Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #46
BeerIsGood

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpty dumpty View Post
+1
I've been teased about my helmet, but never got a compliment, so I figure it's pretty safe.
I used to take it with me when I went to a movie, but the last time I went they wanted to hold my helmet and daypack in their office while I watched a movie. Did I mention that was the last time?
WTF? They will let Fu@king Star Wars geeks bring their stupid Darth Vader helmets, capes, and other shit that guarantees they will never get laid into the theater, but they deny an actual motorcycle helmet? Thats just wrong man!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #47
BeeJay
Illegal Clicker

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Here:

Or here:

Ron
That's such a great idea: to put it on the back of the Pelican case. It looks like I've got a simple bike mod ahead of me. Thanks for the thought!
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #48
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 885
Another vote for pacsafe.

I generally take my helmet with me, but if I do leave it on the bike, I use a small bicycle lock to secure it to the passenger grab rail. I don't hang it upside down though, it sits right-side up on the passenger seat with the cable through the chin bar, not the strap.

The pacsafe is excellent for travels. I own a Teiz 1 piece, and the minute you stop riding, that suit heats up fast. I can strip down next to the bike, roll it up, and secure everything to the bike with the PacSafe 80 that I got a number of years ago. It won't keep it safe from the elements, but certainly prevents someone from wandering off with it while I get lunch, etc.

I also just got some 25L waterproof backpacks from Overboard. I haven't used these yet, but I think it will be a good option with the pacsafe for stowing my jacket and helment.
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #49
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
I now use a cable lock for everything. I had a helmet stolen, Missouri is a helmet law state. Riding to the nearest bike shop to buy a new one I was stopped. I explained my helmet was stolen, and I had to ride to get a new one. The cop followed me to the bike shop, and when I left he was parked hidden. Good thing they had one that fit me. Lucky I did not get a ticket.

I never leave the helmet on a foot peg like some guys do. Saw a dog mark the bike and helmet once. I bet that was a shock.

Laid mine on the ground once for about 10 minutes, damn ants. I was at home, so I put the helmet in the freezer to kill them and used the old helmet.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #50
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
I don't lock my helmet and lately I've started hanging it from the left side passenger footpeg. It's a little concealed. Besides, I feel that helmets are like underwear and I AIN'T wearing anybody's else's used underwear. If you need my helmet that bad, you're welcome to it. I've used lots of helmets over the years, and right now, my helmet is a $50 Bell from Walmart. It fits better than any other helmet I've ever had. It's a little noisy but comfortable. I'd like another HJC or a dual sport style, but that will be a while, I think. Anyway, no lock here...
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
Laconic
Let's Get Primitive!

Oddometer: 14,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
If you knew how easy it was to get though these little cables and locks you would not bother.
The idea is to deter the casual douchebag thief. Nothing is impregnable, obviously.

Cable lock for me.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #52
UnbendableGirder
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
I also just got some 25L waterproof backpacks from Overboard. I haven't used these yet, but I think it will be a good option with the pacsafe for stowing my jacket and helment.
I use one of these packs to carry all my shit to school/back from the store/ or wherever else i need to go. I love them! once you get them adjusted right they're fairly comfortable too. My last one almost survived me being t-boned and launched, only had a couple scuffs and one teeny tiny pinhole. I couldn't get my old helmet in there, but my new one is a bit less bulky so I'm gonna have to try that out..

But as for securing my helmet, I secure it in my hand as i walk away from the bike. Thinking about getting a cable lock for summer though
UnbendableGirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #53
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 798
Either in the topbox (Jesse) or if no space in topbox, a gun lock through the helmet D-ring / right hand guard.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #54
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
I got one of these at the motorcycle show:

I wouldn't trust it if the bike was somewhere where a criminal would have time to mess with it, but it should be good enough for most situations.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #55
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 760
Top box or Tourpak, out of sight, out of mind.
Both hold two full face for Two-Up ride stops.

I don't have a helmet lock on my 640 ADV but no one has ever touched my lid when stopped.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #56
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,494
Once you're out riding why would you ever want to be far enough away from the bike that security becomes a problem?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #57
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
i just lock my helmet to my rack and just close the visor as much as i can if its rainning and its allway dry in side. or if i have the panniers fitted it goes in them. for when i goe to the shops or at work or collage.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #58
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Once you're out riding why would you ever want to be far enough away from the bike that security becomes a problem?
Because some of us don't use our bikes as toys?

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote