ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
Mexico & central america solo 2012

Getting about time to head out! I am heading south and plan to ride six to eight weeks. I may make it to Panama, I may not! That is the plan. I have not decided where I am going to cross into Mexico or where I might cross into Guatemala. I do want to at least ride Guatemala and Belize in addition to Mexico. Who knows from there?

Here is the link to my SPOT:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...HniLtAIdNJx2vv

I will be carrying a Laptop on this ride and plan on posting from the road.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer
 
NAVIGATOR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
Oddometer: 1,680
Looking forward to this trip, have a safe one and enjoy, nothing better than to have an open intinerary.
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
I will be riding the KLR again on this trip. I could ride the 990ADV or the R1100GS, but I chose the KLR because it is lighter and easier to get into lobbies, hotel rooms etc. It is also a low dollar moto that is dependable, more than adequate for the ride and if in the unlikely event it was stolen or taken from me, it would not be a huge loss!

It has been massaged a bit since the 6.700 mile ride to Baja, MX last Nov/Dec. Here is a link to that ride:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750875

At over 75,000 miles, it got new rings and valve stem seals.





New Heidenau K60 Scout tires.



New front fork seals and the Sasquatch Stage 2 rear shock was rebuilt.



And finally, I sprayed some paint over the accumulated bugs and dirt!



Plus the regular maintenance stuff and new brake pads.

I was asked the other day when I was leaving. I told them that I guess I would know the day when it got here. It sure is nice not to be forced to make plans! However, it will be before next weekend. Tracy's new baby will be two weeks old by then!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Wolverine1305
The english is hard
 
Wolverine1305's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Toluca, México State
Oddometer: 169
Great trip

Have a nice trip through México and to share pictures.
My eyes are on your ride report
__________________
The English language is hard to me
Wolverine1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
lukeman
Cool Hand
 
lukeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC
Oddometer: 436
Good luck man. The 'normal' way to do Belize and Guatemala would be from Chetumal, MX through Belize over to Guatemala. It gives you a chance to do the Yucatan which is has some decent beaches. Also it puts you right next to Tikal when you enter Guatemala which is ideal.

Cheers!
__________________
┌────────────────────────────────
2010 - DC to Gaspé, QC
2008 - DC to Panamá
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Getting about time to head out! I am heading south and plan to ride six to eight weeks. I may make it to Panama, I may not! That is the plan. I have not decided where I am going to cross into Mexico or where I might cross into Guatemala. I do want to at least ride Guatemala and Belize in addition to Mexico. Who knows from there?

Here is the link to my SPOT:
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...HniLtAIdNJx2vv

I will be carrying a Laptop on this ride and plan on posting from the road.

Buena suerte amigo, If you need anything in central part of Mexico (Michoacan, Jalisco, Colima or even Mexico D.F) do not hesitate to call. My phone dialing anywhere in Mexico is: 013511310818. Have fun and Ride Safe.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVIGATOR View Post
Looking forward to this trip, have a safe one and enjoy, nothing better than to have an open intinerary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1305 View Post
Have a nice trip through México and to share pictures.
My eyes are on your ride report

Thanks!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Good luck man. The 'normal' way to do Belize and Guatemala would be from Chetumal, MX through Belize over to Guatemala. It gives you a chance to do the Yucatan which is has some decent beaches. Also it puts you right next to Tikal when you enter Guatemala which is ideal.

Cheers!
I have been to the Yucatan before, but plan on visting again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abogado68 View Post
Buena suerte amigo, If you need anything in central part of Mexico (Michoacan, Jalisco, Colima or even Mexico D.F) do not hesitate to call. My phone dialing anywhere in Mexico is: 013511310818. Have fun and Ride Safe.
Thanks!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...
 
SoosCreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle Ish
Oddometer: 120
Be following you once again!

Donnie -

I have followed your last 3 or 4 trips starting with the Mexico trip you did last year with your wife.

I will be heading down to Baja end of March and then over and up through Copper Canyon if it all works out.

Always enjoy your photos and approach to travel. Good luck on this trip.

Find me some more places to go!
__________________
__________________
2006 BMW 1200GS
2006 Honda ST1300

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoosCreek View Post
Donnie -

I have followed your last 3 or 4 trips starting with the Mexico trip you did last year with your wife.

I will be heading down to Baja end of March and then over and up through Copper Canyon if it all works out.

Always enjoy your photos and approach to travel. Good luck on this trip.

Find me some more places to go!

I will do my best! Send me a link to your RR!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
OK! I am picking a date! Wednesday, Feb 26. Madison will be two weeks old.

Now I must decide where I am crossing into Mexico!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
pchGS
Mark
 
pchGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Oddometer: 97
Safe Travels!!! I'm in the same boat trying to lock down a date this week and the decision between the KLR and the KTM. It seems EVERYTIME I go to pick up something for the KTM it costs a fortune, while the KLR just sits in the corner diligently waiting for some attention....

The thoughts you shared along the lines of stolen or 'lost' are similar to the 'internal' discussions I've been having with myself.

My departure date was Wed but still waiting for some camping gear to come in so now that's pushed to Thurs.

Have a great trip! And congrats to the family on the new addition, she's a gem!!!
__________________
Ride Safe!
2006 BMW R1200RT
2006 KLR 688
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchGS View Post
Safe Travels!!! I'm in the same boat trying to lock down a date this week and the decision between the KLR and the KTM. It seems EVERYTIME I go to pick up something for the KTM it costs a fortune, while the KLR just sits in the corner diligently waiting for some attention....

The thoughts you shared along the lines of stolen or 'lost' are similar to the 'internal' discussions I've been having with myself.

My departure date was Wed but still waiting for some camping gear to come in so now that's pushed to Thurs.

Have a great trip! And congrats to the family on the new addition, she's a gem!!!

Thanks! Maybe we will cross paths some where!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
SR
Studly Adventurer
 
SR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Western, Mexico
Oddometer: 980
Subscribed

Subscribed!

SR screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 06:36 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #15
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,139
I have finally made a few more plans! Secondary roads to Eagle Pass, TX, Libre roads to the Southwest corner of Mexico, trying to use some roads Sheryl and I have not ridden. I have looked at Guatemala and Belize a bit on the map. I will at a minimum ride those plus San Salvador. I will decide once I get to San Salvador which way to go from there. Temp should be low 60s here Wednesday with possible thunder showers.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014