Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
BEC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Brian Australia - Year Around Oz

Riders of Australia,
Ready or not here I come.
I plan to arrive in Sydney the second week of June 2005, only a few weeks away. My itinerary will begin in Sydney and ride to Melbourne along the coastal highway. Then take the ferry across to Tasmania and back to Melbourne. From there I plan to go to Adelaide to Mildura to Wagga Wagga to Canberra through the Blue Mountains back to Sydney to get my bike serviced and checked. Assuming all is well and rested I will continue up the east coast to Brisbane riding both inland and coastal roads. From Brisbane I will continue to Rockhampton to Townsville to Cairns to the Cape York Peninsula. From there I plan to ride southwest and take the Burke Developmental Road to the Barkly Highway west across to the Stuart Highway south to Alice Springs. Hopefully in Alice Springs I will be able to have some type of a true Aboriginal Experience. I took a class when I was at the University that focused on the indigenous people of Australia and hope to rekindle some of those lessons. From there I plan to ride back north towards Darwin. I would like to take a side trip to the Cobourg Peninsula, I hear it is nice, from there I will head to Darwin. From Darwin I will ride toward the Kimberlies and explore the northwest corner. Then off to Broome and continue to ride down the west coast to Perth. Once I arrive in Perth I would like to spend some time there maybe a couple of months and organize my thoughts and ideas. Hopefully my parents will come to visit and take the train across from Sydney to Perth. From there I will continue to the south west corner and ride up to Kalgoorlie. From there I will take the long ride along the southern rim all the way to Port Lincoln to Port Augusta across to Broken Hill to Dubbo to Orange back to Sydney.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my threads, I have learned a lot. Please feel free to give me all the advice in the world on this thread, I am all ears.

Brian
"A rider with a dream"
Attached Images

BEC screwed with this post 02-19-2006 at 08:08 AM
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,461
G'day Brian, sounds like a good plan. Will you be using a V-Strom as you suggested? I've been having a bit of a look at them on the 'net and they look pretty interesting, quite a following overseas, here they are offering $2000 cash back deals which makes them probably the cheapest bike in the class. Anyway, i'm in Cobar, sounds like you'll be passing through here on your way back, give me a yell and we can probably catch up. We've got a spare bed if needed!

Bill
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,542
Brian, you will be coming right past my front door on your first Day - drop me an email. - Mark
Old 04-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Australia
Riders of Australia,
Ready or not here I come.

Hopefully in Alice Springs I will be able to have some type of a true Aboriginal Experience. I took a class when I was at the University that focused on the indigenous people of Australia and hope to rekindle some of those lessons.

You mean like this? http://www.armidaleindependent.com.a...2005040601.pdf
Or this? http://www.armidaleindependent.com.a...2005033001.pdf

I hope for your sake you don't have a true aboriginal experience. People mostly end up in hospital after those!
"To a man of imagination, a map is a window to adventure." -- Sir Francis Chichester (1902-1972)
lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
Im going on a 3 day ride out of Sydney on the 10,11 , 12 June to a bike rally via some good tar and dirt roads, if you want to come along with us you would be most welcome.

Greg
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Im going on a 3 day ride out of Sydney on the 10,11 , 12 June to a bike rally via some good tar and dirt roads, if you want to come along with us you would be most welcome.

Greg
Sapphire Rally Greg? If so, see you there!

Cheers,
Ash.
"To a man of imagination, a map is a window to adventure." -- Sir Francis Chichester (1902-1972)
Old 04-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmiwinks
You mean like this? http://www.armidaleindependent.com.a...2005040601.pdf
Or this? http://www.armidaleindependent.com.a...2005033001.pdf

I hope for your sake you don't have a true aboriginal experience. People mostly end up in hospital after those!
What the Fuck is that spose to mean?
Old 04-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
What the Fuck is that spose to mean?
Come up to Armidale and go out in the mall on a Friday or Saturday night. It's not fucking rocket science mate. I'll get the ambo boys on standby to pick up your bleeding heart sorry arse out of the gutter once it's had the shit kicked out of it.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmiwinks
Come up to Armidale and go out in the mall on a Friday or Saturday night. It's not fucking rocket science mate. I'll get the ambo boys on standby to pick up your bleeding heart sorry arse out of the gutter once it's had the shit kicked out of it.
Oh and I expect that 'mall violence' is the exclusive domain of the koori -

No, you are right it isnt Rocket Science, its straight out Blind ignorant Bigotry.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
No, you are right it isnt Rocket Science, its straight out Blind ignorant Bigotry.
Agreed... Unfortunately all to common...

To the OP. let me know if he wants a list of places to see, ride and cheaper places to stay in North Qld.

eg Criterion Hotel @ Finch Hatton, $15 a night.. woOt !!! Eungella Dam camping area, $0 a night etc
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

I had an email notification from a BurnieM? - but dont see the post

You really do not want to ask that of anybody in Sydney who has driven thru Redfern even once.

Prejudice is judging before the facts; when you have the facts (and they ain't pretty or even sane) it ain't prejudice
Old 04-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
GS-Jake
Live to Ride Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Time to close this can of worms and back to the real reason we post on this. Motorcycling! When you come past Brisbane drop me a line, I may be able to show you some of the great motorcycling roads in our area. I am a shift worker so rides during the week are usually OK. So shall we continue in the spirit of motorcycling brotherhood! Gentlemen.
I just do what the voices tell me
GS-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
BEC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Gents,
Thank you for all your invites. I would love to take you all up on them. Besides my itinerary, my time line is pretty open. When I get there I get there frame of mind. Has anyone done my suggested route before?

Brian
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 AM   #14
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Gents,
Has anyone done my suggested route before?
Brian
Quote:
Brisbane riding both inland and coastal roads. From Brisbane I will continue to Rockhampton to Townsville to Cairns to the Cape York Peninsula. From there I plan to ride southwest and take the Burke Developmental Road to the Barkly Highway west across to the Stuart Highway south
This is my "stompin'" ground and I have ridden lots of this area extensively... Let me know if you want to email some suggested "routes" and the sort of riding you are after eg more challenging dirt, easy off road, bitumen...

There is a lot of great riding from Brisbane through to Cairns, most riders just breeze on through to Cairns. I have been riding it for a decades and have barely scratced the surface !

There was some good stuff posted in this thread, worth a look over.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67464

Trevor S screwed with this post 04-24-2005 at 05:38 AM
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #15
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Quote:
Gents,
Thank you for all your invites. I would love to take you all up on them. Besides my itinerary, my time line is pretty open. When I get there I get there frame of mind. Has anyone done my suggested route before?

Brian
not in one trip Brian but over a few yes -