mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182

Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,767
Whoo Hoo !!

Received an email this afternoon saying my N-104 which had been showing "Out of Stock" is shipping tomorrow with free upgrade to 2-day service so I should have it to ride with this weekend.

If all goes well I'll post a review Sunday or Monday.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post

Did Nolan stop making the compartment for their bluetooths or are they making them for the giant tv remote othe side? Looks like theyll be quieter without the bluetooth compartment.

Hikertrash screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 05:48 PM
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #20
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
Did Nolan stop making the compartment for their bluetooths or are they making them for the giant tv remote othe side? Looks like theyll be quiter without the dude compartment.
I dont know what a dude compartment is .. nor do I understand what the giant tv remote othe side means?? However, you can see that they have redesigned the NComm system specifically for the N104. Looks like the mic comes out of the right side now, and the antenna is on the back of the helmet.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Here are my first impressions. My previous helmet was a Shoei Multi-Tec I've had for nearly 4 years now so the bar was fairly high. I would have opted for the Neo-Tec except Shoei pretty much priced themselves out of my market with it.

Fit and Finish - Good, slightly tight right now but I expected that and think it will be perfect with more use. My head measures 24.25" and I went with an XL. The polycarb. vs. composite doesn't bother or concern me.

Buckle - I love it. Head and shoulders above the D-Rings

Function - Chin guard release, buckle release, vents switches, and sun visor release/auto-retract all work good and were fairly intuitive.

Visibility - Fantastic both with and without the internal visor down. Don't know if I'll get use to glancing in the mirror and seeing the big wide grin the GS brings to my face or not. Optics are great, but we are talking about a brand spanking new visor at this point.

Noise - Decent, but I believe it's slightly nosier than the Multi-Tec which I thought was pretty noisy. I might have to go back to wearing plugs which I had pretty much gotten away from since adding the Touratech spoiler.

Weight - Good. Might be slightly heavier than the Shoei but haven't weighed yet. (update - apparently my imagination on that)

Air flow - Not as good as the Shoei, but the first ride was with both the chin curtain and neck pad in place. I'll try again without both and see (if it doesn't make it too noisy)

Now for the major design flaw and this is a big one for me - I typically ride with my Shoei's visor open slightly. With the N-104 you can un-snap it from the closed position which offers a very slight crack, but the next position seems like it maybe 1/2 - 1 " with nothing in between. Riding at highway speed with the visor open to that first actual position and with such a large visor caused too much vibration of the visor to ride that way. Maybe I will get use to this, especially if it "un-snapped" combined with the inside pin lock which I haven't installed yet will keep me fog free on cold mornings.

One more thing to note is that I normally ride with a Sylks cap since the Shoei's liner was not removable. Since the Nolan's liner is removable and washable, maybe riding without the cap will help make up for the difference (or at my perceived difference) in air flow.

mb90535im screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 03:11 PM
Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

I commented on the visor opening a couple of posts back,, but I deleted it after riding with the helmet during a couple of cold days..w/o the pinlock installed and the helmet just "unlatched" from the completely closed position, not open to the first "detent" the shield stayed fog free. If I completely sealed the shield then it fogged up.. I was shocked at how well just unlatching the shield from the sealed position worked. I havent even installed the pinlock yet. According to webbikeworlds weights the N104 is just slightly lighter than the multitec which was lighter than the neotec.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I dont know what a dude compartment is .. nor do I understand what the giant tv remote othe side means?? However, you can see that they have redesigned the NComm system specifically for the N104. Looks like the mic comes out of the right side now, and the antenna is on the back of the helmet.

Dude compartment? Where are you getting that from? I said Bluetooth compartment

The tv remote comment was referring to the huge box on the side of the helmet. I've not seen any bluetooths that large before.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
Did Nolan stop making the compartment for their bluetooths or are they making them for the giant tv remote othe side? Looks like theyll be quiter without the dude compartment.
I think that's an aftermarket intercom. I saw "dude compartment" also. see above.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Earlier in the thread I said that I had attached my Scala G4 to the helmet until the Nolan system was available.. so that would be the Scala G4. Your post still says dude compartment.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Earlier in the thread I said that I had attached my Scala G4 to the helmet until the Nolan system was available.. so that would be the Scala G4. Your post still says dude compartment.
Thanks for the clarification. Just saw dude compartment comment. Damn autocorrect.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

I would keep the Scala on there,,but the mic wont reach a useable position.. I have been using it on my Arai XD3 for a year with no problems.. I never really noticed just how huge it was until you mentioned it... thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Have had a 102 and 103 now have the 104.

First ride with a new 104............

Noise better than 103............ but still will wear ear protection

Sizing (XXL) about the same as the 103. There is more room in the "ear pockets" but the tighter in the upper jaw area. Most likely trying to reduce the noise.....might improve with break in.

Fit in the chin area more than the 103 far more than the old multitec which for me was too close. Schuberth are too tight on my forehead 103 and 104 fit my forehead with no pain out of the box

As mentioned by others, shield now lacks the ability to open just slightly, first detent is open too far compared to the 103. Too early to tell if it is a big concern. I liked air flow with shield slightly open on 103 no can do on the 104.

Certain conditions cause the shield to vibrate in the open positions.....never had that with the 103 too early to tell and will need to try on different bikes. Behind the tall winter screen on the TA no problem......get off to the side in rough air shield vibration was worse, closed but not latched or latched no problems.

Weight is better but I never a real concern prior 103.

Sun visor on the 103 can be set in any position, 104 is either all up or all down. So far not a concern.

Ventilation too early to judge but better than 103. But it was a cool night and the top of head was not too cold
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

I really can't imagine what they were thinking on the 1st detent of shield opening being so wide. That one little issue is starting to bug me so I'm looking for a solution.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #30
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
I really can't imagine what they were thinking on the 1st detent of shield opening being so wide. That one little issue is starting to bug me so I'm looking for a solution.

+2 me too

Edit: Found with the shield in all the open positions air flow through the helmet venting system is all but stop by the change in pressure. I don't think this a 104 only condition all helmets will do this but the 104 top scoop vent does really work well at speed.

With the larger shield the solar gain (heat) seems higher so at low speeds the shield open slightly.......with the pinlock in place the pinlock seam is distracting with the shield in the first detent ....another reason to find a smaller open detent work around.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote