User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
phoenixdoglover OP
Where to next?

Oddometer: 111
Dealers in Oman and Dubai

I'm in the market for an adventure bike. I currently have a KLR-650 here in Oman and it is great fun. But I'm looking to get something more suitable for 2-up riding, and with a little more power for the highway. I have visited motorcycle dealers in Oman and Dubai in the past month. Here's a rundown. Don't get too depressed.

Oman
1) Yamaha - located on the frontage road facing the main highway in Al Azaiba. No Super Tenere in stock. Unable or unwilling to special order. I visited 3 times to get to that conclusion.
2) Kawasaki - located in Al Khuwair (just found it by chance) - they have a KLR 650 in stock. They are willing to special order. Just for grins I got a quote on a special order GTR 1400 sport tourer. 7,300 OR, which is overpriced.
3) Suzuki - now located on upper floor of Harley dealer in Al Khuwair. No V-Stroms in stock. Unwilling to special order. Say they have to sell some of their stock before they can get ANY new bikes.
4) I am not aware of any other dealers in Oman.

Dubai
1) Aprilia, Moto Guzzia, Triumph - one combined dealer located near Mall of the Emirates. They have a Stelvio NTX. They do not have a Tiger 800 (regular or XC). And no Tiger Adventure yet of course. They seemed eager to sell me the Stelvio for 63,000 dirhams.
All the other dealers are basically located along the frontage road to Sheik Zayed highway.
2) BMW - they have a couple of used GS's and a couple of new ones. Willing to handle export paperwork, but I have to arrange trucking of bike to Oman. According to them, I can't register the bike in UAE and ride it down. Price on new GS loaded with accessories is 80,000 dirhams.
3) Suzuki - no V-Stroms, and sucky customer service attitude.
4) Yamaha - no Super Tenere and no special orders.
5) KLM - I did not go in. I'm not in the market for the 990.
6) Ducati - located near the autodrome, but I did not get there.

So that's the rundown so far. Oman is a washout and Dubai has a few possibilities.
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Keep you KLR. Go to a 705 kit w/ full head work & up grade the rear shock.

DO THE SUB FRAME UP GRADE, before the bolts break.

Sounds like your KLR is a half way to what you need & w/o the dealings w/ sucky dealers.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
phoenixdoglover OP
Where to next?

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Keep you KLR. Go to a 705 kit w/ full head work & up grade the rear shock.

DO THE SUB FRAME UP GRADE, before the bolts break.

Sounds like your KLR is a half way to what you need & w/o the dealings w/ sucky dealers.
Yeah. I'm going to keep the KLR. A lot of the off road here in Oman is sand or deep gravel and the KLR, while not exactly a small bike, is pretty capable in that stuff. I've got the doohickey replacement kit and I'll be doing that soon. I think the 705 upgrade may have to wait.

The bike I'm looking to replace is my Suzuki cruiser. I like its looks and its sound, and it is fine for 2-up. But after 45 minutes on that thing my back starts aching. On the more upright KLR I can ride all day until general exhaustion sets in. I figure a V-Strom, Super Tenere, Stelvio NTX or 1200 GS would give me the 2-up option, power and riding position for my long rides on pavement, plus I can always work in some dirt roads.

Oman should be a great place for adventure riding. Perfect weather 5 months of the year. Mountains. Fast pavement. Twisties. Extensive dirt roads. But the locals apparently have no interest in that sort of riding. And the motorcycle dealers naturally cater to the market. I can understand that. What I don't understand is the total absence of interest on their part in helping me get the bike I want and then retaining me as a customer for service, accessories, etc. They barely seem to be in the business. On my 3rd visit to the local Yamaha dealer, I asked the "sales" guy, "Are you selling any motorcycles?". His answer was to shrug and say , "No."
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,979
You did not mention what percentage of off-roading you intend to do. Nowadays the term "Adventure Bike" is oft mis-used by manufacturers to name their road bikes capable of doing some gravel roads.

If you are looking for a proper Adventure bike then don't leave out the KTM990Adv which is IMHO the most capable in its class and best suited for the kind of open terrain we have here in the ME.

all the other bikes you mentioned are road bikes capable of handling some gravel and sandy patches.

I do multi week 2-up touring, Desert & Wadi riding and spirited twisty mountain roads on the east coast on my Adv990S. I just need to swap the tyres to knobbies for the sand-desert stuff. Test ride one (if you haven't) and you might like it.

Edit : just read your reply re mostly tarmac riding/cruising. Sorry for my wrong post.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
richeyroo
34L King of bikes !

Oddometer: 112
Hi Dog Lover

What do you mean by "locals" ? expats or what ?

I have been in country 5 weeks (having previously lived here for 5 years in the 90s) and the bikers seem to have really divided themselves into well defined categories

Sports bike guys (a lot of whom are young Omanis with a seeming death wish)

Harley riders

Guys who race at the MX track on mx bikes

Guys who trailer Enduro bikes to interesting parts of the country and do serious off roading in deep sand and gravel on light bikes

Pizza delivery boys !!!!

When I was here in the 90s, I imported an XTZ750 from the UK and used the bike for everything from commuting to gravel tracks and sands and pretty much most things except delivering pizza

Nowadays it seems there are a lot of cheap bikes around the Middle East and people have 2 or 3 bikes to have the right bike for whatever floats their boat that day........YZ125 at the motocross track, CRF450 in the Wahiba Sands and maybe something interesting like a Buell for day trips on the road.

I met someone who is importing a Triumph Triple and it seems relatively straightforward and not too expensive.

The local shops are not great but it is still a young market and they are getting better.

It seems all things are possible with a bit of lateral thinking and wasta ! I've just seen a mighty xr650r advertised and that "might" be the bike for me. But I'll probably go with the flow and get a CRF450X
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Oman Biker
Old but not slow!!

Oddometer: 6
KTM on its way

Well after months of pissing around I have finally got my KTM on it's way from Qatar . It should, as we speak, be winging its way here on a truck along with my CL 500. Got a really good deal from our shipping agent in Qatar and to get both here is only costing me 3500 QR. They should be in Muscat on the 17th or 18th March so if you see an orange 990 Adventure or white CL 500, both on Qatari plates, give me a yell.
And hopefully meet up with you guys for a coffee, chat and a ride somewhere.

Regarding dealers it may be worth looking at Al Fardan in Qatar. They are BMW, KTM, Ducati and Triumph dealers and always have a selection of new adventure bikes and the odd 2nd hand one. They have a used 1200GS at the moment. Dani Matouk is the sales guy and is a really nice bloke. PM me if you want his number or email. There was a rumour for a while that they were going to open up down here but not sure where that is at now.
Oman Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 168
I moved to Oman a couple of weeks ago. Top on the priority list was looking for a dual-sport/Adventure bike. I was hoping to nail home a GS too but unfortunately lady luck has slammed all doors shut! The Yamaha showroom guys said they will be launching the Super Ténéré post Eid in late August. Finger's crossed!!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
JeroenBerghuis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
ADV bike dealer Dubai

these guys have quite a lot of 2nd hand GSs and the odd 990:

http://www.2xwheeler.com
JeroenBerghuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
ElChico
East Yorks

Oddometer: 83
Very helpful!

Hi I just recently started work in Qatar, working and living in Al Khor about 50km north of Doha.I have visited Al Fardan motorcycles, very helpful and comapring prices with UK very good. So the BMW Sertao 650 is about £500 less here than UK. I was looking at buying something from them and then spotted a neat little Yam 225 XT. Got that and now the only hassle is parts. The Yam shop in Doha has tyres etc, but only had front wheel beraings. Am going to get streeing head races and chains and sprockets from Wemoto in the UK.
Not sure you need anything bigger than a 250 in a country the size of the Lake District...
If I get to Dubai on a visit I'll go check out the shops you mention. Thanks for the info.
The Yamaha shop in Doha is http://www.almushiri.com/

Kind regards
Colin
ElChico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChico View Post
I was looking at buying something from them and then spotted a neat little Yam 225 XT. Got that and now the only hassle is parts. The Yam shop in Doha has tyres etc, but only had front wheel beraings. Am going to get streeing head races and chains and sprockets from Wemoto in the UK.
bearings, fuel lines, nuts and bolts are generic parts which you will find at any auto/hardware shop and you don't have to wait for moto dealers who never have them in stock and also charge you 150-200% the prices. Look around in the "Sanaiyah" and you should be able to find bearing shops who will be able to get the right ones for your bike. Either give them the bearing number or take your old bearing to them.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote