User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
HoosierTrailmaster OP
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,462
Ride the Rug

Rug Road is a fairly infamous route which connects Mammoth, AZ with Klondyke, AZ. The story goes a rancher back in the 40's got tired of driving the 120 miles to get from Klondyke to Tucson so he created this little road which cuts off at least 180 miles round trip. Supposedly he did it in a 2 wheel drive pick-up. My hats off to him because that would be one heck of a feat today.

6 of us started with the idea we would do it out and back...a fairly ambitious adventure.

The six were:

YBRacing KTM 450
Laramie LC4 Honda XR 400
Reidy008 Honda CRF 250X
HoosierTailmaster* KTM 450
MntDawg KTM 200 EXC
Lamovita Yamaha XT 225

While the sign says "primitive road", the first 7 miles are pretty unassuming grade dirt.

This has been here for at least a year and I now think it was placed here to warn all those about to go further onto "Rug Road"

At this point you start a steep decent down what is known as "Carpet Hill". So steep and washed out that the old man reportedly went to Tucson and got a truck full of carpet scraps to fill the holes and stop erosion. To this day you can see remnants of the carpet. Once at the bottom you start a 2 mile accent against some of the worst loose rock I have been on. To say it is tough would be an understatement.

MntDawg trying to figure out whether this is the 100th or 101st time he has done this.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
HoosierTrailmaster OP
Just an Old Grizzly

Photo of "Carpet Hill" taken by MntDawg...and yes it is that steep and rocky as all get out near the bottom.

Carpet Hill
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Nice RR HTM. Looks like I missed another epic ride. This work thing sure encroaches on my riding fun.
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
HoosierTrailmaster OP
Just an Old Grizzly

Lamovita and MtnDawg conferring after the 2 mile climb. At this point someone pointed out that we were averaging 15.2 miles per hour...oh, that is moving average....it is actually 7.1 miles total average DOH.

Group shot at "The Saddle"

Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
HoosierTrailmaster OP
Just an Old Grizzly

Not a whole lot of pictures in between. Once we reached the saddle, I said to YBRacing..."you know, we got the tough stuff out of the way" YB's response was "whatever you say dude". AS soon as we came off the saddle I was reminded that it isn't all that easy just to get down from there. There are a series of 18" to 24" square edged steps going down with loose rock all around...not super difficult going down, but I forgot, we have to come back up this later.

A photo from MntDawg of the "Never-Ending Climb".

More from the far side...or should I call it "the dark side".

Once we reached Turkey Creek, it was all sunshine and fresh apple cores.

We found the ancient cliff dwellings (circ. 1300's) and the guys drew straws to see who was going to go inside.

Reidy008 and Laramie LC4 got the short straws and both crawled in.

After 10 minutes and no sounds we yelled in to see what was going on...someone was WAY TO HAPPY!

Someone scalped Laramie LC4's mohawk.

On the way back, MtnDawg got a flat with his tubless system. So we tried to see how many people it takes to fix a flat.

This is perhaps the theme of the ride, titled "Visitor on Mini Bike Kicks Ass". Dude rode like a champ. Me...I dropped my bike at least 6 times on the way back. I was spent and that climb up the steps...I promise they would put this in the Erzberg Rodeo.

It will certainly be one I remember for a long time.

HoosierTrailmaster screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 12:43 PM
HoosierTrailmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,792
Do NOT underestimate those little 225's. I really miss mine.

Looks like a great time was had here in my absence which seems to be a recurring theme.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,947
Nice job with the out and back! That's a relentless, rocky SOB.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 722
Nice Trip Report

It looks like you guys had a spirited, challenging ride and got some great pictures. Never doubt the mighty little XT, it thrives in this kind of terrain.

Thanks for posting,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
i have to say, being the first time i'd ridden with almost all of you, i was impressed. this was probably the toughest, slowest, 50 miles i have done in years. nothing like i was expecting. of course the pics do it no justice, but my rear tire tells a tale of abuse and torture. today my body feels like i was hit by a truck repeatedly.

it's good to be taken out of your comfort zone and thrown into something different, keeps you humble.

a big thumbs up to YBRacing for helping me with the little "bike off the cliff issue." i would not have got out of there without his help.

thanks again for the invite.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
Gnarly Day Trip! Thanks for the great report guys.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Sorry for the delay. Very busy.
What a fun day! Ok, maybe I am a little crazy. Ok, maybe I am totally nuts but, I am not the one who came up this torture test. Oh yeah, thanks again Allyn HTM for thinking this up and inviting me.
I only took a few pictures and videos. I was to busy trying to keep up and not fall.
I could not get the videos to encode. I have never had a problem in the past. Oh well. Click on them and it will play in another window.

Here are a couple of guys that make it look easy.

MntDawg

Lamovita

Now, I donít know who invited the trials guy (Lamovita) on the XT225 but, I know what I want for Christmas! He made it look easy.

This is what I am talking about:

Here is a video of what a MntDawg looks like doing his thing.

Letís see, both of them were on small bikes with trials tires. There must be something funny going on there. How many ccís does it take to get up a mountain? Apparently, not many!

Here is a video of HTM and Laramie LC4 in the same section.

That was the hard section going down into the valley. Here is a video of the hard section (2 miles) going up.

HTM

It does not look very steep and it really isnít. It is the loose rocks combined with the steepness that make it difficult. If you loose your momentum for one second you will stop and restarting is very difficult. Normally if I canít make it to the top I would go back down and make another run at it. 2 miles, I donít think that is an option.

Here is a video of Reidy008 doing his cowboy impression.

It must be an Australian cowboy.

We had lunch at the cave dwellings and recharged our batteries in anticipation of the fun ride back. I did manage to snap a couple of pictures after recuperating some.

Here is Reidy008 and Lamovita commenting on how stupid the rest of us were for bring 400+ cc bikes on this ride.

Here is one of MntDawg wondering if he could make it up the tree on his 200. After all, it is no steeper then what we had just done.

HTM and Laramie LC4 watching MntDawg go up the tree on his 200.

I did not take any pictures on the way back. With the exception of the flat we made pretty good time getting back to the trucks. I think everyone got their monies worth on this ride.
It was a real pleasure riding with all of you and I look forward to doing it again soon.
Uh, I think I will wait until my battle scares heal first!
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote