User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #61
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 229
So, did it rain?

I was planning to go to BBNP the weekend of 2/17-19 and left from Albuquerque on Wednesday 2/15 to Carlsbad Caverns NP. Got there late due to a weather delayed start. Camped in White City and then went to the visitor center in the morning of the 16th. Also visited Guadalupe Mountains NP that day. I was going to try for Big Bend, but the weather made it look like rain rolling in. I'm kind of a camping noob, so was not really interested in camping in the rain. I decided to head west instead. I got a hotel in El Paso and went toward Arizona on Friday to see some national monuments. Of course, instead of the spot showers I expected, it rained most of the day and I never got out of my rain gear.

After visiting Ft. Bowie National Memorial, I tried to make the 22 miles to Chiricahua National Monument and found that the first nine miles were dirt. Of course, after all day rains, it was mud.

I was a bit peeved. Broke the box on the right pretty good. About a half mile later, I fell on the left. No photo. Only kinda broke that box. I'm going to have to get some aluminum panniers so I'll have something durable.

I'm definitely going to check out BBNP and I'd like to camp there.

Thanks for the RR. I'm enjoying it!!
Cheers!

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #62
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Not that much!

Bummer on the double biff... good on ya' for takin' a pic! Welcome along! Please tell me those weren't Givi sidecases with the comination locking half lid? Are your tires Anakees? Don't guess it mattered what kinda' tire you had in that slop on that beast!

I'm just finishing Day 3 which was 2/16. I don't want to interrupt the flow, but I'll at least tell you what you already know... you shoulda' come on down to Big Bend!

Stay tuned and I'll do my darndest to make you wanna' head that way sooner than later! A teaser to help make you feel better... I too had to pick my bike up...

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 04:47 PM
Phattyre-Phready2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #63
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
I am always amazed that people who have never been to Big Bend finally realize that Texas has some incredible scenery. Not the stereotypical view most who have never set foot in this awesome place. It certainly changes one's perception of Texas. Of course, BB is only one place that is beautiful in Texas , there are many, many more places if you actually step away from your computer and explore this place. And leave your limited views at home.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #64
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Possible Unmanned Border Crossing location

I mentioned in the previous post that I hadn't seen any signs of unmanned border crossing. Then as I'm writing this, I look closely at this picture and realize this is probably it!

When I passed it coming in, I remember thinking it was just another caleche pit... and didn't take a picture. We have those everywhere around Lubbock. It was concealed by the little mound coming back, but I could see lots of dust being stirred up, so I got my camera ready.

It's just across from Boquillas, Mexico so this must be it?

There are a few sets of twisties... but at 45mph, they're boring.

Back to the swatch of green... in this drought, even the desert plants that have evolved over eons to survive in harsh, dry climates are dying. I noticed this goldish, brown color everywhere coming down and thought it might be poisoned... lots of ranchers are spraying the mesquite, then 'pushing' them into large piles. It looks strange sometimes... green mesquite on one side and gold on the other. No poison here makes wonder?

Approaching the tunnel.

I hope they don't have an earthquake while I'm stopped here... not even a tiny tremor!

Some nice 80 mph sweepers in a strictly enforced 45mph zone.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #65
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattyre-Phready2 View Post
Bummer on the double biff... good on ya' for takin' a pic! Welcome along! Please tell me those weren't Givi sidecases with the comination locking half lid? Are your tires Anakees? Don't guess it mattered what kinda' tire you had in that slop on that beast!

I'm just finishing Day 3 which was 2/16. I don't want to interrupt the flow, but I'll at least tell you what you already know... you shoulda' come on down to Big Bend!

Stay tuned and I'll do my darndest to make you wanna' head that way sooner than later! A teaser to help make you feel better... I too had to pick my bike up...
The cases are Hepko Becker Journey cases. Came standard with the Ulysses.

The tires are Pirelli Angel sport touring tires. I had no intention of going off road. When I discovered the dirt going the last mile or so into Ft. Bowie, it wasn't too bad. I asked the girl at the visitor center and she said that the direct route to the next monument was over dirt, but that it was a good road. I trusted her and went for it. The first half was kind of nice, hard packed, a bit rocky, not quite gravel. Once I got out of the hills and into the flat, that's where the drama happened.

Sorry to hear you also had a fall. Look forward to reading about it. I'd like to try again on BBNP, and hopefully before the weather turns too warm as that area can be a bit overwhelming in summer.

Enjoying the report!

My Spotwalla
Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #66
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh It's a whole nuther country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
I am always amazed that people who have never been to Big Bend finally realize that Texas has some incredible scenery. Not the stereotypical view most who have never set foot in this awesome place. It certainly changes one's perception of Texas. Of course, BB is only one place that is beautiful in Texas , there are many, many more places if you actually step away from your computer and explore this place. And leave your limited views at home.

Are you talkin' to me!? I said... are you talkin' to me!!??!! (in my best DeNiro voice)

Just because I thoroughly research my destinations online and have single-track on the brain doesn't mean I have limited views!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #67
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No wonder it crunched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
The cases are Hepko Becker Journey cases. Came standard with the Ulysses.

The tires are Pirelli Angel sport touring tires. I had no intention of going off road. When I discovered the dirt going the last mile or so into Ft. Bowie, it wasn't too bad. I asked the girl at the visitor center and she said that the direct route to the next monument was over dirt, but that it was a good road. I trusted her and went for it. The first half was kind of nice, hard packed, a bit rocky, not quite gravel. Once I got out of the hills and into the flat, that's where the drama happened.

Sorry to hear you also had a fall. Look forward to reading about it. I'd like to try again on BBNP, and hopefully before the weather turns too warm as that area can be a bit overwhelming in summer.

Enjoying the report!

Glad you like! I'm kinda' sneaky... I didn't fall... just blame it on the wind. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

If you're looking for aluminum panniers, my buddy bought 3 Happy Trails and they're built to take a beating... take a hard fall on one, just hammer it out. They're a little pricey, but will last forever.

Speaking of hard falls, I was looking closely at your pic... it looks like your front wheel stuck and the bike did a sideways endo, landing mostly on the sidecase. The sidecase may have saved you a bent rim? Glad it didn't hurt the Ully and you were able to ride away!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #68
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
I was speaking in general about people who have never experienced the real Texas. Not directed towards you. Great report. Enjoy.
The remote border crossing at Boquillas will be opened April 15th, so they told me. Will be great to be able to go over there again.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #69
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boquillas border crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
I was speaking in general about people who have never experienced the real Texas. Not directed towards you. Great report. Enjoy.
The remote border crossing at Boquillas will be opened April 15th, so they told me. Will be great to be able to go over there again.
It's all good... maybe I should've let the coffee kick in before replying?

Most people don't realize what we have because much of it is plain and boring and it's so big. I'm a fan of iDave's rr's, but everytime he heads west and back, he scoots right across the Texas panhandle on I40, running from thunderstorms. In his latest, he stops at Cadillac Ranch and posts 20 pics of cars buried nose down and sticking out at an angle (not even sure they're all Caddies) with spray paint graffiti on top of graffiti. Sorry Dave, but that's not what Texas is about at all! Instead of staying in Motel 6 in Amarillo all those times, he shoulda' went 20 miles south to Palo Duro Canyon... the hidden gem in the panhandle of Texas!

Thanks for the crossing info. Have you heard how that'll work? I wish we still lived in a world where you could just give the old Boquillian a couple bucks to row you across!!! Prolly coulda' got a sckorpion for a peso over there?

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 07:24 AM
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #70
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Cadillac Ranch

Come on now Phread,

You'll never convince me that any fellow that has his bike done up like a WWII aircraft .......... wouldn't appreciate a bunch of Caddies with graffiti all over them. Sorta' the same thing, huh?

Just let me know, I'll meet you at "The Ranch" with some spray paint. P51 Fleetwood? Sorta has a nice sound to it huh?
Catch my drift?
Know what I mean?
See what I'm saying?
Picking up what I'm putting down?
Smell what I stepped in?

Just let me know which colors you want me to bring.

Enjoying the report.
Even down to the owls and sckorpions!
Thank you sir for helping providing my daily dose of escapism!

BTW +1 on Palo Duro.

Ride safe (i.e. not like Ghost Rider)

Rob
Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #71
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Balanced Rock

Another place I thought I might get to while I was planning is 'Balanced Rock', the most photographed rock formation in BBNP. I found that fact surprising, since it's 7 miles in on Grapevine road, another 'high clearance' backroad. When I get there, it's really starting to feel like it's gonna' rain. It doesn't really look or smell like rain, but I decide against 14 miles of washboarded dirt road... I saw a good postcard of the Balanced Rock I'll pick up at the visitor center.

I've passed a well used pulloff on Maverick Highway a couple times, but the views were plain, so I didn't stop. The last time, I noticed some footpaths leading up a small rise. This time, I stop to check it out. Not bad from the road, but does it merit a pullout?

I climb the small rise and find this at the top!

Just sitting out in the desert...

Near Croton Springs... this is the view to the south if you camp there. It's free, but you're REQUIRED to 'cathole' your feces. Some of the NP rules should just be left to common sense! Panther Junction is three miles up the road with flushers... nuff said about that.

l

It may be time to find me a lady friend? I keep seeing breasts with prominent nips in many of my pics!?? WTF... Phread is an assman!

Is it just me? If the right side's the bottom, it's a stargazer! If the right side is the top, it's a silicone job gone bad!

Now it's beginning to look and smell llike rain. The 'feel' I referred to has really become strong. I became sensitive to this 'feel' growing up with barnyard animals. Horses and hogs will excitedly circle their enclosures, snorting and farting... oftentimes with hardly a cloud in the sky! Then later that day... WHAM... usually accompanied by an electrical show!

I allow the wild animal in me to escape... I break wind loudly, look at the clouds and scream defiantly, "bring it, biatch!!!" Within seconds, a lightning flash followed almost immediately by a thunderclap! Wow... It feels like this whole place is waiting... hoping... BEGGING FOR RAIN!!! I feel like kicking up my heels and farting again! So I do!

It begins to sprinkle, so I tuck the camera away and decide to heck with the speed limit... at least until the road starts to get wet. I can use 'no raingear' as an excuse if I get pulled over.

I admit it... I played Johnny Speed Racer on RMSD! It was a blast... I'd already ridden it several times and knew the course well. Didn't see a soul the entire way back to CwCG! It sprinkled a couple times, but the road stayed dry. Maybe the Anakee is a little better in spirited runs... it felt like Jessie was on rails throughout hard leans, where the Shinko might get a tiny bit squirmy.

I get back to camp, take my gear off and here it comes! I crawl in the tent and by the time I finish putting the day's pics in the netbook, the rain has stopped. Not enough to help with the drought, but it sure made it smell good. Nothing like the smell of wild sage just after a spring rain!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #72
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just sayin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Come on now Phread,

You'll never convince me that any fellow that has his bike done up like a WWII aircraft .......... wouldn't appreciate a bunch of Caddies with graffiti all over them. Sorta' the same thing, huh?

Just let me know, I'll meet you at "The Ranch" with some spray paint. P51 Fleetwood? Sorta has a nice sound to it huh?
Catch my drift?
Know what I mean?
See what I'm saying?
Picking up what I'm putting down?
Smell what I stepped in?

Just let me know which colors you want me to bring.

Enjoying the report.
Even down to the owls and sckorpions!
Thank you sir for helping providing my daily dose of escapism!

BTW +1 on Palo Duro.

Rob
I heard dat! Bring some poser pink!

Honestly, the only adventure I can foresee at Cadillac Ranch is you might get overspray on your telephoto lens!

I don't mean to put down iDave or Cadillac Ranch. It's just that after wishing he'd spend a little time in Texas (ever since 'trippin' the southwest' 3 years ago) instead of super slabbing the narrowest point each time. He finally does a post from the Lone Star state... from Cadillac Ranch.

He even mentions plans to stop at one with Volkswagens next time he's in Texas! Help me out here, FotoTex!

I hope you still enjoy after the latest post? On top of owls and sckorpions, I mention teats and flatulence... I fear I may've gassed the collective in an attempt to lighten the mood!?? (a true account... thunderstorms do bring out the wild animal in me... although usually not to that extreme)

Hang in there, fellow ADVers... I'll try to keep it positive!

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 07:54 AM
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #73
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Big Bend Maple Bean and Sausage Burrito Grande al Carbon

When returning from the Chisos Basin on day 2, I'd made a mental note to get a couple of rolling pics of some neat views with no pullouts. The Mule Ears illusion isn't as noticeable from this angle.

I also need to photo doc for my son that the roads really weren't wet while I was 'dancin' with the Ross. The Ross Maxwell SD swings east a bit and is probably what kept me from getting wet? See the dark clouds in the above pic... to the right of that giant nipp... sorry, I'm not going there anymore! Got a PM that that's not at all funny! Sorry about that, pentUp... but it really does look like one from the other direction!

I'm afraid I missed several rolling shots like this that have no pulloff. I had a bunch of 'sky with the tip of some rock' that I deleted. Hard to take good no look left handed shots when you're pretending to be racing in the Isle of Mann TT!

So... after I wait out the afternoon shower in the tent, I begin supper. Fried onion and taters with german sausage and baked beans.

I grew up on a farm near Maple, Texas... population about 50 and I never did see where they cured all the beans and bacon and stuff you see at ALL the stores, even Wally World 600 miles away in Arkansas!

This will gross out my daughter in law, k8E... if it has animal parts of any form or fashion, it has to be BURNED almost before she'll touch it. The sausage was still slightly frozen when I put it over the coals. It started threatening rain, so I get everything possible gathered up and stashed in dry places. As soon as the taters are done, I fill my plate... just in time, cause here it comes again! With small hail this time! I grab my Captain Pepper and hop in the tent to eat. I'd have been embarrassed if I'd prepared this for anyone else... the taters and onions were a little crunchy and the beans were cool by the time I started eating. I'll just say the sausage was just the way I like my steak... pink and barely warm in the middle. I'm glad I chose this meal for tonight... if you had to, you could safely eat each course uncooked.

Even in it's not quite done state, supper hit the spot!? Something about the great outdoors just makes anything and everything better! In fact, when the rain let up, I grabbed a tortilla and stuffed it with the remaining sausage and beans (I'd left them over the coals under the inverted unused pot) and created a new flavor of burrito... the Big Bend Maple Beanie Weenie Burrito Grande al Carbon with soy sauce! Mui bueno!!!!

Buenos noches, amigos!

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 10:33 AM Reason: added some stuff to the name of burrito
Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #74
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattyre-Phready2 View Post
Speaking of hard falls, I was looking closely at your pic... it looks like your front wheel stuck and the bike did a sideways endo, landing mostly on the sidecase. The sidecase may have saved you a bent rim? Glad it didn't hurt the Ully and you were able to ride away!
Well, my front wheel did stick, but rather than endo, it whipped around to my left. I think in my haste to hold on, I grabbed a handful of throttle, too! It dumped me on my behind and as it laid over, it tore that box off from the bottom upwards.

Quote:
Hey, now! Let's be nice! I was doing the best I could given the conditions. And as I've been saying since then, "That was where the adventure was!"

My Spotwalla
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #75
Phattyre-Phready2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
Well, my front wheel did stick, but rather than endo, it whipped around to my left. I think in my haste to hold on, I grabbed a handful of throttle, too! It dumped me on my behind and as it laid over, it tore that box off from the bottom upwards.

Hey, now! Let's be nice! I was doing the best I could given the conditions. And as I've been saying since then, "That was where the adventure was!"
I know exactly what you mean with the
Biffs in the mud happen so fast, even at slow speeds! That's why I bragged on you for the picture. You can see what happened with a pic and learn from the mistakes... if any. This time, the mistake was relying on bad info... not much you can do but grin and bear it! I'd say you did a fine job of that!

RoadDamage surely means no harm... just looking for some grins! Judging by his ADV name, I'd guess it may also be a case of 'misery loves company'?

Phattyre-Phready2 screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 07:44 PM