Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
MrBB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Best way to tap low beam for relay?

Hi,

I installed a set of AUX lights with relay connected to the GPS connector above the battery. While this works I don't like the fact that it is on as soon as the key is turned (taking away power from cranking) and it stays on for 30+ seconds after the key is removed potentially causing battery issues in the long run.

I'm probably paranoid about the above with LED AUX lights at 20W but would like to make it better with a tap to the low beam so that the AUX comes on after the bike is started and goes out immediately when the bike is not running.

So what is the best and least invasive way to tap into the low beam wire?
I know Posi-Tap inside the light housing will work but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.

Anything better possible?

Thanks
MrBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
RoundMountain
Quandt

Oddometer: 31
I did the same because it was less invasive, but I'd like to hear about any alternatives. I like the lights on at key turn and delayed off so far.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,456
I used Posi Tap outside the light housing. you do not need to worry about water or moisture with the Posi-Tap connector.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
The Maz
Savage

Oddometer: 76
For just a low power trigger wire, this is the best thing IMO to use.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/elect...ph-motorcycles
I also used this in conjunction with it.http://www.twistedthrottle.com/power...or-motorcycles
This way no factory wiring needs to be tampered with. Canbus compliant too.
The Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 373
I have the Denali wire too, great product but that's not what the OP asked, he doesn't want something that'll be on when the key is turned.
GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
MrBB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maz View Post
For just a low power trigger wire, this is the best thing IMO to use.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/elect...ph-motorcycles
I also used this in conjunction with it.http://www.twistedthrottle.com/power...or-motorcycles
This way no factory wiring needs to be tampered with. Canbus compliant too.
Denali 194 Marker Bulb CAN-BUS Adaptor looks good but that comes on with key turn so yes definitely a good option and an improvement over current setup since it goes out without delay.
I would prefer to go with low beam instead of marker since it is off until the engine is running.

A similar bulb adapter for low beam would be perfect.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
MrBB OP
Adventurer

might work

This is done on R1200GS but might work here too. I'll have to look at our connector.
http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2007/0608-wiring/
Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
I have low beam foglights set up with a relay triggered from the low beam wire.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...423227&page=27

You need to locate the yellow wire in the loom on the LHS behind the fairing. Remove the faux tank cover and LHS fairing. The loom is tucked in behind the steel rail that runs forward. Cut any cable ties to give a little slack. Carefully pull down the harness and cut the cloth tape wrapping. Locate the yellow wire in the bundle. If you have a test light ( with needle tip ) it would pay to check that it is the correct wire. I got the colour from a Haynes manual wiring diagram.

Once positively identified I stripped back about 12mm of insulation from the yellow and soldered a new wire to it. Run the new wire to the top of the battery area, insulate joint, wrap harness and cable tie neatly back in place. I like soldering joints as there is less chance of corrosion from water ingress.

I used these relays ( the TR039 ) http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Pr...5&G=478&P=2001

They are very compact and I mounted them on top of the battery clamp with good quality double sided mounting tape.

Foglights only come on after motor is fired up. I am thinking of putting waterproof toggle switches next to the gauges so I can have the option of turning off spots and fogs.

Hope this helps and if you are unclear of anything I can get some pics.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Stupid question here: If you tap into the low beam circuit, won't whatever is hooked into that shut off when switched to high beam?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
MrBB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Stupid question here: If you tap into the low beam circuit, won't whatever is hooked into that shut off when switched to high beam?
High beam is in addition to low beam which is always on while engine is running.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #11
MrBB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
I have low beam foglights set up with a relay triggered from the low beam wire.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...423227&page=27

You need to locate the yellow wire in the loom on the LHS behind the fairing. Remove the faux tank cover and LHS fairing. The loom is tucked in behind the steel rail that runs forward. Cut any cable ties to give a little slack. Carefully pull down the harness and cut the cloth tape wrapping. Locate the yellow wire in the bundle. If you have a test light ( with needle tip ) it would pay to check that it is the correct wire. I got the colour from a Haynes manual wiring diagram.

Once positively identified I stripped back about 12mm of insulation from the yellow and soldered a new wire to it. Run the new wire to the top of the battery area, insulate joint, wrap harness and cable tie neatly back in place. I like soldering joints as there is less chance of corrosion from water ingress.

I used these relays ( the TR039 ) http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Pr...5&G=478&P=2001

They are very compact and I mounted them on top of the battery clamp with good quality double sided mounting tape.

Foglights only come on after motor is fired up. I am thinking of putting waterproof toggle switches next to the gauges so I can have the option of turning off spots and fogs.

Hope this helps and if you are unclear of anything I can get some pics.
It makes sense. I'll wait for a warmer day and look at all options.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,763
I use the instructions from the tourtech instruction for installing their fog and HID aux lights. Not sure if the instructions are still online or not.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #13
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Low beam is always on hence the 2 relays in sequence in the link to my post in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #14
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Why not install a switch? Don't really need aux lights 24/7 anyway. Plus most aux lights aren't DOT legal so might be good to leave them off while riding behind a cop.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
MrBB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Why not install a switch? Don't really need aux lights 24/7 anyway. Plus most aux lights aren't DOT legal so might be good to leave them off while riding behind a cop.
Already have a switch so that is not a concern. Only change I want to make is that lights go on after the engine is running and go out with engine stopped.
And I prefer to have the lights on most of the time for visibility during day time riding.