Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
nwx OP
Explorer

Oddometer: 65
Question Shinko 244/700 or Trail Wing(s) for 80/20?

Just got a new-to-me BMW X Challenge from KMike and it's got burly Pirelli Scorpion XC MH on the front and rear. I don't truck the bike anywhere and I'd like to be able to ride it in the city (to work) and the Pirelli's are real squirrely.Plus, I want to keep the Pirelli's for real offroad and not totally waste them.

I'll end up riding 80/20 this summer just going camping and whatnot, with all the offroad being on FS roads and gravel (for the most part).

I'm looking at the Shinko 244, Shinko 700 & Bridgestone Trail Wing 40 & 42.Or, if you have any recommendations, I'd like to hear them.

We trucked the bike back because a storm rolled across the passes the weekend we decided to go get it. We're smart.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Shinko 244's???

I tried the Shinko 244's once, threw a bunch of chunks off in the first 800 miles. I'll never run them again. Saw several reports of guys having the same problem at different locals accross the country so it wasn't just me. I went to Kenda 270's almost the same tire, I run it exclusivly on my 09 KLR and get 6-7K out of them. Love that tire. And BTW the Shinko rep assured me upon proof the tire was destroyed, they would refund my money, Sent the proof, they never came through. No more Shinko's for me. Not about the money, it's principle.
I run the Kenda Trak master II on my 90 KLR for trail use, love that tire also..
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
T-63

IRC-GP1

T. Wings are good 80/20 tires, but they aren't cheap. I wonder if you can't buy take-offs from some inmate who wants to go knobbier right out of the showroom.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
nwx OP
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I tried the Shinko 244's once, threw a bunch of chunks off in the first 800 miles. I'll never run them again. Saw several reports of guys having the same problem at different locals accross the country so it wasn't just me. I went to Kenda 270's almost the same tire, I run it exclusivly on my 09 KLR and get 6-7K out of them. Love that tire. And BTW the Shinko rep assured me upon proof the tire was destroyed, they would refund my money, Sent the proof, they never came through. No more Shinko's for me. Not about the money, it's principle.
I run the Kenda Trak master II on my 90 KLR for trail use, love that tire also..
That looks like the right amount of tread for me. Good reviews as far as I can tell as well, I've had Kendas before and liked them.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
oldmanron
Skeptical Otimist

Oddometer: 33
No problems with my 244's

I'm on my second set of Shinko 244's on a DR650. and I have had none of the chucking problems that some have reported. I have over 4000 miles on the rear that is on my bike right now, and it still has some life left in it. I road this tire from Alabama to northern Michigan on combinations of gravel, pavement and Michigan sugar sand, and it has done a good job for me as a 'ride it anywhere" tire. I get them from motorcycle superstore for about $75 a set!
oldmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,201
The Trackmasters are good tires, but if you want something a little streetier...

Take a look at the Kenda K270 (DR650 on the left) a 50/50
or the Kenda K761 (DRZ on right) a 80/20.
I have had both tires on my DRZ and I just put the K761s on the wifes DR.
Both are good tires and will do offroad duty fairly well.
Of course the 761s take a little more finesse in the dirt.
Doctor Zed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Kenda 270 looks a bit like the Mefo Explorers on my rear:

Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
nwx OP
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Zed View Post
The Trackmasters are good tires, but if you want something a little streetier...

Take a look at the Kenda K270 (DR650 on the left) a 50/50
or the Kenda K761 (DRZ on right) a 80/20.
I have had both tires on my DRZ and I just put the K761s on the wifes DR.
Both are good tires and will do offroad duty fairly well.
Of course the 761s take a little more finesse in the dirt.
How rumbly are the K270s? I might prefer the 761s, but maybe I'm being greedy.

Also, tell me about the Mefos. Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,455
I run the inexpensive K761 in the rear. 'Supposed to be a 10K-mile-possible tire. For as "streety" as it looks, it did surprisingly well riding around my mom's rain-soaked farm on grass, clay, mud, roots, leaves, needles, and sand. There are no real knobbies to chunk on this tire, so it should die strictly from wear or serious puncture. It grabs nice on the pavement, and runs smooth/quiet. It also tends to let go progressively when it goes, unlike many TWs.

I don't know how the front K761 is though. I'm still wearing out the stock TW before I spoon on a knobby for the sand.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,549
I'm a big fan of the shinko e700.

If your going to be doing a fair amount of pavement, this is a tire you should consider, it handles extremely well on the pavement. I've stuck with supersports on the Cherohola and hit the gravel a few minutes later. One of the few 21" tubeless tires, the front tire carcass is stiff.

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,528
T63s just plain work, and don't cost much. In deep mud, bring a winch. This can be said for just about any DS tire. They howl a bit, but that proves you're riding an adventure bike.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 07:38 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
I've run the Shinko 700 and am pleased with the miles, a good road tire 80/20. The 244 Shinko and the similar kenda tire are good too. The 700 is more street than the 244. the 244 is more a 60/40 tire. I wouldn't expect the 700 to do very well in loose stuff...it's crap in mud.

I ran the 700 for 2,800 miles from Oregon the Ky via interstate at a constant 62mph, with full luggage on a DRZ, no problems with noise.That was in August, now in Feb, my rear tire is shot, the front is half gone maybe less. I'm guessing 5,000 miles on the rear, the front should double that.

Had a 761 on the front of an R80 G/S for a short time, it cupped very early, but it's kind of heavy.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
nwx OP
Explorer

Shinko 700

So I think I'm going to go with the 700 after everyone's responses. However, I'm running tubes now. Are the X Challenge rims already setup for tubeless or am I going to have to do the whole conversion thing with beads? I'd rather just stick with tubes and run them in the Shinko 700s. Anyone have any advice against this? Other threads I've read say it's not an issue
Old 02-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Another vote for the T63

I just replaced my OEM Trailwings on my Yam wrr with Michelin T63's. They were cheap and perform much better in all conditions. Plus they were easy to spoon on by hand. I notice no noise either.

While in AZ I needed to try a 13 mile sand wash to connect parts of the GWT. I made 2 failed attempts and finally mounted my new T63 on the front to see if I could make it. No problemo! The tire came up on top of the sand at about 16mph and was pretty easy to steer at about 20mph.

About $120 for a set from Motorcycle-Superstore.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwx View Post
So I think I'm going to go with the 700 after everyone's responses. However, I'm running tubes now. Are the X Challenge rims already setup for tubeless or am I going to have to do the whole conversion thing with beads? I'd rather just stick with tubes and run them in the Shinko 700s. Anyone have any advice against this? Other threads I've read say it's not an issue
No problem running a tube in a tubeless tire. Have many thousands of miles running the 700 that way.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote