Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #151
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
thats it ya shagged, Queensland Transport will make your life a misery and never let you register it. Only thing to do is ship it to your backward Eastern cousins. We will just fit one of our plates to it and use it.

Cops will never work it out as BMW's all look the same and we are all so respectable looking.

May even let you ride it if you come over, bu only if ya nice.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #152
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,640
Ok someone has to be an ass...might as well be me. Looking at your muffler, you've got like 3-4 different types of bolts and sizes, two dif allen heads one bolt, why not try and do them in the same size/style configuration. I say this cause I carry extra nuts and bolts in common sizes and it makes for carrying less spare fasteners and tools.

if it weren't for that it would be a bad ass bike
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #153
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Looking at your muffler, you've got like 3-4 different types of bolts and sizes, two dif allen heads one bolt, why not try and do them in the same size/style configuration.

Yeah, I wondered about that too, but it's the way Ray did it; I'll ask him next time I'm over there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #154
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,567
The allenheads holding on the rack are all the same. The hexhead by the peg is probably like that because and allenhead sticks out a bit more and might interfere with the boot. The large allenhead on the exhaust hanger is there because it's using an existing larger hole. That's my guess, anyway.

I don't think it's a big deal. You may want to take the rack off sometimes, but the exhaust usually stays on the bike. None of these bolts would normally come loose. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #155
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Dragged my trailer about 250 Km today in an attempt to register the bike. Everything was going swimmingly until Queensland Transport claimed that the VIN wasn't on their database and therefore the frame didn't exist as far as they were concerned. I will have to jump through hoops (but not until new year) to get things fixed.
I have obtained the information you require from my contacts at BMW Australia, you will have no trouble registering the bike now Dave.

John Olive (Bulldust)
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/AirheadsAustralia/
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #156
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

It appears, from the paperwork supplied by BMW Group Australia, that the frame was originally part of an white coloured R100GS, exactly as it is today, albeit with a bigger fuel tank. Ray got onto the "grey plate" people at Queensland Transport this morning, told them the story of the rebuild and was told that they are not interested in the bike whatsover. Tomorrow we try again.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #157
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

$24,000!!!........

Details to follow.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #158
Bulldust
Bulldust

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Details to follow.
Sounds about right, particularly given the Red Centre ignition system.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823543

AUSTRALIAN AIRHEADS

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/AirheadsAustralia/
Bulldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #159
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Congratulations

Does that mean you succeeded the fight with the authorities and can now ride the bike legally? That's all that matters the rest is only money.Congratulations to a bloody good looking bike.
cheers
Mike
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #160
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Thanks Mike. The stuff up with the rego was actually a typo on the part of the Qld transport person. I have since learnt that M/C VIN`s start with WB and the bloke who did the roadworthy wrote a Capital W and a small b which was put into the computer as a 6, so naturally it didn`t work.

With help from "Bulldust" we obtained a copy of the original papers from BMW Group Australia (although they were not needed in the end) and presented the bike to a closer Qld Transport office where the lady behind the counter picked up the mistake immediately and the bike was registered in a matter of minutes; they didn`t even want to inspect it.

Here are the specs:

Engine: All new Asymmetrical camshaft, timing chain kit, cam followers, Siebenrock 1000cc barrel and piston kit, valve guides, seats, rockers, rocker shafts, valve adjusters, twin plug (800) heads, main bearings, big end bearings, balanced con rods, big end bolts, rocker covers, seals/gaskets, clutch assembly with oil proof clutch, large oil cooler with thermal control, 32mm Bing carbs, rebuilt and re-jetted.

Engine Electrics: New upgraded high output alternator, upgraded Valeo starter, RED CENTRE ignition with spare trigger, twin plug coils and leads, oil pressure switch, upgraded starter motor, Motobatt battery.

Gearbox: New helical gears, 5% lower first, 5% higher fifth gears, 6 bearing kit, modified output shaft, seals and gasket, clutch thrust bearing, thrust boot, clutch arm bearing, neutral switch.

Swingarm, final drive: New swingarm paralever final drive bearings and seals, rebuidable driveshaft, swingarm and bevel box boots.

Frame-Suspension-Brakes-Wheels: New fork seals and bushes, steering head bearings, space blue powder coated frame, fork sliders, sub frame, new front wheel stainless spokes, brake disc, 4 pot caliper, standard rear wheel w/- stainless spokes, new brake shoes/cable, Bitubo rear shock, Fastway footpegs, shortened gear lever, Surefoot side stand, new centre stand and pivots, new original pannier rack.

Handlebars, levers, switches, cables, wiring harness, heated grips, mirrors, all new, genuine BMW.

Body: White low front guard, rear guard, 35 litre R100GSPD tank, Britannia Composites Lynx fairing. Acewell electronic speedo w/- fabricated dash.

Lighting: Twin headlights, R1200GS LED indicators, new original tail light w/- LED bulb, Narva daytime running lamp.

Exhaust: Keihan headers and two into one, fabricated connector pipe to muffler with alloy brackets.

Plus heaps of stuff that Ray has forgotten about and hasn`t charged me for.

When it stops being so dammed hot in this neck of the woods I will take some nice piccies and put them up.

gsd4me screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 06:58 PM
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #161
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Took delivery on Wednesday.....

......and first ride today. Seating position is very cramped for me, but we knew it would be. I'll be getting the seat raised first, then work on handlebar height. I have owned airheads and I have owned oil heads, but I have never ridden one that runs so well with so few Kilometres (around 250 now) and has such a light, smooth gear change, even with the revs hanging up a but when I release the throttle. Tight as the engine is, this bike just wants to rev and I'll have to keep an eye on it or my license will be in jeopardy.

Neat bracket.

Idiot lights rearranged so key doesn't obscure them.

Well, that's it. Been quite some time coming, but it was well worth it. Nothing like getting a professional job done to get it right the first time. Thank you very much Ray.

gsd4me screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 01:56 AM
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #162
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
very very very nice.

the pannier frames i have added another bit of tube from front to top of square frame bracket. also had all the joints gussetted. this stiffened up the whole bracket system.

well done. Steve

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #163
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

They only have to support my Andy Strapz soft bags, which I will strap on as well, hopefully that will be adequate. If not we can always beef them up a bit.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #164
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Dave, that's not a truck, it is a real GS, harden up princess she not having AC but character, the seat is OK and your bum will get used to it. she is like a German Sheppard, characterful, fast but also your best mate. love here as she is and she will take you everywhere and back. Bikes like here did win PD.
Quote:
......and first ride today. Seating position is very cramped for me, but we knew it would be. I'll be getting the seat raised first, then work on handlebar height. I have owned airheads and I have owned oil heads, but I have never ridden one that runs so well with so few Kilometres (around 250 now) and has such a light, smooth gear change, even with the revs hanging up a but when I release the throttle. Tight as the engine is, this bike just wants to rev and I'll have to keep an eye on it or my license will be in jeopardy.

Neat bracket.

Idiot lights rearranged so key doesn't obscure them.

Well, that's it. Been quite some time coming, but it was well worth it. Nothing like getting a professional job done to get it right the first time. Thank you very much Ray.
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #165
gsd4me OP
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
Dave, that's not a truck, it is a real GS, harden up princess she not having AC but character, the seat is OK and your bum will get used to it. she is like a German Sheppard, characterful, fast but also your best mate. love here as she is and she will take you everywhere and back. Bikes like here did win PD.

I have a crook knee and need a very relaxed hip/knee angle to stop things cramping up on anything over 100Km. I also have a whiplash injury and need to sit fairly upright to keep my head level. I was aware that the seat would have to be modified when I bought it and it does seem a waste, but I need the base to build my perfect seat upon.

Every bike I've owned for the last 12 years or so has had the seat done and I know exactly what I need; I go to local bloke, John Moorhouse who is very cluey and makes my seats as I want them. With the correct seat, handlebar height, and screen I am able to do 1000Km days easily, and front up the next day and do more.

I can be a fussy prick, but I know what I need.

gsd4me screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 05:16 AM