Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
bluechip68
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wow. Great report! My buddy I and did Copper Canyon Mexico 4 years ago and have been searching for a place to go in the states. I think this is it! Looks incredible. We ride xr 650 L's. Do you think that setup would work out in Moab? Also, what do you think is a reasonable amount of time for the trip? 4-5 days? Do you know if these trails are marked out in GPS or are just plain old maps the way to go?

Thanks buddy and freaking great report!!
bluechip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #32
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
Today was scheduled to be my last riding day. My wife was flying to LA

Getting out I take a look at my rear hub:

I could see the studs were sheared, so there was no point in trying to mount the spare tire. Getting back in my vehicle I called AAA to arrange a tow. This meant I would now lose several days pay, plus the cost of the repairs. On the plus side, I would get a few more days of Colorado riding. After pondering this for a few minutes I came to the conclusion…two thumbs up!!!
Sure, whatever you say, the truck broke down. "Last day riding", "wife flying to LA", this broken truck sure sounds like some kind of Sabotage to keep you riding a few more days. The "two thumbs up!!!" really gave it away. I like your devious nature
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #33
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,327
I was thinking the same thing, the wife is already gone so the truck has a mechanical failure in the best possible way. Lucky bugger. Great pics, thanks for taking the time to post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
break down

That's hilarious.

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Just how hard did RutRunner have to whack those wheel studs to break them off like that?

Funny how a mind in need of a little more "throttle therapy" works, isn't it?

Enjoyed the RRRR ...... Rut Runner Ride Report!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #35
scarter435
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Really nice RR. Next time post this in real time; there are a lot of AdvRider readers out here and we'd be happy to help you if you have any more issues.
scarter435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Thanks for all the comments. I still have a few more pictures to post.

I can't complain about the breakdown, the outcome could have been alot worse!

In regards to planning a trip to southeast Utah, there are many resources. I use a combination of 4wd & MTB guidebooks, recreational topo maps, National Park brochures (most parks have 4wd backroads), and online resources such as ADVrider (you can't beat the advice of a local). The BLM now has online maps of the all designated routes, including singletrack. The BLM site does not have GPS routes, unfortunately.

I think the area offers huge potential, no matter what your interest- daytripping, motel to motel, or campsite to campsite riding.

Mike
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Thumbs down

About 35-40 years ago I was headed out to the Mojave desert to race D37 and the back of my truck started to buck. I got it shut down looked for the damage.

I only had one lug bolt left.

I pulled the axle and thumbed a ride to town. I had to wait for the parts place to open and got the studs.

A gas station next door let me pound the studs in and out. Another thumbed ride got me back to the truck. After putting the axle back in, I headed for the race. I got there too late to race.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #38
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

RR cont'd Bangs Canyon

Hoping the rain had dried up from Saturday I rode south out of town to the Bangs Canyon recreation area. There’s a variety of trails here including the singletrack Butterknife trail (said to be extreme), rocky ATV trails and the Billings and Tabeguache jeep trails. I meandered around awhile. I bypassed the Butter knife trail as I didn’t want to chance it alone. The forecast was for snow all day, and I didn’t want to get stuck out there alone in that! The precipitation held off and I did the first part of the Tabeguache. As I climbed higher in altitude the rear wheel started losing traction in the damp clay. I had to turn back at that point. This is definitely an area I want to come back to.

To be cont'd
Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #39
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Great RR and pic's, I love that area.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #40
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
RR,
Well, you've done it now.... . An April ride around the Grand Canyon has just been extended to 5 more days ... so Utah is now added on to the vacation schedule.

If I am that close to getting a taste of Utah, why not tell the boss...."Oh, by the way....I will be away an extra week !"

Thanks for the pics and story, again...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #41
mcmarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Thumb great pics a report

Wow, I live here, will you tour me around next time you come to moab??

You really know how to get the max fun in on your travels. So nice to see familiar places, there is so much great riding out here, you can never do it all, no mater how much time you have. Good job and thanks for the post.

Current flock: GS1100, R1150R, KTM450MXC, G650GS. Flown away: GSPD, yam 250 & 450WR
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #42
WaynoJ
Oldie but goodie!

Oddometer: 10
Fantastic report!

Great ride report, buddy! I spent 4 years in Utah and spent a lot of time in the Moab area (being retired), but didn't have a bike at the time. I'll have to get back down there on my G650GS and see what it can do.

'12 BMW G650GS (Red), '07 Piaggio X9 500 SuperScoot

WaynoJ screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 12:48 AM
WaynoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #43
Rut Runner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last day

These are a few pics from the last day. I waited til now as my Photobucket account was near its limit for March.

My car was supposed to be ready for early afternoon, so not wanting to go too far I headed west behind the airport. Lots of singletrack in the hills.

The singletrack goes up this ridge and down another near the very top. I didn't try it.

Around 1:00pm I got the call that my vehicle was ready. After loading up I made record time on the trip back. The accident with the car wheel was the only mishap on the whole trip. The bike was troublefree. The only incident was in the hotel parking lot when I forgot to take the padlock off the rear disk. When I tried to ride away I ended up flat on my stomach with the bike beside me-not a very cool way to exit!

I’d like to thank the community here for all the planning help and support, especially Ruxton Noble (UtahExplorer), who has always taken the time to give me detailed information.

Until next year…
Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #44
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
WOW bloody WOW...
What a kool place to ride
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #45
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
You made a really good description of the site, and best pictures. The white rim trail is the one I liked more.