ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 987

Great Report!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #47
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Great report. I love these desert reports. I live in South Florida so while I get the heat not many visits to the desert.

Strange you would think I would want to get out of the heat and only find curvy roads in cool climate, but I found myself very drawn to these RRs on Big Bend, Death Valley and the Baja.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #48
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Rooster Poot, Tennessee

That's just up the road from Frog Fart, Jawja, init?

Welcome, ducnek! I gotta' say, your avatar doesn't look too calm... or maybe that's just me?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #49
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Cheaper than a Harley

I stopped correcting folks a long time ago and just say thanks. I have done alot to it since my trip to BBNP in 2009. Although I have been off of it for nearly 2 years due to a broken leg that went bad. I am pretty much fixed now, but the left leg won't every be the same, alot weaker, plus it has some hardware in it now. So here is my bike now sitting next to the sidecar. I have all the parts to put it together. I was going to do that this week, but have cought a nasty upper respiritory infection.

It's a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500, and it will tote the groceries too. Sounds like a HD too.

I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #50
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

My other addiction

This is my other addition. Speed in any form is addictive.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 987
[QUOTE=Phattyre-Phready2;18092458]That's just up the road from Frog Fart, Jawja, init?
QUOTE]

Yep just down the road a bit
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #52
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All the bling of a Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I stopped correcting folks a long time ago and just say thanks. I have done alot to it since my trip to BBNP in 2009. Although I have been off of it for nearly 2 years due to a broken leg that went bad. I am pretty much fixed now, but the left leg won't every be the same, alot weaker, plus it has some hardware in it now. So here is my bike now sitting next to the sidecar. I have all the parts to put it together. I was going to do that this week, but have cought a nasty upper respiritory infection.

It's a 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1500, and it will tote the groceries too. Sounds like a HD too.

without the oil leaks!

So sorry to hear about the leg. Get you a mtb and practice one legged spins with that leg... you might get some back!? And there's nothing better to feed the 'Need for speed' than rippin' some good, downhill single-track... unless you own a Corvette! Lucky bastid.

Ahh... an Intruder... shoulda' known... ya' hijacker!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #53
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Perhaps it's the solitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
Great report. I love these desert reports. I live in South Florida so while I get the heat not many visits to the desert.

Strange you would think I would want to get out of the heat and only find curvy roads in cool climate, but I found myself very drawn to these RRs on Big Bend, Death Valley and the Baja.
Thanks, danh600. The common thread in desert reports are the wide open views and the peace and quiet... maybe that's the attraction? I don't like crowds and standing in line is not for me... none of that at Big Bend!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #54
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Owl love scenes

This will be my third attempt at Day 3... the first 2 disappeared as I was typing... suddenly, I'm at the latest post?? At least they weren't that long and the storyline is a new favorite memory!

I awaken to owl songs. There's still no sign of light, so I just listen. It's not just the Great Horned owls... I can hear several hoot owls in various locations and what has to be a screech owl. Sis would love this place... she's an avid birder. I read that there are more different species of birds in BBNP than any other NP. At first, I found that hard to believe. But when you consider there are 3 distinct ecosystems within the park, it makes good sense. I made sure to bring my camera to the tent last night in hopes of getting a glimpse of the owls... my wishes are granted!

I don't dare try to unzip the mesh door. These birds of prey can hear a mouse squeak half a mile away... he even glances my direction when I turn the camera on! I'd left the rainfly open for stargazing... and got a shot of the daybreak star of Cottonwood CG! I try to snap a shot of him hooting... he bobs up and down a time or 2 as he calls, then stretches forward to purr on the end hoot. The low light needs a tripod and it comes out blurry, but you can see he's stretched forward to produce the purr on the end.

I hear the female call from nearby and take a shot in that direction. I see her bobbing as she calls, in the left edge of the right center tree.

She's purring, too... on all three final hoots! He flies over and joins her. Much rustling ensues! They'll soon be owlettes in CwCG.

It doesn't matter what happens today, because that just made my day!!! And what a beautiful day it is... we had a big cottonwood tree where I grew up and I realize that the scent that keeps triggering long ago memories is probably coming from the cottonwood? I'm getting that peaceful, easy feeling... just remembering the peace and contentment I felt at that time.

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 07:49 AM
Phattyre-Phready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #55
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boquillas Canyon

The plan for Day 3 is to ride to Rio Grande Village, hike Boquillas Canyon, then soak in the hot springs. As I prepare to leave, the ranger responsible for irrigating the campground warns me they'll be watering today and to put everything above the water line. He then asks if the owls are costing me any sleep... says many people are annoyed by them!? He said the babies are too funny... they often leave the nest tree for a nearby one before they can even fly. They squeak and whistle all night, begging for food. He's very friendly and informative, honestly answering all my questions about backroad conditions.

I pack a lunch and head out much later than planned. Ross Maxwell Drive... again... and stop at Panther Junction Visitor Center. I've read they have some neat displays, including a huge, topographic map of BB.

For some reason, I ask the Ranger about the dirt road to the hot springs. He notices my ride gear and says "not on a motorcycle". I guess I give him a look, because he defensively snaps, " there's a 40% chance of rain this afternoon!" Why not just say that in the first place... I leave after barely glancing at the cool displays I'd intended to take pictures of. I guess I was distracted... I'm wearing mesh gear, there's a chance of rain and I didn't bring my raingear! It doesn't look like rain!? The extended forecast when I left Lubbock showed 10 days of brilliant sunshine for BB!

Surely that was just wishful thinking!? Should I go get my raingear? Nah... looks more like smog than rain clouds!

When I decided against a primitive campsite, I first planned to camp at Rio Grande Village campgrounds, but read about this straight 20 mile stretch and how it's where lots of speeding tickets are written and decided against it. If I have to repeat a road several times, make it Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive! I can see how this would get old after a few times!

Then the Chisos Mountains peek out from behind a non descript little hill...

and this boring stretch becomes highway that's hard to keep your eyes on!

I see an 'Exhibit' sign and pull over.

The south side of the Chisos Mountains.

Chihuahua!!!

Even though the terrain looks flat and featureless for the most part, there are also lots of gullies and washes.

And the closer I get, the more undulating and interesting it becomes!

The broad strip of green REALLY stands out in this drought.

I ride into the oasis, looking for a place to picnic.

I pass a Picnic Area sign and follow the road to the parking lot for the hot springs trail. There's one shaded picnic table that's already in use. There are a couple more tables, but they're in the direct sun and a pretty good hike. I ask the couple at the shady table if they've been to the hot springs.They have and said it smelled like a rest room so they didn't get in!

It's warm here and I decide I need shade more than a table and a place to rinse my face would be refreshing.

Mmmm...mmm! Those cherry pomegranate bars go good with lime powerade... cherry lime!

It's a beautiful place for a picnic... almost as good as the 'Madrone zone', but not quite.

The tree I'm parked under must've been hit by a car or something?

If not for it's prime location by the irrigation canal, it probably wouldn't have survived? Same tree a little higher up...

Even with irrigation, many of these trees look thirsty.

I ride through the campground and am pleased that I picked Cottonwood over this campground... it's huge and I can hear several generators disturbing the peace. For some reason, I turn into the group campsites and find this...

Rio Grande river access... just what I'm looking for! I've been here 3 days and still haven't touched this international boundary!?!!

It's cool, but not cold like you'd expect in February, and clearer than I thought it would be.

That's Mexico RIGHT over there! It doesn't look unrestful... it just looks desolate.

I stop by the Rio Grande Village visitor center and ask about the Boquillas Canyon hike. She asks if I have a place to lock my gear while I'm hiking... says they've had stuff stolen from unlocked cars recently. So I head for the canyon, unsure if I want to risk losing my gear and there's not room in the tail trunk for everything.

The internet spoke of an overlook where Mexicans from Boquillas leave their handmade goods on parking rocks. They leave coffee mate jars for donations. I see a sign that says 'Do not buy contraband from Mexico. It WILL be confiscated.'

I stop at the Rio Grande Overlook and there it is... illegal contraband from Old Mexico!

I'd love to buy a scorpion for Katie, my daughter in law.

I bet B-Rad would just LOVE one of those Boquillas braids to go with the fuzzy dice his Mom put on his boat mirror!

The coffee mate jars are there for donations, as reported. Check out the spelling... or maybe that is the correct spelling for faux scorpions made from twisted wire? Surely clean cardboard isn't scarce in Mexico?! This piece looks like it had been part of a chicken coop?

There were several of the artisans just across the river. They're friendly... I wave and shout, "buenos tardes"... they all wave and return the greeting!

The internet account of this said the rangers stop by regularly and confiscate the whole she-bang.

While I was standing there, an elderly lady struck up conversation, saying twenty years ago she and her family had stopped here. An old man in a rowboat took them across and she had the best mexican food she's ever had. Said she'd do it again, but Boquillas became a ghost town after 911 and border security was stepped up.

An unmanned border crossing has been approved somewhere in this area and is in the works, but I saw no signs of where it will be?

At each of the last pullouts, I've seen an old dude on a cruiser accompanied by a woman on a trike. Not sure if she's his daughter or girlfriend? She sure is pretty... and friendly, too! The old dude sees me take her picture and gives me a nasty look! Uh oh... must be his girlfriend? He puffs up like a rooster, walks to the edge of the overlook and spits a string of spanish at the artisans... something about gringo federales... and they all bust out laughing!.

I head on to Boquillas Canyon, but I've already decided I can't chance leaving my helmet and jacket exposed to possible theft... and it's way too hot to wear them!

I stop in the parking lot and everyone coming back from the canyon is sweaty. I ask one lady how is it? She said interesting, but not as good as Santa Elena. While I'm sitting there, an old man with a DSLR and huge lens asks if I mind if he takes some pictures of my bike. I say sure and start to dismount. He asks me to please stay seated and takes several shots from different angles, then pulls out a pen and paper and says he'll send me a pic if I give him my email. He even asks me to reply with info about the bike and warstrom decals. He wants one and asked if mine were for sale. Nawsir... not my Jessie! I'm still waiting for that pic...

I head back for Rio Grande Village... that's Boquillas, Mexico over yonder! The wind begins to smell like rain and the smog is getting bluer...

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #56
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Man you have been stomping the same grounds..

I got alot of this been there and done that going on with this last set of pics...... I didnt get anything done on the sidecar today......but then there is tomorrow, well I did pick up a couple of 8 ft floresent light bulbs to ue when I align things up, so not a totally wasted day.

I did a pick at the same location as you, the tunnel.

Older fat guys on cruisers with good looking chicks, I be one of thenm......I sure have a purty woman too, but no bike pics of her yet.

I always carried a backpack to put all my stuff in because I didnt have a way to lock it all up, in retrospec, not a good idea, I looked like a white gringo drug smuggler/dumbass......

Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #57
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pretty woman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I got alot of this been there and done that going on with this last set of pics...... I didnt get anything done on the sidecar today......but then there is tomorrow, well I did pick up a couple of 8 ft floresent light bulbs to ue when I align things up, so not a totally wasted day.

I did a pick at the same location as you, the tunnel.

Older fat guys on cruisers with good looking chicks, I be one of thenm......I sure have a purty woman too, but no bike pics of her yet.

I always carried a backpack to put all my stuff in because I didnt have a way to lock it all up, in retrospec, not a good idea, I looked like a white gringo drug smuggler/dumbass......

Gotta' be careful putting up pics of your woman... it could bring out the leghumpers! Put her behind the camera and photo document the sidecar hookup as you do it. I'd like to see how it's done! (in the proper thread, of course)

You might've looked like a smuggler, but at least you got to see Boquillas Canyon! Do you carry a tripod? I recognize the 'has it snapped yet' look in most your pics... a dead giveaway it's a timed self portrait.

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 07:09 AM
Phattyre-Phready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #58
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Limited use

I had a small tripod, but when you only have 10 seconds to get back in position.....it pretty much limits your photo ops, lol. And yeah, the blank stare look, never really thought about that one.......I normally just used a rock or log, or th ground to set the camera up.You should recognize this place, it was down that really rough road to the hot springs area, yeah I did it on my cruiser, and was standing up most of the way, it wasn't alot of fun, but on a dirtbike it would have been.

Notice those custom wind deflectors on the engine bars, $4.95 at your local hardware store, and about 10 zipties per side......
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a gorillapod

that works great for those, but it's never around when I need it. 10 seconds sometimes isn't enough, especially when you have to stop on slippery rock a couple feet from a deadly dropoff!

I didn't go to the hot springs... I stopped at the road and asked the people just coming out if they took a dip in the springs and how the road was.

They didn't get in the pool because of the stench and the road was washboarded in places, but otherwise ok. I asked if the smell was sulphur from the springs and the lady driver said it smelled more like urine and that the hot springs were just a warm trickle.

IT NEEDS TO RAIN!!! I remember thinking I'd gladly ride back to camp in mesh gear if it'd just rain!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #60
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hot Springs

When I was there, they were recovering from a flood that had left mud all over the hot spring area. So really all I got out of it was a really neat ride back in there that I was told, "I wouldn't do it on your Harley"......well since I didn't have a Harley, I did it anyway. I bottomed out hard a couple of times though.......looked for an oil trail, or spots when I stopped. It was ok. But I also had the feeling that I was being watched by someone......I was there alone, just me and my glock, lol.....so I packed up and left pretty quickly.