User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Looking at you "6"

I'm 65 and had a lot of good advice over the years. While I did a couple of dumb things as a younger guy, nowadays, I ride as safely as I can. One of the things I was taught was, when stopping at a light, immediately survey what's happening behind you. Also, position yourself so that you can take evasive action if needed.

I live in AZ and a year or so ago, a group of riders, including a PHX fire captain were riding. They all came to a stop at an intersection that I ride frequently. A damn big truck, dump or something, just plain didn't stop and slammed into the whole bunch of them; killing several and maiming several more. Later, it turns out, the driver was on drugs, but it sounds like he's gonna skate on the charges.

Nowadays, whenever I come to a stop in traffic, I always look behind me to see just what the hell's going on. I always keep an eye on my rear view mirror while riding as well. My goal is to not let anyone surprise me by passing me if I don't know well in advance that they're coming.

I hope I don't sound "old" and paranoid, but I see so many riders nowadays who just don't seem to grasp what "defensive riding" means, especially if you're on a moto.

Ride safe everyone!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Ain't nuthin' wrong with old and paranoid - that's the way you get to be 66!
Watch your 6.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Korben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
When I can't filter to the front at junctions I tend to stop with enough room to be able to escape should I need to, then keep an eye on my mirrors... Sit far enough back from the vehicle in front so that if you need to you can power off around and away from the potential accident. I sometimes angle the bike to point at the gap if I'm feeling extra paranoid.

As said, nothing wrong with being paranoid... Keeps you alive.

Tour 1. Wales: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468598
Korben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Jimmy B.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Check your 6

+1 to that!

It happened to me after 30 years of riding. Got lazy and did not leave an escape route. High curb to the right, semi on the left then BLAMO!
Young lady in a Honda 4 door pounded me so hard it left the imprint of my plate 2 feet up the hood of her car!
Bye bye bike, it was a total loss. Had to get another one. I am back in the groove and keeping a wary eye on that rear view mirror.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I suspect anyone who rides on the street a while and does NOT have any accidents does the same thing.
What worries me is those times when you can not see past the vehicle behind you.
Someone behind them could not be stopping...
My right foot is on the ground, the left is ready to shift into first and bolt.

Its amazing the things some riders do, or do not do, over riding sight lines, not scanning the road surface, assuming they have the right of way, assuming people are looking where they are going, not leaving space or an out, etc.

37 years on the street, wild in the past, often far from sober, and I never had an issue with another vehicle because I do not trust them.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Pepepower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
The helmet you should buy!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaMSXgB3PVA

I agree with your "paranoia". Lost sight, lost fight.
Pepepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Islesfan91
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
[QUOTE=NJ-Brett;18100399]My right foot is on the ground, the left is ready to shift into first and bolt.

QUOTE]

we were taught in the course I took, to keep the right foot on the rear brake, left hand on the clutch, in 1st gear and right hand on the throttle while pointed at our escape route watching the mirrors. By the time something happens, you may not have that extra second to shift and then go. I'm still getting used to just how damn close people stop behind a bike. I can turn around and almost reach their front bumper at just about every stop. Makes it very difficult to be comfortable in traffic.
Islesfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I stop at the side of the lane behind a car, usually right side, maybe left side if the situation calls for that. Maybe it will attract the attention of a following driver. Maybe I'm out of the oil drips. Maybe I'll have a better view down the side behind me. Maybe I'll be better set up for my escape route. Maybe I'm just deluding myself into thinking that I'm doing something smart.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,253
Good comments. It's called situational awareness, and especially being aware of your 6 while stopped in traffic.

Not just a good idea, it's survival.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
After a lot of years on old bikes with no clutch throwout bearings and wimpy clutch cables, I just put the bike in neutral at a light.
It takes very little time to put the bike in gear and bolt.
Front brake is on to activate the light.

Car or bike, I have a habit of not holding a clutch in for more then 3 seconds.

[QUOTE=Islesfan91;18100689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
My right foot is on the ground, the left is ready to shift into first and bolt.

QUOTE]

we were taught in the course I took, to keep the right foot on the rear brake, left hand on the clutch, in 1st gear and right hand on the throttle while pointed at our escape route watching the mirrors. By the time something happens, you may not have that extra second to shift and then go. I'm still getting used to just how damn close people stop behind a bike. I can turn around and almost reach their front bumper at just about every stop. Makes it very difficult to be comfortable in traffic.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
i will just go to the front of the line of cars and get rady to go. as in the uk you can by law
or have room to go round the drives side.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
It happened to my buddy as he was leaving a gas station. He had stopped and was waiting for traffic to clear before making a right turn on his brand new Harley Ultra E-glide (big dam bike with lights on the tour pack etc...) A kid in a pickup stopped behind him and then proceeded to make his own right turn. Pushed Steve across two lanes of traffic, mangled his saddlebags, fender and tour pack... Always check 6... just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to kill you.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
jacksgp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Always watch my 6 at a light, bike in gear and slightly left or right of the car in front of me. Also added some blinking led lights on either side of my licence plate....helps in wakening up the "car zombies".
jacksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
10 years, or so, ago, I was coming down US 6 towards Golden just before the last tunnel. The road turns left about 1/4 mile before the tunnel and when I made the turn traffic was stopped. I stopped and, thank god, left a little room. Next thing is I heard (almost felt) the squeal of brakes and tires behind me. I scooted up the right side of the line of cars and heard the crash as a tractor trailer loaded with gravel smashed into the last two cars in line. Killed the lady in the last car. I don't think the DR and I would have been much more than a smudge....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I don't understand how anyone can be comfortable stopped at an intersection without being aware of what's behind them. Especially on arterial roads where traffic can come up fast.

As a new rider, I'm pretty paranoid and plan to stay that way. I subconsciously pick an escape route as I roll up, move to that side a bit, and stop with enough room to squirt out to relative safety - next to another vehicle, corner boulevard clearance etc. MSF taught me bike in gear, left foot down, and right on the brake, which is what I do - while eyeing the mirrors to make sure there's an orderly line forming behind me.