Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Idahoer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
About the lighting, TwistedThrottle has an excellent $150.oo fork-mounted small light set with spot or fog option that held up to Alaska and back. I mounted fog on right for broader moose-vision and spot for left, they doubled the output with negligible current draw on my Versys. PIAA is better, but if you dump once, they are all toast.
The on/off switch turned itself on in the rain. Silicone sealer fixed that.

Stick with your Nuvi 500 GPS, it is a perfect, tough unit, and easier to use than the new ones. The 600 that replaced it was a big mistake, and the replacement for that one is over $800.

For dirt roads, soft cases can get torn off in a crash, where the Happy Trails can protect the bike, but they catch a lot of wind and dropped my MPG bigtime. Maybe there was too much weight. But I wouldn't want to catch the sharpish corners of the H.T. luggage in the back of the leg in a crash. Always thought the Pelican Case style could be safer, but not lighter. They are ruggeder than a bear can. And hard cases allow you to lay the bike on the side for wheel removal if you don't have a centerstand.

North Face makes a 3o degree 900 fill sleeping bag that packs like a small loaf of bread and weighs 1 pound. Other companies have competitive models, checkout Mountaingear.com. I know you have a bag, but the size and weight savings give double payback.

Last year I burned up a new Pirelli Diablo Strada rear tire in 6,000 highway miles, down to the cotton. It was the weight, the shop put on new Dunlop Sportmac with dual compound and said to add 4 more psi, now I have 6,000 on that tire with plenty left. 2 loaded 9" Happy Trails plus a rollsack on the seat total over 100 pounds directly over the rear tire and probably overheated it. Lesson learned, reduce weight. No fat chicks.

Bring 6 bags of high quality jerky from home. You will only find the KMart kind on the road, stuck between your teeth like a shoestring. Secret to making miles is snacking, not stopping for sandwiches. And a straw allows RedBull consumption while driving, they zip into riding jacket under the chin. But please load only when stopped.

Wolfman tank bag, or any good tank bag, as a removable cockpit.

Locking knob from Ram Mount for the Garmin. They work. Thefts are as common in Canada as in the U.S.

Adjustable tiedown straps, when you want to carry home those Moose Antlers.

Handwarmers or heated grips. Mornings in hilly areas will be 50 degrees.

Emergency fishing kit, so you don't starve while waiting for AAA who ain't coming.

SPOT locator allows outgoing SMS and for family to know where you are, noticing that your body has not moved in 2 days, and it has a rescue botton on it.
TOOLS: Tire compressor and patch kit and little jumper cables. 1 liter spare fuel can (MSR or Primus), never a Gatorade bottle. Mechanics Wire and 3 feet of electrical wire for patching, and a tiny voltmeter (or testlight) to find where the volts got lost. Spare nut and bolt kit (European) for $15.00 on every motorcycle shops counter can get you out of the jam when things fall off. Zip Ties, and not the Dollar Store ones, they break. 1" Gorilla Tape, for emergency electrical repairs and reassembly. Small can of Chain Lube, vs. the full sized ones, saves space and a little weight.

Make SURE that your tool kit contains the odd wrenches for removing the wheels. Many don't, and I believe that BMW has an unusual front axle.

You can find cheap headnet for blackflies if camping in moist area. Nature's vampires.

Do not pickup girls on roadside. They are doper outlaws. Visit a reputable establishment if you must. It's legal.
Idahoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
Outside
Confused

Oddometer: 155
New Brunswick

If you're looking for an out of the way setting but with some camping amenities I hightly recommend Mount Carleton in Northern New Brunswick. In my opinion it's the best spot in the province to camp. Lakes and mountains (small but they're the tallest we have in NB) rivers and wildlife abound. There's no electricity to the park so make sure to have $ to pay for your site. The store and main office run on generators. If you get there early or mid-week there's a pretty good chance that you'll have the park mostly to yourself.

If you prefer not to pay for your camping, there are so many dirt roads in that area (and most of NB) that finding a nice secluded spot would be easy.

In early or mid summer you shouldn't have any problems with moose unless you spook a mother and calf. The males can be dangerous in the fall. Mind you riding early morning or late in the day, keep an eye out for them along the road. The bears are usually very skittish and avoid human confrontation at all costs. Most of the time, they'll just run away. Take a look on-line for tips in dealing with the extremely rare situation of a black bear being aggressive.

Dealing with flies..bug spray with a lot of DEET, a smokey fire as the sun goes down helps a bit too.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
Daners5150 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
All good info. I like the camping idea and was planning to spend as much time camping as possible. Bears don't bother me at all, growing up in CA, black bears were a constant camping entertainment...especially when they licked all the chocolate out of our hot chocolate container...lesson learned...plant raw meat on the other side of the camp ground.

Definitely planning to learn all the peculiar tools that I'll need for the F800, torx wrenches are on the list. Anyone out there have any advice on particular tools that have come in handy? Especially for the F800. I was thinking about getting a small portable compressor, any suggestions?

I'm leaning towards Jesse panniers at the moment. I like the idea of hard bags because they can lock, theft is a human problem and not relegated to DC unfortunately. They might get my leg, but I'll take the chance that they'll save my leg rather than take it. I've already been side swiped here in DC and my engine guards saved my leg that time.

Also, thanks for the lighting suggestion, I'll check that out.

I've also been thinking about adjusting my route to go up through Montreal and north. Any suggestions, I want to see as much as I can and stay on dirt as much as possible. Since I'm unfamiliar with Canada I'm relying on the natives for some trip advice...Stud Mill Road does look pretty awesome though!

Thanks.
Daners5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,328
[QUOTE=mottarded;18115238]Not entirley sure which way you will be cutting across Maine, but if you are looking for some dirt roads check out the Stud Mill Road. Runs from Milford (20 minutes above Bangor) to Princeton (eastern ME, rt 1) it would be 65-80 miles of DESOLATE dirt roads, no towns not even and wide spots in the road. You will see all kinds of wildlife, could camp just about anywhere along the way and may see a handful of people. You can check it out on google maps, there are a lot of side roads that branch off.

[/QUOTE\

Motorcycles are not permitted on the western end (Milford) of the Stud Mill Rd. The small white rectangular sign about 200 yds in from the start of the road says so....it is not a public road

in the "laying down tracks" forum check out and watch the TET project. A route thru Maine which is all legal roads and alot of dirt roads will become part of the TET project later this year
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 06:43 PM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #20
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Contact these guys, www.nbdsc.ca , their a minefull of good information and you may meet some people to ride with for a bit and welcome to the east coast of Canada.

Cheers Slowphil

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #21
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,827
I rode to New Brunswick last summer. it was a nice day trip from Philadelphia. Spent a few days riding around there, it was beautiful. I'll agree that it isn't remote, and I also wouldn't really call it a long trip that requires too much planning. I did NB over a 4 day weekend, one day there, 2 day stay, 1 day back.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote