Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #46
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....E:B:SS:CA:1123
this could be a good deal for someone here
Assuming there are any Ottawa DR650 owners in the US.

"Ships to: United States "
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #47
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
A large percentage of my ebay purchases have had "no international shipping" or similar words in the ad. I always ask the seller and it often turns out they don't consider Canada to be international and are happy to quote shipping. I don't know about this seller as I already have a skid plate.
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)
TDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #48
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie

Oddometer: 126
I have a few parts to bolt on/ugrade but am lacking experience with a couple of things. I've read the tutorials and watched the online vids, but I don't want to fudge or break anything (or make anything unsafe). Anyone want to help me install some springs, intiminators, and a new set of T63s? I'm willing to take a stab at it alone, but I'd certainly take some guidance if anyone is available. I have tunes and cold beer in the garage. I even have a shop manual (but no torque wrench).
Booyashaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyashaka View Post
I have a few parts to bolt on/ugrade but am lacking experience with a couple of things. I've read the tutorials and watched the online vids, but I don't want to fudge or break anything (or make anything unsafe). Anyone want to help me install some springs, intiminators, and a new set of T63s? I'm willing to take a stab at it alone, but I'd certainly take some guidance if anyone is available. I have tunes and cold beer in the garage. I even have a shop manual (but no torque wrench).
Sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #50
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
Rear Wheel install

Question in regards to the rear wheel install, I take it the sprocket drum is just a press fit.

Mine doesn't completely snug up as close together as it appears it should, dampers look fine and I can't find anything from preventing a closer fit.

Will it / does it snug tighter when you tighten up the wheel nuts? Holding off on this as don't want to cause any damage.

Tonight would be a good time to be back working on the bike so any/all help appreciated.

Maybe u guys doing the T63's can let me know what u think.

I have tunes and cold beer and since my bike is already apart maybe u can ride down to Napanee to work on your bike
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #51
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It does look like there is a bit of a gap behind the sprocket carrier when it is all done up properly, I don't know why. A quick check to see if everything is right is to see if the wheel fits in the swing arm. Unless your cush-drive rubbers are new it shouldn't take much of a press to put the sprocket carrier into the hub, it just drops in. Try using 2 or 3 zip ties to temporarily tie the sprocket to the spokes to hold it together while assembling the wheel into the swing arm.

Make sure you have all the axle spacers in place. There are 4 of them including the one that goes between the sprocket carrier bearing and the left wheel bearing.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #52
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie

Thumpididump, sounds great I'll PM you with my details and availability. Let me know what works for you.

chilibizkit, as much as I'd love to hit the road down to Napanee, its not in the cards for the next few days. Wifey is a nurse, on shift work, and I'll have the kids solo this weekend. I'm not your best resource anyway, TDY seems to have you covered. I don't need much of an excuse to hit the road for a ride, so I'll take you up on the ride to Napanee sometime later this spring/summer.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #53
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
"chilibizkit, as much as I'd love to hit the road down to Napanee, its not in the cards for the next few days"

Thats okay, I was just kidding cuz wanted you guys to sort out the bike, but when we get our shite together I am in for a ride.

TDY thanks for the tip on the zip ties will try it out.
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #54
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
It depends on which pic. you found . I had the scouts for years, both on my DRZ then my DR, I just rjigged the brackets to fit the DR. Last year I moveed up to the ranger bags for more space when travelling and Im happy with them. Soucts were a little more compact for around town, but Im used to the bigger rangers now even though I still have the scouts too.

Good
-tough as nails, been down many times with them and not a mark on them, brackets some times bend in a bit, but just pull them out and away you go.
- well made, heavy duty zippers etc.
- price is realativly good
- easy on/off, I added a clip so the strap under my rack comes off easy, other is across the rear of the seat
- Nice and light

Bad, well not really bad, but....
- Not water proof, but Im a canoe tripper so Im used to packing stuff in ziplocks
- ummm....thats about it

I would buy them again for sure for the price, but if money was no object I,d likely get the Wolfman Expidition drys. They have a very heavy duty rack, dry bag design, nice stuff. I have Wolfman tank bag and rack bag and really like their stuff, but it aint cheap and they didnt have the dry bags when I bought these, so Im sticking with the dirtbagz as they have wrked fine for me.

Cheers, Todd
Thanks Todd,
I'm going to get these for sure but I can't decide on the Ranger vs Scout. On the DR650, which one will give me a flatter platform to put a tent and sleeping pad across? I see in the gallery pictures on the dirt bagz site that on some bikes the seat is 3" above the top of the bags, I'd like them to be flush.

Edit: I just received a reply from Dirt Bagz so I thought I'd share it here:

Hello Terry
The Ranger is the bag that will work best for what you are looking for – the top of the bag sits just below the level of the seat – the scout sits down about 2 inches from this level.
The Ranger is also the most popular choice for the DR650 –by far.

TDY screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 02:04 PM Reason: new information
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #55
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Im sure you,ll be fine with the Rangers. The only thing deterrnining the hieght of the bags is a "D" ring welded on the rear of the racks. So if its not quite high enough for you you can cut it off and weld it back on in the desired place, then just cinch up the straps. Get a decent rear rack and the tent and pad will be fine either way.

No tent in this pic., but you get the idea of the height of the bags. My dry bag is on my rack which is a bit higher then the seat.

toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #56
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
Im sure you,ll be fine with the Rangers. The only thing deterrnining the hieght of the bags is a "D" ring welded on the rear of the racks. So if its not quite high enough for you you can cut it off and weld it back on in the desired place, then just cinch up the straps. Get a decent rear rack and the tent and pad will be fine either way.

No tent in this pic., but you get the idea of the height of the bags. My dry bag is on my rack which is a bit higher then the seat.
Thanks I just ordered the Rangers. I don't have a rack and I don't plan on getting one. I always just bungeed a duffel bag accross the back seat/fender hanging out over the turn signals. What will be different now with the saddlebags is the pile on the seat will be much smaller and lower. I try to travel light and when I'm not camping I keep the bike as light as I can so no rack for me.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #57
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie

Thumb T63s

Hey thumpididump, those T63s kick ass...thanks again for the help! Found some gravel and mud tonight . She could use a wash, but she's a big girl and she likes it dirty...so I'll leave her like that till after work tomorrow. I picked up some fork oil tonight too, if you're free this week.

Whoo hoo. Spring is here.

Booyashaka screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 05:33 PM Reason: Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #58
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,586
No problem. Glad to help. The T63 is just about the best value in dual sport tires around. I really like them, and I'm sure you will, too. I just don't understand why people would pay double the price for a TKC.

I may be able to spare some time later this week. I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyashaka View Post
Hey thumpididump, those T63s kick ass...thanks again for the help! Found some gravel and mud tonight . She could use a wash, but she's a big girl and she likes it dirty...so I'll leave her like that till after work tomorrow. I picked up some fork oil tonight too, if you're free this week.

Whoo hoo. Spring is here.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #59
Slow Toast
pfft

Oddometer: 63
NSU Screws

Over at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771405 Jon_l posted about some replacement NSU screws.

I contacted him about getting a couple and he has generously offered to send along a bunch if anybody else is interested.

If there's any interest, perhaps we could even get together and do a bunch of them at once? I can turn a wrench, but am basically a moron about mechanical issues, so would welcome any and all suggestions.

(Hey, the KLR guys have doohickey parties, why can't the DR guys have NSU parties? )
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #60
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Toast View Post
...perhaps we could even get together and do a bunch of them at once? I can turn a wrench, but am basically a moron about mechanical issues, so would welcome any and all suggestions.
Good idea, and thanks for suggesting it, but both our bikes have it done already.

While you're doing the NSU screws would be a good time to do the "T Mod" too, while you're in a partying mood.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote