ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,500
ALARR V - The 5th year of our Annual Latin American Riders' Rallye

What it is: The is an annual rally, open to everyone interested in riding in Latin America -- both those who have already done it and those who think they might want to (anyone who has never ridden in LA should be in this category). We get together to discuss past and future rides in Latin America, eat some great food and drink some great drinks. We also manage to get in a little riding, both on and off road. It doesn't matter what kind of a bike you have, or even if you currently are bikeless. Come and enjoy!

DATES: July 27-29

PLACE: Max's Resort and Strip Club - That's in Wisconsin for the uninitiated - More details to follow

Options:
This post will be the placeholder for all pertinent information. Since we're not sure what all the pertinent info is at this time, please check back in to this post periodically as it is updated.

Here are some important dates to help with your planning:

July 19-22: BMW MOA International Rally, Sedalia, MO (http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally12)
July 23-29: EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh (http://www.airventure.org/)
July 27-29: ALARR V at Max's Resort and Strip Club

You'll notice that BMW calls their get-together a "Rally" while ALARR is a "Rallye". That's an important distinction as it notes the difference in levels of sophistication between their rally and our rallye.

Here's a Google Map of the destination:

Looks like this will be the roster of this year's attendees:

Veterans attending:
Nata Harli
Bananaman
Doogle
catfishingguide
daveg

Rookies attending:
farrell caesar

Maybe next year:
nightflyer
bush pilot
BobLoblaw

And, John gets his own special category.
Who the hell knows?:
Throttlemeister
(Well, I know now. John is in Caracas recovering from a broken leg so he will probably not make the rally. But, knowing John .... And, he will have a hell of a lot of good stories for us next year.)

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.

Nata Harli screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 08:31 PM
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Plans

Here's what my plans are for attending BMW MOA, EAA and ALARR V.

July 19-21: Attend BMW MOA
July 22-23: Ride to Oshkosh
July 24-26: Attend the EAA AirVenture
July 27-29: Attend ALARR V
July 30: If I haven't hit a deer, broken any bones and am not in the hospital I'll ride home.

It's approximately 500 miles from Sedalia to ALARR V. 600 miles from Sedalia to Oshkosh.

It's going to be a fun 10 days concluding with a great time at Max's Resort and Strip Club (hereafter referred to as MRASC).

Anyone want to join me for all or some of the trip?

Nata Harli screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 06:55 PM
Old 02-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
Farm Address: 22990 Hwy Z, Richland Center, WI.

Google Earth puts the farm in the wrong place. I promise that the farm is where it's supposed to be, in real life.

Directions: From Boaz, Wisconsin, go East on Hwy 14 for a few hundred meters, then North on Hwy Z about 2 miles. The farmhouse is on the corner of Hwy Z, Tuckaway Valley Road, and Lingel Lane.

PM me for my farm phone number.

bananaman screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 07:01 AM
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 452
Greetings from El Salvador

We are in La Palma today, in the highlands of El Salvador, where all the colorful art you see in America is made.
I'm sorry to say the Mrs. Colomtnbiker & myself won't be able to make ALARR V as that weekend is our big arts and crafts festival in Carbondale, Colorado. So we will have to share our adventure travels with you some other time.
Rick & Chris

Hopefully getting old is not an option but acting old is.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
I am in Perote MX today heading for GT. Unfortunately the dates won't work for me either
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
bananaman
transcontimental

Rick- I'm enjoying you reports from the road. I wish you could attend, and give a presentation on the importance of properly checking out of countries, or the importance of knowing people in high places.

Allan- stop by any time! By the way, how are you at castrating bull calves?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
colomtnbiker
wimpy old guy

Oddometer: 452
Bman, we checked out of El Salvador and into Honduras yesterday. It took less than 30 minutes to get out of El Salvador.

Hopefully getting old is not an option but acting old is.
colomtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
bananaman
transcontimental

Al, my neighbor to the West, died a couple of weeks ago, but that shouldn't prevent us from using his logging road to get to the top of the ridge, and from there to the top of the meadow where I think we should camp. It's a 6 acre meadow and from on top of the ridge you can't see any structures, and you're invisible from the road.

The farm is called The Violet Rose Cattle Company, and it's inspired by my experiences in Argentina. It's a working cattle operation, specializing in grass-fed beef. We have tractors, horses, and, of course, cattle. I know that some of you are city folk, so if you want to see what it's like to push cows, I'll give you a chance.

Bring your fishing poles, or borrow one of mine. There's a trout stream running the length of the farm, 3/4 of a mile of it. You can actually see the trout in the deeps in the bends. They're not real big, but it's fun to try to catch them.

I've got a place on the stream where you can practice water crossings. I'm an expert at how to do it wrong.

Usually at these things, different people get assigned different presentations. Not like if we have a projector and slides and stuff, but if you want to do a slide presentation, we could easily do that in the house or the barn. Otherwise usually we just tell lies around the camp fire.

In case you missed it, the house is for the wives who don't camp. The rest of us sleep outside. Or in the barn, which is how motorcyclists are supposed to sleep.

If Doogle, Dr. Benny, and Gato Gato show up, that'll make a bunch of us who've ridden to Ushuaia. Maybe we can get more riders who've done it?

Lucio, if he gets his ass to Wisconsin, is probably the best rider I've ever met. For example, he rode a V-Strom to Carti. With road tires. There's a reason why there are two photos of him and Paula on the Front Page.

If Throttlemeister comes, maybe he'll re-tell the biggest hand-dug whale story. And add to the adventures he's having in Central and northern South America. He tells the best stories.

Too bad Colomtnbiker can't come. He and Chris are probably the absolute nicest people on advrider. They saved the first LARR, that's for sure.

Which reminds me- I'll have a truck at the farm, for in case if anybody needs to get hauled or anything. There's also a kubota with a loader, for in case if anybody gets stuck in the stream.

There's also a machine shed and it has a few tools, for in case if anybody rides a KLR, or if Ken rides his BMW.

The closest motorcycle rental I know of is the Harley dealer in Sauk. There's also a Harley dealer in Madison. I don't know anybody who rents non-Harleys.

Most importantly, you should all know that this is your Rallye, and you can make of it what you want.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
bananaman
transcontimental

updated address: 22926 Lingel Lane, Richland Center, WI. It's still the same place, but google maps will only take you there if you plug in this address.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
I'll miss it again!

Damn!!!!! I will miss this one yet again. I had such a good time two years ago, time flies it seems it was just a few months ago...

You all have a good time there and ride safe
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Who's coming?

Are you?

I'm sure Max and I can have a great time by ourselves but we need someone to build the campfire, have several (many) drinks, and then fall in. Max isn't volunteering for that, are you?

I sent a letter to the editor of Rider Magazine about an article they had in the newest issue about camping. I tried to sneak in a reference to ALARR. We'll see how that goes. Keep tuned.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
I wont make it this year either. I'm Thailand now and will go back to Argentina in August to resume my journey north.

Summer in Wisconsin is nice. I'll probably be back in the midwest summer 2013.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
bananaman
transcontimental

I'm still in. I'll be freshly back from Panama.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
I plan to be there.I will probably miss the last day.
Doogle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I'm still in. I'll be freshly back from Panama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I plan to be there.I will probably miss the last day.