Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,973
I have a 1970 441 Shooting Star. Low pipe, larger steel gas tank, otherwise identical.

I run Metzeler street tires on it and have a 46 tooth rear sprocket, which makes it a bit less intense for street riding.

Been offroad with it a couple of times, and was impressed with how well it handled even with the street tires and road gearing.
I've dragged a pair of extra wheels out of the parts bin so I can rig it with more dirt orieinted tires when I want to.

Mine has proven to be reasonably reliable over the years. It leaks a bit of oil from the little plate at the bottom of the crankcase with the mesh screen in it. Not real bad, but I do set a piece of plywood under there when it's parked long-term.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdelhub View Post
I have been hating this bike and then loving it over the last few years....Im finally coming to grips that it is a bar bike/town bike and thats about it.....no world travels on this fella....I do have a pazon ignition and a modern flat slide carb on it and she runs great.

One thing that really bugs me is the slip fit joint of the header into the head....after years of shaking the hole is no longer round and there are exhaust leaks causing backfires....I don't know whether there is some kind of exhaust putty or header wrap hose clamped on that will seal it.....other than that its a hoot.

Its the one motorcycle that literally feels like its coming apart as you go down the road...but the acceleration is fun for a 42 year old bike.....

Mike
I cured mine using some of that red silicone exhaust system sealant and a good quality finned aftermarket exhaust header clamp, pushed tight against the cylinder head and tightened while pulling the header outward.
The sealant squished out between the clamp and the cylinder head, with the whole mess under tension because of pulling out on the header while tightening the header clamp.
It fixed the backfiring, and seems to be holding up well.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

Oddometer: 719
just got my "de"compression plate from ccm in england.....look forward to putting her in.....i got the thinnest one so it shouldnt knock the power to far down....Its a quality piece of gear...glad I didnt try to make one myself...

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/abdelhub
Abdelhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
dirtydan
Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer: 250
Square Barrel Victor

The snow went off enough to get my Victor out. This was the (short) first ride of the year 2012. I would apoligize for the lousy pictures but the wife is sitting right here . So here is the Low Life Victor , First bike out of the garage.

This road just cleared out today.

Its a mix of parts. Suzuki SP forks. Norton rear fender, Ebay tank and paint (shagadelic)

Home built seat (nice effort) not the best .

It leaks everywhere. It wet sumps. The Monoblock will not idle but thats OK. It starts great.

When this snow melts I will need the side stand.

I hope to take it on a epic journey some day.

Dan
Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
dirtydan
Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer: 250
Later I almost hit the wive's car.

Some how I missed the canoe. It's going to be a great riding season.
Dan
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,361
Cool pics of the bike in the snow! I am glad to learn someone has a BSA thumper that will start!!!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

I'm really starting to trust this victor more.....a few strandings but nothing major....hope i didn't jinx myself....

take care out there....

Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 706
My first bike was a 1969 Victor 441 that I rebuilt as a Shooting Star. I took that bike on a 600 mile trip and my only "failure" was a taillight bulb that had suffered shaken bulby syndrome. Keep up on the maintenance and it will be very reliable.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
R85/8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I had the motocross version with the Ceriani forks.

I don't remember thinking it had a vibration problem, but then I didn't ride it on the road, and my other bike was a Norton Atlas... :)

The clutch used to be a bit "sticky" making it difficult to do smooth gearchanges under power. Fixed that by cutting the clutch pushrod in the middle and putting a ballbearing in. If you do this, cut enough off to allow for the ball, and also heat treat the ends after dimpling them with a sacrificial ball. The problem was caused by the mainshaft bowing and then the pushrod would bind.
R85/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #25
Super Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
My dad was a BSA dealer and way back in '74 he gave me a 441 for my 18th birthday. I remember being stranded on it a few times and I remember the permanent bruise on the inside of my knee from kicking it over.

One day I tried to jump a river crossing and didn't make it. As you can see by the photo, the forks on these 441's are weak, and the cheap oil tank couldn't even take the pressure of a skinny kids right thigh. I think I could have cleared the river if these bikes had a little more wheelbase.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #26
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

great picture!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
441 Victor

I am pretty sure they rode 441 Victems in that oldf 1960s movie, "Cycles South" before they blew one up and all bought brand new Kawasaki 120s in Albuquerque to be able to continue their trip to Mexico.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #28
Abdelhub OP
Blanco Trasho

while preparing a ride with buddies tomorrow i proceeded to set the valves and change the oil....easy stuff right....i set the exhaust then intake changed oil and rode off into the neighborhood....bike started spitting and stalled...pushed it home...apparently i didnt tighten down the tappet nut enough and it walked itself out and the pushrod jumped out of the the lifter....god damn....on a victor you have to pull the entire motor to get the valve cover off....pulled motor pulled off valve cover and reset rod in lifter....4 hours of hell....

british bikes punish you for shit you got away with on other bikes......

mike

Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #29
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,183
See this month's Cycle World for a column by Peter Egan on 441 Victims titled "$2 a cc"

One passed briefly though my hands many years ago. It was jumping out of 2nd gear, so I fixed it and sold it to my then housemate. Fun bike.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Victor52
Taciturn

Oddometer: 41
I've had several, and still have two. One in pieces.

Raced ARHMA for years and beat the ever loving crap out of it. I made one into a cafe bike.

They leak oil, they won't idle, they wet sump, have no brakes, clutches fade, and the wires melt, but they sure are fun.

Once you have the routine down, they should start first or second kick everytime. If they don't... something is wrong.

]
Victor52 is offline   Reply With Quote