User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Jesse Bags mount picture on a R80 G/S or ST

I am looking the bag "off" mounting pictures for an R80 g/s or ST.

Anyone has the picture, please post.

Thanks,

SIG

sigpe57 screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 01:14 PM
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,900
I saw a pic once of a custom GS mount that went behind the muffler for the left side using Jesse bags like I have on my Funduro. So hopefully someone will chime in with some pics. (I wasn't smart enough to save it.)

I eventually want to fab a similar bracket to use my Jesse bags on both bikes. In my case, the left bag has a hollow cutout on the back side to accomodate the F650 muffler and still mount the cases symmetrically. The hollow part matches the R80 ST muffler closely enough. I just need to design and fab a mount bracket that goes behind the ST exhaust like the pic I saw in order to tuck that left case in close enough.

Mounting equal sized cases symmetrically is a challenge unless you hang the right side way out as far as if there were a muffler over there.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,519
IIRC Bgoodsoil had a pair of Jesse's (older style) on his G/S a long time. I think he could find a picture in one of his threads.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,329
I'm afraid I don't have any pics showing the mounts. Only with the boxes on.

The mounts themselves were exceedingly goofy in design. They both clamped AROUND the subframe tubes as well as using the existing turn singal mounts as a structural attachment point. Seriously weird and not worth copying. The right side had a rectangular hoop with two little mushroom-head studs on the bottom and single threaded hole up top. You inserted a single bolt through the wall of the pannier (with no backing plate or anything) to attach it to the mount. Same design on the left side except there was a single square tube running below and inboard of the muffler with the two little mushroom-head studs and a single strut above the muffler with a threaded hole on the end of it. Once again a single bolt held the boxes on. The single bolt had only a small washer under it to keep from pulling through the light gauge aluminum wall of the box. Seriously, whatever fucked up cobbled together contraption you come up with would be better.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,519
After having Jesse's on my last R100GS I'm done with them. Had several small quality issues with the mounts and little pieces for the panniers themselves. Getting replacement parts from Jesse was just slightly easier than finding a pink unicorn.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 01:35 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'm afraid I don't have any pics showing the mounts. Only with the boxes on.

The mounts themselves were exceedingly goofy in design. They both clamped AROUND the subframe tubes as well as using the existing turn singal mounts as a structural attachment point. Seriously weird and not worth copying. The right side had a rectangular hoop with two little mushroom-head studs on the bottom and single threaded hole up top. You inserted a single bolt through the wall of the pannier (with no backing plate or anything) to attach it to the mount. Same design on the left side except there was a single square tube running below and inboard of the muffler with the two little mushroom-head studs and a single strut above the muffler with a threaded hole on the end of it. Once again a single bolt held the boxes on. The single bolt had only a small washer under it to keep from pulling through the light gauge aluminum wall of the box. Seriously, whatever fucked up cobbled together contraption you come up with would be better.

You might have what I'm looking for. I saved my R80 G/S Jesse Bag for my R80ST. Somehow it just won't fit my R80ST. The subframe mount is off about 0.5cm. I will take some pictures. Maybe you can tell me what's wrong with it. It might be the muffler was bent due to PO's bike drop. The mounting holes on a G/S is also different than a ST.

SIG
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57 View Post
The subframe mount is off about 0.5cm. I will take some pictures. Maybe you can tell me what's wrong with it. It might be the muffler was bent due to PO's bike drop. The mounting holes on a G/S is also different than a ST.

SIG
As I recall, mine was off about that much. Al Jesse just told me to stack some washers under it and bolt it on to make it line up. Awesome workmanship. "Hmmmm, what's a good solid attachment point we can use to carry luggage? Oh I know... TURN SIGNAL MOUNTS!!"

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
sigpe57 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
As I recall, mine was off about that much. Al Jesse just told me to stack some washers under it and bolt it on to make it line up. Awesome workmanship. "Hmmmm, what's a good solid attachment point we can use to carry luggage? Oh I know... TURN SIGNAL MOUNTS!!"
Thanks, I will give a try. You actually talked to Al Jesse? That was probably long time ago. They don't even have a telephone anymore. We can only call their distributor.

SIG
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,889
Pm Bgoodsoil. He made his own racks.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221