Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Anybody do any Iron Butt rides with their F8?

The wife & I (she's on a 650 twin) are riding from Vancouver to Toronto to visit family this summer. We thought it would make an interesting experience to try a Saddlesore & Buttburner on the way... anybody try it?

Small fuel tank combined with crap mileage at highway speed may prove a problem, I guess that's my question - is it feasible?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
The wife & I (she's on a 650 twin) are riding from Vancouver to Toronto to visit family this summer. We thought it would make an interesting experience to try a Saddlesore & Buttburner on the way... anybody try it?

Small fuel tank combined with crap mileage at highway speed may prove a problem, I guess that's my question - is it feasible?
Totally is, I've done that on a VTR1000 with a stock seat. Range per tank was about 100 miles or so if I remember right. was a LONG painful day. I was much younger then. Could I do it today? Unlikely.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,415
I did Toronto - Hongcouver twice. Fuel range is only a problem if you don't plan. Sticking to the travelled roads you'll have lots of choices for fuel.

The wife and I did TO - VAN - SO Cal last fall with our longest day being 1300 kms. Averaged 800. If your bikes are set up properly for each of you then it's no problem. I'm running a Camel Tank on the 8 and had a hose if her 658 ran out.

If the wife's not happy, you're at least double that. Get a Comfort seat at least. Take off on a Sat morning (for a trial run) and see how far you can get. Grab a nice hotel (with a hot tub) and come home Sun.

You'll be most inspired to rack up the miles crossing that Province that's easy to draw but tough to spell.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Honcouver, hahaha. You are probably thinking of Richmond.

I find that wearing cycling shorts helps, too. Not only do they increase the sexy factor by being tight around the thighs, they provide extra cushioning at your ass region so that long treks are more comfortable.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

We've done numerous long trips, just never that much distance in a single day. I think 16 hours was our longest, Norcal to Vegas via Death Valley, but we stopped a fair bit so mileage was not that high, maybe 1000km/650 miles. 1000 miles though... yikes.

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure .
Old 05-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Met a fellow who came down from WA State, not sure exactly where, to the n00b ride in Death Valley and it looked like a stock seat. Smart part he had a smaller bike to ride in DV, while I floundered with my piss poor riding skills and soft suspension. Got better though.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,322
I did it on my G650 Sertao.. Before I knew about the IBA. So now, I'm doing for the street creds on May 9th on my F800GS. I've done a couple 700 mile days on the F8 so far. Stock seat is horrid, so I do a lot of standing if under 65mph. That helps a lot

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Stock seat is horrid, so I do a lot of standing if under 65mph. That helps a lot
Thats true. Stand up and stretch those legs.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Yes, question is, will you?

Does Boise to Port Orchard, Wa in Feb. Count? Also did it early April-no snow that time. Thank you Aerostitch for the studs, they do wonders for traction.

Several 700+ mile days, 2 800+ mile days and 1000 miles once (pre camel tank mind you) from the end of the COBDR to Pendleton, OR. I also have some 6,000 miles in the last 30 days. New Sargent sitting back home, just waiting to get broke in.

So, yes, the F800GS ADV kitted, is IBA ready. Question is, are you?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

I guess that's the real question, isn't it?

As an aside... you do realize that saying you've done it, and having your name registered on the IBA site, are two very different things, right?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

Quote:
I did it on my G650 Sertao.. Before I knew about the IBA. So now, I'm doing for the street creds on May 9th on my F800GS. I've done a couple 700 mile days on the F8 so far. Stock seat is horrid, so I do a lot of standing if under 65mph. That helps a lot
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685325

It's easy, and it's free.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Quote:

Did SS in Feb (in winter in freezing temps). Stages (or legs in IBA language) were about 250...300 km (don't know what it is in prehistoric units). Riding around 100 km/h with studded tires (studs about 5 mm) the "horse" was a bit hungy for gas - still no problems due to a fillings.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:

As an aside... you do realize that saying you've done it, and having your name registered on the IBA site, are two very different things, right?
Word. I still have all the docs when I did 1286 on my C14, decided I didn't need it in the books as it resides firmly in my scars. Proper documentation is truly %25 of the effort for "proper" credit.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:

I guess you're referring to me. I didn't know the IBA existed when I did 1k/15hours for shits and giggles. So, does that day just not exist in time?

Now im doing it next friday for the IBA certification (which is the only actual difficult part).

-Sent from outside your window

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Mollygrubber OP
Eschew obfuscation

Quote:
I guess you're referring to me. I didn't know the IBA existed when I did 1k/15hours for shits and giggles. So, does that day just not exist in time?

Now im doing it next friday for the IBA certification (which is the only actual difficult part).

-Sent from outside your window
Actually no, I was referring to SOP Dirt-Rider, and the ribbing was taken in good humor. As he noted, accumulating all the docs required is a big part of the process. I imagine a lot of people have done the miles but dotting all the I's proved too much of a pain in the ass to bother with.

Good luck with your trip.