User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Nolan n104 on the way

Spoke to Cimi, the US Nolan distributors. I bought my helmet directly from them at he Chicago show. I've been waiting impatiently for it's arrival, although it's not quite riding season here (for me , at least). Apparently, some of the weather issues in Italy slowed down production. However, they are on the boat, and expect to ship sometime next week. Woohoo!

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,672
fyi...if you ever need to call them about something (they are really helpful to work with over the phone) their company name is "CIMA" and they are located outside of chicago.....
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Great news...I have mine on pre-order from Revzilla and am really looking forward to seeing it soon!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Just got an email from Revzilla,, my N104 has shipped.. interested in comparing it to the Shoei and Schuberth at my local dealers.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Just got an email from Revzilla,, my N104 has shipped.. interested in comparing it to the Shoei and Schuberth at my local dealers.
Wow, I have not heard from Revzilla, but mine cannot be too far behind!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,830
Well crap, I got all excited about the N104's beginning to ship, so I checked my order status and my size/color is now showing "Out of Stock" instead of "Late March".

I've not dealt with Revzilla much. How good are they about keeping you informed on availability and bumped/projected shipping dates?
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Well crap, I got all excited about the N104's beginning to ship, so I checked my order status and my size/color is now showing "Out of Stock" instead of "Late March".

I've not dealt with Revzilla much. How good are they about keeping you informed on availability and bumped/projected shipping dates?
This is my first preorder/backorder situation with them... so no experience.. They have a great reputation for customer service though.. what size/color did you order?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,830
Platinum Silver XL
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Platinum Silver XL
I would call competition accesories and other Nolan dealers.. if you didnt make the first cut for the backorders it may be awhile before the next shipment comes in... well I would call Revzilla first.. but other dealers have them listed for the same price and they may have on in stock.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post

I did the comparison and I don't think it compares even remotely from weight to finish.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
[/B]

I did the comparison and I don't think it compares even remotely from weight to finish.
Well I would agree based upon past Nolan helmets,, they seem less substantial than the resin composite shelled helmets like Shoei, Arai and Schuberth. However, this "feel" does not translate into actual performance, as the Nolan N103 and N90 outperformed the schuberth and the Multitec in safety testing. That is just the nature of the polycarbonate helmet shell. I can deal with a helmet that "feels" cheaper than the helmets that cost twice as much but dont perform twice as well. As for weight the Shoei Neotec Large weighs 1812 grams, the Schuberth C3 1709 grams and the N104 weighs 1741 grams. So heavier than the torture device known as the C3 but lighter than the new Neotec. Those weight differences are about 1 ounce to 1.5 ounces.. I know that I cant feel that difference on my nogin... hell I have lost that much hair in the last couple of years.. everything now equals out :)

mrt10x screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 11:23 AM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
WacoDirtryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Cima has the worst customer service on the planet unless your buying something from them wait till you have trouble with that crap they sell then it will be a different story Joe at Cima will have a another tune I promise you.
WacoDirtryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
My n104 and bluetooth set arrived yesterday. The fit and finish are excellent. Can't wait to start using it, hopefully tomorrow.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
My n104 and Bluetooth set arrived yesterday. The fit and finish are excellent. Can't wait to start using it, hopefully tomorrow.

David
have mine on my noggin right now.. at work.. in my office.. trying to decide if I am L or XL.. I am always right between.. You got the Nolan Bluetooth setup?

The helmet feels and looks very much like the 103. Like I said earlier, a Nolan will never "feel" as nice as a Shoei or a Schuberth because of the different construction methods and materials. The shoei and schuberth are composite construction while the Nolan is injected polycarbonate and lexan... which just feels "cheaper" than the solid construction of the higher priced helmets. Of course this is just "feel" and the Nolan helmets have outperformed the other two in independent safety tests.... so either get over the feel or dont,,, it is meaningless when it comes to performance.

I would say the N104 is definitely a more "round" helmet than the 103, or it could be that I bought a L in the 104 but had a XL in the 103.

I do like the ability to lock the chinbar up, which will be a nice function when riding through towns with mutiple stoplights etc.

Ride report to follow.

mrt10x screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 03:54 PM
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Ok.. got to ride for about 45 minutes after work.. temp was around 42 degrees so I could tell that there were zero leaks. No air in around the vents when closed, no seepage around the shield or the seem for the chinbar. The chin curtain sealed up everything down below.. very pleases with that, and the helmet is definitely quieter than the N103 I had before. I dont think it is as quiet as the Schuberth I tested a couple of months ago, but I am ok with that. I hated the way the Schuberth felt closed off, so I guess I just like a little ambient noise in my helmets. It is definitely quieter than my Arai XD3 as well.

I deleted my above post about the face shield. I thought the first indent was almost an inch open.. turns out you can crack the shield just off the gasket and it keeps the face shield relatively fog free. I didnt need the Pinlock insert that comes with the helmet. Now in truly cold temps, under 30 degrees, I would install the pinlock.

The interesting thing on the face shield is that it is freaking HUGE. I kept reaching up to close the chinbar and realized I had only opened the shield. Seriously I am not sure a modular chinbar is necessary with a face shield this big.

The chinbar locks up tight with almost no effort.. on the N103 it could be bit finicky.. I was wearing thick Gerbings gloves and I was able to close the chinbar with on hand, no problem. I also could easily manipulate the sun shield controls.

I did mount my Scala G4 on the helmet. I used the double sticky tape that I used on the Nolan N103 with my older Scala rider. In the three years I used this setup on the 103, the sticky tape only failed once, when I snagged it the mount on a tree branch. On the other hand, with the way they configured the controls for the sunshield, I had to place the G4 so far back the boom mike barely reaches. Unfortunately, I dont thing the Scala makes a "long boom" mic like they did for the old Scala Rider, so I think the Nolan comm system may be in my future. We will see.

anything I missed?