User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

Oddometer: 721
the lowly bsa victor

I try to do searches to learn more about the BSA victor but i think if you have one in your stable (or ever owned one) it shows up in every damn thread search.

That said I have a 1970 441 and I truly have a love/hate relationship with the bike. For example...after a complete rebuild (piston, valves, valve guides, gaskets, bearings) it still leaks oil.....frustrating but ill deal with it...yes i did read the oil tight section in the unit single bible....

but even though the bike has its issues, today while doing 30 foot roosts in the wet grass of my neighbors yard (he's not home) its still a hoot....I wonder how many of the folks on this forum still ride their bsa victors or b50/b25's....I know lots of you had them "back in the day" but how many of you still tinker and ride them....

I know lots of them were sold in the states but never seem to find any "riders"

and if you do have a rider.....sound off...lets hear about them...I know 22manyrides has a big single....anyone else?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/abdelhub
Abdelhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

the contraption...

Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
slipjoint
Engraver

Oddometer: 492
I have always enjoyed the looks of the victor - Beautiful - I know one guy in this area who races one - He's a very talented young guy - built his own stroker kit for his - rods everything! I have never owned one but have been tempted many times - A Triumph Cub - only 200 cc but classic killer looks -
slipjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
roverlad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
A guy nearby in Vancouver rides one as his only wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/441rider
roverlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,410
Do a youtube search for Cafe 441, he has loads of posts with his old beeza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da0bix2oCw8

I think he hangs out over on Britbike too.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,712
I'd love to take a 441 motor and custom build a dual sport with it as the power plant.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Do a youtube search for Cafe 441, he has loads of posts with his old beeza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da0bix2oCw8

I think he hangs out over on Britbike too.
I have bought gaskets from him in the past....I don't think he still makes them though....

He does the victor challenge..."how many times can you start a victor in one minute?"....I think he did it nine times.

Mike

Old 02-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
A friend of mine Harold Earls in Florida had a new 1969 and the head bolts stripped out from vibration.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,267
I have a 71 B50SS that has been on project status for a while - it's gonna run one of these days! One for sale on Portland CL this week too, so they pop up now and then.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

I have been hating this bike and then loving it over the last few years....Im finally coming to grips that it is a bar bike/town bike and thats about it.....no world travels on this fella....I do have a pazon ignition and a modern flat slide carb on it and she runs great.

One thing that really bugs me is the slip fit joint of the header into the head....after years of shaking the hole is no longer round and there are exhaust leaks causing backfires....I don't know whether there is some kind of exhaust putty or header wrap hose clamped on that will seal it.....other than that its a hoot.

Its the one motorcycle that literally feels like its coming apart as you go down the road...but the acceleration is fun for a 42 year old bike.....

Mike

Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,592
My first English bike was a 250 Starfire with a 441 stuffed into it. All I can say is, the 441 engine has a horribly under-engineered bottom end,,,,run it hard for a long time and you'll consistantly have to rebuild it.
I know the guy in the video above,,,,,he runs a Honda now.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Talking

Still ride my 1966 B44. It is a hoot to ride. These bikes are sweet handling bikes. Vibration...seems to vary between bikes. The cranks can be balanced. E & V Engineering can balance the crank.

My 66 came in boxes and had a rough life. But most of it was there. Seat & tank were MIA, but remnants of another 66 B44 in my misspent youth were donated. Fenders were gone, but plastic trials fenders fit/work just fine.

From a nice back road ride late last fall (like the day after Thanksgivng):

In 2008, attended the BSAOC International Rally held on the Isle of Man. The ride, a 70 B44 borrowed from a friend in Wales. Rode from central Wales to Liverpool, crossed over on the SteamRacket Ferry to Douglas, spent a week riding the island on the Victor. This picture is from the last ride up the back side of Snaefel on a goat trail. Really, we had to heard the goats out of the way on the ride! Can't say enough about how well I liked the B44 on this trip

Another B44 is taking shape SLOWLY in my garage. Need a ride to participate in vintage enduro's. You guessed it, a B44 in a 71 wet frame, Bul forks & wheels, mildly built engine for reliability. Looking forward to getting this one done.....of course time and inspiration is an issue.....
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdelhub View Post
Its the one motorcycle that literally feels like its coming apart as you go down the road...
Perfect description. I had a few of the B Series - Starfire, Shooting Star, Victor - and they were the roughest singles I've ever owned. The Victor made the Matchless feel as smooth as a BMW. There's not much you can really do about the exhaust as it has to be able to move a bit due to the vibration. We used to wrap the last inch or so in very thin copper sheet before inserting them in the head and get a tightish fit that would still allow for some movement.

I mentioned one of the threads on the B25 that the best thing you can do with one of these is to fit a low compression plate under the barrel gasket to take them back to about 8:1. As Steve G. said above, the bottom ends just can't handle the 9.5:1 standard compression. They run sweeter and last a lot longer at 8:1. You can make up a plate with some thin alloy sheet about 1/16" thick and it only takes about 30 mins to do a barrel-off overhaul on a B motor, so it's a quick thing to test whether you like the change. The jetting can stay as it is usually.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #14
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Talking

Unit B series vibration - Like the unit twins, the unit singles get a knock on vibration. But most unit singles, like unit twins are missing a small piece on most bikes....the infamous BSA "packing piece". Seriously, that is what BSA called it. Nothing more than a washer or two or three or more depending on the bike.

The engines have to be shimmed to fit the frame. If not, they shake, badly. Most unit singles and twins need at least one washer at the bottom motor mount, some require more. Front motor mounts as well, though this seems to be more inconsistent than the bottom mount as far as need. Unit singles also suffer the indiginity of front motor mounts not being shimmed to fit and the ears are actually bent.

If the engine fits the frame loose, you are in effect tightening a spring when you tighten the hardware. The engine will never actually be held tight.

Also head steady must be there and tight. If you are going to ride it, then upgrading the hardware and using hardened washers is ok...really it is.

My B44 is shimmed to fit front and bottom with upgraded hardware everywhere except the bottom stud. On the road, yes there is some tingle in the bars/pegs, but not uncomfortable. Actually, only slightly worse than the DR.

Bottom ends - B44's are pretty tough, B50's even more so. B25's though do have a reputation, mostly deserved. But most B25's can be improved with mostly the application of labor. It is all in the details.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

I just ordered a decompression plate from ccm In england. I'll see how that works.
Mike