Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
klrider99 OP
I know a shortcut........

Oddometer: 28
Question Camping along Bay of Fundy in NB?

I'll be riding through NB along the Bay of Fundy this summer, destination North Sydney, NS. Does anyone know of any nice campgrounds, private or provincial, along the shore area? Thanks!
klrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
fellowsja
Momma's Boy

Oddometer: 102
St. Andrews is an old school NB summer holiday town and worth a stop.

http://www.kiwanisoceanfrontcamping.com/

The best tent area is along the left of the road, just before the check-in cantina. There aren't any trees, but your neighbors would be a ways away and you're 1st row Bay of Fundy, which makes the line of sight to your neighbors worthwhile.

Reservations well in advance are recommended. Beer store in town closes early, make sure you plan accordingly.

If you find yourself around the Bay to the NS side, "the Cove" outside Annapolis Royal is pretty sweet too (ask for private, oceanfront).

I stayed there this past summer, I wanted to stay more nights but had boats to catch...

Happy trails.

Jason
Atlanta

p.s. If you're riding from VA to N. Sydney, you should consider catching the boat at Saint John NB/ Digby NS at least 1 way to N. Sydney. The Nova Scotia Annapolis Valley is not to be missed (there are some great sights and roads)...you won't regret including it at least 1 way.

p.p.s. Hope you're not turning around in N. Sydney! The best is across the other side...

fellowsja screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 07:20 AM
fellowsja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Try sending a PM to: Fundy Rider.

Nice guy that stayed with us a couple years ago as he traveled on his KLR. He lives on the Bay of Fundy. He does not post a lot, but it looks like he is still active here.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
firefighter651
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
What's in North Sydney.
firefighter651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
fellowsja
Momma's Boy

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter651 View Post
What's in North Sydney.
The boat to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland departs from North Sydney (check out Marine Atlantic).

There are a ton more back roads to get lost on in Nova Scotia, but the OP was from VA, it'd be a shame if he rode all the way up to N. Sydney, turned around and missed the most unique part of North America....
fellowsja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
firefighter651
Adventurer

I know, I live in North Sydney.I was just taken back by him saying that he was coming here,because most will say were going to Newfoundland.Now if he wanted to do some flyfishing or wants some very good dirt or back roads,then maybe I can help.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
klrider99 OP

Thanks guys for the replies and suggestions.

Yeah, North Sydney isn't my "final" destination, the ferry to NFLD is. I just need to camp somewhere in NB so I can have time to catch the ferry, hopefully on the evening crossing. Wish that I had more time to explore NS back roads. Will be crossing over to Labrador, then riding over to Baie Comeau.

The St. John-Digby ferry looks really nice, will look into that. I may be meeting up with an Ontario friend in NB, plans are still in early stages. Looking at late August to be riding through the area.

When we rode this trip (opposite way) nine years ago we camped in Antigonish at, I think, a municipal campground there, but can't remember the name. It was pretty nice, and convenient. Anyone know the name of it? Whiddens pops up on a search but doesn't sound familiar??

Cheers,

Pat
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,136
I camped at Fundy National Park. Nice place right on the bay!

Entrance to the park.

My camp site there.

Walking distance to the town of Alma.

BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
firefighter651
Adventurer

BMW Kurt is right with Fundy,if you need anything let me know.Maybe Oasis Motel&campground 1-800-929-1998.

firefighter651 screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 02:11 PM
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
It's a long haul from anywhere in NB to Sydney, if you can get into NS (the further the better) for the haul to the ferry it's much easier. I live just outside Wolfville in the Annapolis Valley and it's a really really long day to get to the Newfoundland ferry from here in a day.

Cheers Slowphil

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Kurt's right on about Fundy National Park -- they have several nice campgrounds there. There's also a nice one at New River Beach Provincial Park a short distance west of Saint John, NB.

And Slowphil's right, it is a pretty long haul from the Saint John or Moncton area to North Sydney. And while you're in Cape Breton, you really should take the time to ride the Cabot Trail. So my advice would be to camp in Fundy National Park, then ride up along the western part of the Cabot Trail and camp the next night at Meat Cove, then ride the eastern part of the Cabot Trail and head over to North Sydney to catch the ferry.

Don't forget to make your ferry reservations in advance. Apparently that ferry has been filling up.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
klrider99 OP

Thanks again for the replies, guys.

Kurt, those camping pix make me wish I was there right now. Looks like a nice place. Making my list already.

Mark, I'm a lurker on the Tiger 800 page and have enjoyed your posts. It is a great machine!

Last time we came through we did ride down to Meat Cove but didn't camp. That may work into our schedule this time. Looks like an evening crossing to NFLD on 27 August is likely. Will firm up plans and make reservations soon; yeah, I've heard about the need for tickets well in advance.

The campground in downtown Antigonish was Whiddens: not as scenic as some but very convenient. Also close to the Canadien Tire where I found a new battery for the KLR.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
fivetimeson129
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Did this few years back, you will love it-ditto what everyone has said about the Provincial Parks. While we were gassing up in Alma, NB a tour bus operator came over and asked questions about our bike, said he had a K75 and was thinking of a GS. I said that we were going to eat and tossed the keys to him, we had a great eat at the Inn across the street from the pumps and from the look on his face he had equally an enjoyable time.

We exchaged email addresses, best wishes and he left us with this advice:

'you will watch out for the rcmp, yes my friend?'

then gave us some info about this ride:

http://flatwicksetc.homestead.com/goosebay.html
fivetimeson129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
klrider99 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetimeson129 View Post
We exchaged email addresses, best wishes and he left us with this advice:

'you will watch out for the rcmp, yes my friend?'

Good advice! The rcmp, AKA rtc (roving tax collectors), seem to be about anywhere. One of them I met at a traffic stop in the boonies was rather cute, but when she got her face up near my faceshield she was really sniffing for alcohol, not looking for a date.

then gave us some info about this ride:

http://flatwicksetc.homestead.com/goosebay.html

Sounds like they had a good time, though imagine they wished for different bikes on Lab 500.

I liked the ride on the Sir Robert Bond from Goose Bay/Happy Valley but glad we no longer have to plan around the every-three-day ride.

Part of the great fun of travelling by bike are the nice folks one meets along the way.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,151
Whycocomagh is a Prov Park within a couple hours of the ferry, stayed there and at Cape Breton which is also within reasonable striking distance. Great campsite in Gros Morne on the Rock.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote