Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #46
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
This is what everyone needs: a brother to fix the bike for them while they are gone. Ha. Man, I'm begining to think we should have bought a different bike. How's the tank looking now?
They just let anyone on military computers don't they.

So I think I have the tank licked at last. Here are some pictures and a few words.

The first thing I did was drain most of the gas out (I left maybe a gallon) and added a can of sea foam and shook the sh*t out of it and drained it out. When I took the petcocks off the filters where almost completely full of liner. When I drained the tank, large chunks of liner came out as well. I thought that since my massively powerful arms had shook all the loose stuff out my problems were solved so I put a gallon of good gas in it and went for a successful ride. I then filled the tank up and went for the worst ride of my life. It started out good then 30 miles from home the bike started cutting out and the rain started pouring. My inline filters where getting plugged and the bike wasn't getting any gas. I limped home and started this process.

The tank vent was really plugged up with rust so I broke everything out with this method. It is just some cable chucked into a drill. It worked amazingly well.

Then I pulled the petcocks out to find this. The first time I pulled these out it was much worse.

Then I took it to the car wash to get all the oil products. I think I may have got some water in my tank at this point. (Sarcasm)

Guess what came out at the car wash... Here's a clue there was lots of red flakes

Then I got some acid magic and some self tapping screws and did my best to give my tank shaken baby syndrome. I drained this through some shop rags to find this.

After filling these three rags up before I had half the acid out I just gave up and poured the rest back into the container with no filter. The container had a lot of liner in it...

Then I washed it out again but when I turned the hose on it shot into my friends garage who is graciously letting me use it. It got everything wet and I was getting more and more frustrated. I cleaned up the garage.

Then I managed to get the hose into the tank to wash the acid out.

And guess what came out... There was a lot of these little and big bastards

Then I rigged up my fancy goodwill hair dryer and let it dry out.

Here is Molly after she got into a couple cups of flower.

When it was dry and I had a flash light I looked inside and wasn't exactly thrilled. There was still a lot of tank liner left and I could see a couple of pieces that looked like they where chipping so I used the acid magic and screws again. Same results, a lot of tank liner came out but when everything was dried out there was still a lot of liner left and some looked like it was just holding on. I decided to up my game and went and got 2 gallons of regular muriatic acid. This stuff was nasty! Fumes, sizzling, and other fun. I also added in some 1/4 inch nuts with the screws. I shook this thing so hard I could barely move my arms the next day and I did it for about an hour and a half, shaking for 5 minutes and then letting it sit in different positions for fifteen minutes. I used my down time to mow my buddies yard and curse at the BMW gods for making such an amazing yet horrible liner.

As I said before this stuff was really nasty. I spilled a little onto the concrete floor and it started smoking, bubbling and hissing. Even with good ventilation it really stung my eyes if the fumes got to close. I had some PPE. I thought I looked like a cool Star Wars character. It was probably the just the fumes.

I did the garden hose thing again except this time it didn't go all over the garage. Guess what came out... At this point I had a long hard think about shooting the tank several times and even pulled my gun but I talked myself down. If you couldn't tell I was getting frustrated. I then went and got some paint stripper and dumped that into tank with the screws and nuts. Then I did the shaken baby thing again for and hour or two and did some more yard work to relieve some stress. I let this sit over night and shook it up again in the morning on my way to school(I was on my pedal bike and it was raining, again I cursed the BMW gods)and let it sit for the rest of the day. After school and work I drained it out. Guess what came out...

I did the garden hose routine again and guess what came out... At this point I figured whatever it left in there has put up such a good fight that maybe it deserved to stay. So I took the tank to work where I could use the POR 15 kit that had arrived. Since I didn't dry it out very well after the paint stripper rinse out it had a lot of surface rust so I used the muriatic acid again and the garden hose routine. Guess what came out... thoughts of using the million pound pneumatic ram to completely flatten it made me happy. At least at this point the flakes were a lot smaller and a lot less frequent.all the rust was out and the metal was prepped for the POR 15 sealer but I decided to go through the whole process of the kit. I used the Marine Clean following the directions to the T. The marine clean knocked out a couple of flakes but not a hole lot. Then the Metal ready following the directions exactly. No noticeable flakes! I dried the tank out and then I dried it out some more, mixed up the sealer and dumped it in and twisted the tank around for half and hour trying to imagine it rolling over every part of the tank. Then I pulled the corks out of the petcock holes and let it drain out.

The four days for the sealer to set up are up some time Saturday but the lab is closed down so it will sit until Monday. It looks good but I was really frustrated and wasn't even going to share my experience but I thought I might show my brother all I have done on it so he may appreciate my hard work. I will try and snap some more pics tomorrow.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 12:40 AM
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #47
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Wow, that seems like a huge pain in the ass. Still, way to go on doing the research and getting it done. Are you ready to borrow the Harley yet? Do you think the POR15 will seal whatever is left? I really don't want to have to go through this whole process again in August. Maybe we should have just sprung for that really expensive plastic tank on Tourtech. Hell, maybe we should just sell this thing and buy an XR650. How much have you spent on acid/sealant so far?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #48
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

I want a worry free bike so bad. But I am getting really good at cursing the BMW.

The POR 15 kit was 50. Stripper was 20 all the acid was 30. Tape hairdryer and other stuff another 20.

I am almost 100% that the tank will be perfect. Looking into it is very pretty. Well as pretty as gray paint can be.

I have heard the Tourtech tank petcocks are a pain in the ass but I haven't really done enough research to know for sure.

If I can get it running well we could get a really nice xr 650 plus some goodies or maybe even a KTM 6x0 bike. For as much money as we spent on this thing we could have bought a brand new KLR...

The worst part is since I've had it I have probably ridden less than 200 miles.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #49
RPMinihan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Cursing in German seems to have the strongest effect.

I'm in the Medford area if you need help. I bought a 92 R100GS a year ago. It ran horrible. The biggest issue on mine was the choke / enricher gasket had sucked in. I had ridden it for a couple weeks that way before fixing it. After fixing it, the bike nearly tore my arms off!

Don't give up. The bike will reward you for your efforts.

And to Ulyses, thanks for serving.

Ryan
RPMinihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #50
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMinihan View Post
Cursing in German seems to have the strongest effect.

I'm in the Medford area if you need help. I bought a 92 R100GS a year ago. It ran horrible. The biggest issue on mine was the choke / enricher gasket had sucked in. I had ridden it for a couple weeks that way before fixing it. After fixing it, the bike nearly tore my arms off!

Don't give up. The bike will reward you for your efforts.

And to Ulyses, thanks for serving.

Ryan

What seems to be the best German words of curse?

It was really hard starting especially cold but after I cleaned the carbs it fired up really easy. All of the gaskets seemed to be in fairly good condition but I think the the needle and needle jet may need to be replaced. If I do that all the gaskets may as well go at the same time.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #51
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Al, remember............If it was easy, everybody would do it! There is a great deal of satisfaction to be had in taking a bike from where you started to where I know you can get. Once your get this bike sorted out, you are in for a treat.

Ulyses, from an old Marine, thanks for stepping up.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #52
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

To all: thanks for the support! I'm almost out of this miserable country!

Al: dude, if you want, start seeing if you can price out an XR650 enduro. Maybe we could sell the airhead and buy an XR without loosing too much money. I could build hard panniers out of Mk-19 ammo cans, and the heated vest should be an easy cross over. Or we could just wait and see how the BMW turns out and play it from there. I would hate to get to Bolivia or something, have that thing crap out on me and then have to ditch it for a local 250 or something.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #53
Mane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thumb

...oh you're making me feel guilty.

One year ago I acquired a 94' R100GS with 3,371 miles (was also looking at a KLR650...) and also cleaned the fuel tank to get the dam red flakes out of it, but only gave one good flush and call it a day. Now you got me thinking there should be some more of this red goo still left in the tank by seeing the effort it took you to get it clean.

The other problem I had was a Valeo starter that packed it up, hope you don't have to go through it.

Regards,
Mane
'03 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Death because of hopistalary infection R.I.P.)
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it".
Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #54
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
...oh you're making me feel guilty.

One year ago I acquired a 94' R100GS with 3,371 miles (was also looking at a KLR650...) and also cleaned the fuel tank to get the dam red flakes out of it, but only gave one good flush and call it a day. Now you got me thinking there should be some more of this red goo still left in the tank by seeing the effort it took you to get it clean.

The other problem I had was a Valeo starter that packed it up, hope you don't have to go through it.

Regards,
Mane
I did the slosh and drain and thought I had it beat and by some accounts that's all some people need to do. If it worked for you rock on. If you don't already have the inline fuel filters I would get a set of those, they are cheap and easy to install. Mine are made of clear plastic so I could see the little parts that got past my petcock filters.

If I did it again I would have started out with a thorough detergent rinsing and the some heavy duty aircraft paint stripper then the acid and sealer.

I gots more pictures. Here a shot down the gas hole.

One of the petcock spots

Landry AKA Little Shit in a shopping cart.

Tank vent and cap drain.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #55
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Maybe we should make a mini sidecar for Landry. Of course, I might decide to just toss him out while driving down the freeway.....haha.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #56
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Maybe we should make a mini sidecar for Landry. Of course, I might decide to just toss him out while driving down the freeway.....haha.
where is the like button...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Tank is on and full minus 25 miles and all is looking good.