Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Rooster Cruiser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Alberta highway 734. Hinton, AB to Crowsnest pass, AB???

Anyone ever rode this stretch of hwy 734 in Alberta, Canada?? Is it a decent route? Looks like all gravel. Are Metzler Tourance acceptable for this route? Camping?? Any info would help. Planning to run this in the summer 2012. I can't find much info on this stretch of hwy. Plenty of info on hwy 40 from Grande Prairie, AB to Hinton, AB. But no good info from Hinton, AB south... Any help would be great! Thanks...
Rooster Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Cruiser View Post
Anyone ever rode this stretch of hwy 734 in Alberta, Canada?? Is it a decent route? Looks like all gravel. Are Metzler Tourance acceptable for this route? Camping?? Any info would help. Planning to run this in the summer 2012. I can't find much info on this stretch of hwy. Plenty of info on hwy 40 from Grande Prairie, AB to Hinton, AB. But no good info from Hinton, AB south... Any help would be great! Thanks...
This is the Alberta Forestry Trunk Road and I have driven it and biked it many times over 40 years, while vacationing and working as a fire look out for the Alberta Forest Service.
Your tourance tires should be fine as it is now a high grade gravel road. there are many oportunities to camp any where you please and there are forestry camp grounds also. it will be dusty on the weekends with campers and not to bad during the week, (dusty unless it is raining)
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Rooster Cruiser OP
Adventurer

Cal:

Thanks for the info! Is it very scenic, or will I have to stand up and fight the handlebars the whole time? Looks like about 220 miles from Hinson to Crowsnest pass...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Rooster Cruiser OP
Adventurer

Hmmm...

Actually looks like about 320 miles, or 660km?..
Old 02-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Actually looks like about 320 miles, or 660km?..
320 miles is about 520kms
I have not done the section just north of crowsnest pass for 20 years but believe 734/40 may be about half paved now?
Very scenic through the Kananaskis Country, North of Cochrane is more foothills and spruce forests, Nordegg to Hinton gets you back closer to the mountains. This route is more of an adventure ride than Hwy 93 north to Jasper.
93 is spectacular scenery right in the mountains and paved, a regular national park hwy.
The winnibago crowd will be on 93 and 734 will be the campers.

When will you arrive in Alberta?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Cal
Studly Adventurer

heres some good info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_Highway_40
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
fasteddiecopeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
You should be OK with about any reasonable DS tires. From the north I would suggest you leave Hwy 16 just west of Hinton to go to Cadomin and Luscar. Using MapQuest it shows RR253A (RangeRoad) and Township Road 501A. Increase the scale so you can see the roads. After Luscar south thru Leyland and on to Mountain Park. Proceeding south on the road from there you'll go over a pass (Wildhorse???) then down, and you'll follow the Cardinal River SE then E thru Grave Flats to join with the Forestry Trunk Road (FTR) S of Pembina Flats. Gas is available in Hinton, and the town of Robb which is east of Luscar a ways, and at Nordegg just off the David Thompson Hwy. South from there you can get gas at Mountainaire Lodge (look for Bearberry off to the east for a rough location as far as north/south) pretty much on the Red Deer River. I've ridden and driven ALL these roads, and seen cars at Wildhorse Pass, so the roads are NOT totally technical! After Mountainaire Lodge the next gas will be on Hwy 1 (Trans Canada Hwy), then the Crowsnest Hwy 3.

If you're lucky and it rained the day before, not too much dust, but IF it's dry - dust can be killer!

Have fun.

Cheers,
Ed
fasteddiecopeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Rooster Cruiser OP
Adventurer

Cal:

I'll be entering BC north of Eureka, Montana around June 25th, heading north on hwy 93 to hwy 16 headed north/west to Alaska, then headed back via hwy 4/97/2 into Grande Prairie, AB. Then 40/734 south to hwys 3/6/17 back to Babb, MT.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll be entering BC north of Eureka, Montana around June 25th, heading north on hwy 93 to hwy 16 headed north/west to Alaska, then headed back via hwy 4/97/2 into Grande Prairie, AB. Then 40/734 south to hwys 3/6/17 back to Babb, MT.
send a message as you get closer, I spend most of the summer in B.C. near Revelstoke
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is it very scenic, or will I have to stand up and fight the handlebars the whole time? Looks like about 220 miles from Hinson to Crowsnest pass...
Mind the trucks,...they move fast and kick up some big rocks.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Rooster Cruiser OP
Adventurer

Nice!

Thanks guys for all the info! I'm pretty damn excited about this trip! Thanks again, and Cal.. I'll definetly shoot you a message when I get close.