Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #61
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Skierd---don't buy a new tire unless you just want to---------I got a real good used dualsport tire here at the house and we can put it on here. It looks in good shape and best of all....................drum roll please......................

It's free !!!!

BigDog
But.... is it a 17" tire? Dave went to the dark side & converted his perfectly good R to a demented X.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #62
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Good stuf .
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #63
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Soaking wet in Shelbyville, KY. Cell phone got wet, using the hotel's computer until my replacement device comes tomorrow afternoon maybe.

Fuck Aerostich, my new-to-me Roadcrafter is soaked through and through. Worked ok for about an hour, then the crotch leaked. Then everything else leaked. All the pockets, all of the zippers, everything. By the time I realized it was soaking through, it was too late to save my droidx. I was completely soaked underneath. I might as well have not been wearing anything over my street clothes. Looks like I need to get a rain suit tomorrow. Whats the point of making something out of gore-tex backed fabric if you're not going to have zippers or seams that hold the water out? Its a shame because it otherwise fits and feels great. Its been warm when dry on the cold nights crossing WV and good enough in the horrid winds throughout today. But I'm soaked and so f'ing pissed at it.

Tomorrow... debating on getting a new front tire from Derby Cycles here in town. Waiting for my new phone to show up. Waiting for my gear to dry out. Laundry.

At least there's a waffle house across the street.
I don't trust gore tex with any wind.. just get a good set of rain over jacket & pants.. they're not that much, & they fold up nicely. I've ridden with those for hours & they keep you dry.

The distances you're going, and the time, and the locale are going to make a rain suit mandatory. My pants have a strap that goes under the boot to keep it from riding up. It velcros tight to the sides of the boot. Mine is a nelson rigg.. it was ~ $70 if i remember.

Here's one at moto superstore for $50.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Rainsuit.aspx

Another nice benefit is it provides an extra layer when in chillier weather. I put on both pants & jacket (and every other layer i had!) when i rode in yellowstone a few years back.

Sorry about your equipt failure.. it sucks when you spend good money for something & it doesn't work like it's supposed to.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #64
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
But.... is it a 17" tire? Dave went to the dark side & converted his perfectly good R to a demented X.
Woops--------forgot about that---thanks rydnseek !!
I don't have any tires to fit an X.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #65
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Dave,

At the risk of sounding like an asshat, it makes me glad that I took your advice and bought the Klim Traverse gear last year before my Canada trip.

Maybe a stop in Rigby is in your future?

Quote:
Soaking wet in Shelbyville, KY. Cell phone got wet, using the hotel's computer until my replacement device comes tomorrow afternoon maybe.

Fuck Aerostich, my new-to-me Roadcrafter is soaked through and through. Worked ok for about an hour, then the crotch leaked. Then everything else leaked. All the pockets, all of the zippers, everything. By the time I realized it was soaking through, it was too late to save my droidx. I was completely soaked underneath. I might as well have not been wearing anything over my street clothes. Looks like I need to get a rain suit tomorrow. Whats the point of making something out of gore-tex backed fabric if you're not going to have zippers or seams that hold the water out? Its a shame because it otherwise fits and feels great. Its been warm when dry on the cold nights crossing WV and good enough in the horrid winds throughout today. But I'm soaked and so f'ing pissed at it.

Tomorrow... debating on getting a new front tire from Derby Cycles here in town. Waiting for my new phone to show up. Waiting for my gear to dry out. Laundry.

At least there's a waffle house across the street.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #66
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Save your money and buy a "STEARNS" rain suit (jacket and pants) from Wal-Mart. Whole set only costs about $20.

Best performing rain gear I've ever had.....especially for the money! I have lived through all-day heavy rains with my Stearns, and never got wet. Good stuff, Maynard.

Waffle House coffee is good. You're sitting pretty.

It could be worse. You could be pinned down in a tiny tent for three days, in heavy snow, freezing rain, and single digit temps.....all alone, no cell service, & no cavalry coming.....smack dab on the other side of nowhere. But eh...what do I know?

HF

Words of wisdom from the Striking Viking: Real adventure begins when things stop going as planned
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #67
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Dayum Dave!

I feel like shit. you know that I've been comfy in that suit in the cold (yes single digits) and wet & I mentioned that all 'Stitches leak in the crotch, but I NEVER got that wet in Papa Smurf. We even talked about my long wet ride home from Mobile, Alabama, a few months ago. It never ever got wet enough to soak the pockets. All I can think is that the suit needs another shot of the waterproofer stuff. In hindsight, it never got rain tested after the last wash and waterproofing job. (For those just reading this, yes, this 'Stitch has been cleaned and re-waterproofed successfully before.) Now I wish I simply gave you the full bottle, so my bad.

Hit a sporting goods store, pick up a bottle, and Let me know what I owe you for it.

Sorry!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #68
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Deja vu

David,

I did something very similar back when I was your age trying to figure out what I wanted to do in life. So put everything in storage and headed up to McKinley Park outside of Denali and tended bar for the summer. The grey haired cruise tourists would arrive by train in the droves and order everything under the sun like they haven't eaten for days.

I recall after arriving I couldn't sleep because of the 24hr light thing, so found a roll of black plastic and stabled over all the windows. Problem solved. When I wasn't working I spent my days wandering around the Denali range with a backpack. Moose will be your friends. Over the coarse of working the 4 months I believe I only saw Denali 4 or 5 times due to cloud cover.

Lots of great memories from an adventure like this and you're going to have a blast. Would be funny if you ended up working the exact same bar.

Best of luck in your trip, I'll be following your trip....

cheers,

dvwalker
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #69
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
(For those just reading this, yes, this 'Stitch has been cleaned and re-waterproofed successfully before.)
Yeah, that was my thought as a (former) Roadcrafter wearer. Kept me dry enough, never even leaked in the crotch though I was riding a bike with a bit of a windshield

Don't give up on the suit yet skierd, it's good gear, most of the time. If you have a chance like the PO sez, get some "Durable Water Repellent" DWR made for gore-tex, sometimes it has to be heat activated in a dryer...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #70
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,690

This has revitalized my BMG stuff

yet I still keep a Zip lock sandwich bag for my phone
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #71
Wreckchecker

Bass Pro store coming up

Mickey's Nikwax is probably the same as the Aerostitch recommended "Granger's 2 in 1 Cleans Waterproofs", shown here: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-s...c-fabrics.html This stuff is the bottle you saw and is what I used on that blue suit.

The intertubes show that Bass Pro Shops has a waterproofer that doesn't need a dryer to activate and seems to get good reviews. It's called "Bass Pro Shops® Waterproofing with PTEF" and a 22 oz bottle is $11.99. They probably have other stuff as well.

If you are waking in Shelbyville, there is a Bass Pro Shops 35 miles in front of you. Stay westbound on I-64 into the heart of Louisville, then I-65 north. It's the "Lewis and Clark Parkway 31" exit which should be the 3rd one and the store is to the northwest of the exit.

And yes, I'd zip lock the phone and wallet till proven otherwise. There's a Kroger grocery a couple of blocks west of the Bass Pro.

Wreckchecker screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 05:59 AM
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #72
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Bass Pro it is then. Bob, no worries there's not much you can do about a gore-tex suit wetting through. Sometimes the washes help, sometimes they don't. I've got a spray on type that I know works well enough, and a $20 rain suit still is in the cards. Other than the wetness, the suit is great. And yeah... baggies for the phone from now on.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #73
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Bass Pro it is then. Bob, no worries there's not much you can do about a gore-tex suit wetting through. Sometimes the washes help, sometimes they don't. I've got a spray on type that I know works well enough, and a $20 rain suit still is in the cards. Other than the wetness, the suit is great. And yeah... baggies for the phone from now on.
Amazing what a good nights sleep does for ones state of mind. You sound like you're on the mend, and reasy to tackle what comes your way
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #74
Wreckchecker

Quote:
+1 on your sounding more upbeat & thanks for not having hard feelings. It hit me that the variable between this cleaning and previous cleanings is that I'm using a different washing machine. I wonder if this machine dilutes the waterproofer more, goes through more of a rinse, earlier rinse, or something else.

As for a note from the home front, the first real sign of Spring has now hit. Just like the swallows flying back to San Juan Capistrano, I-95 is suddenly a steady flow of Harleys on trailers, headed to Daytona for Trailer Week. Hope this bodes well for improving weather on your path.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #75
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,721
Skeird made it to my house

Skeird made it to my house tonight---------we did a quick oil change --he had a great ride today in some good "dry" weather.

Me and him are going to "meander" Southwest tomorrow-------probably camp in the Shawnee National forest in Southern Illinois tomorrow night----and go who knows where---and end up who knows where

His tires are looking pretty thin---but it's all he's got right now.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote