871
'05 450X
'12 Tiger 800xc
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #90
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,463
I finished 2010 with my stock light with a 55w bulb
__________________
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014