ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #76
VerdiBaritone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Just did a modified route here

We did most of the NNET in a long day. Created a nice workaround for the Dartmouth grant by turning north up and around on parmachenee road once we crossed into Maine. No gate issues and great long unpaved stretches. The recent rain didnt effect things much for us on an F800 with Heideneau and a GSA with Karoo 3s.

Spent the night in the Sugarloaf area before a long ride back toward the Adirondacks (on pavement) the next day. Very enjoyable.

Italian opera. German motorcycles.
VerdiBaritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #77
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,617
Nice. We were up that way a couple of weeks ago, and did exactly the same thing. Went up Cedar Stream, then the Magalloway Road and wound our way over to the Parmachenee road. Despite the rains, the roads are in excellent shape in most places. With good tires, you can easily do 45 - 50 without much sweat. Watch for wildlife. I had a two-foot brush with a large deer not far off the Parmachenee Road. Stick to the right and keep your sight lines clear. There are plenty of people from "away" that are taking their half out of the middle or even over on your side.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:47 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #78
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
Just imported all the tracks from the first page, and plan on doing this rt in the next 4 weeks or so. Whenever I can get away. Are the tracks still accurate? Any changes?

I'll be leaving RI, heading to the TMT->PDR->NNEA->??? Depending on time, I'll wind my way back home, or slab it. Still not sure how long I can get away with being gone, but that's the plan so far!

Cheers
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #79
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,385
Your gonna like it.
Mallowgay Mountain is very cool. There is gas and food (general store) once you hit the pavement in Maine.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #80
Stellario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
advisible to ride alone on Northern New England Adventure Trail?

Hello:

I am planning to spend a few days riding in New England this week and wanted to ride some sections of the Northern New England Adventure Trail, but I am traveling alone. Any sections that I should avoid? I am fairly experiences off road but not an "expert"

Thanks for the advice,

Stellario
Stellario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #81
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,385
No. Very easy to ride.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #82
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

It's a clean route, and fairly well traveled at this time of year. I had an electrical problem on the Magalloway a few weeks ago, and got all kinds of help from a guy who was up fly-fishing from Georgia.

It is however largely without cell coverage, and at times far away from any cheap rescue. If you're traveling with a windbreaker and titanium card, I'd place my trust in the windbreaker; it doesn't matter what your limit is. Bring spares, tools, and ride safe and sane and it's a pretty good time.

One of my constant worries about this route is the legalities. They change all the time. I've just taken the attitude that it's better to apologize than to ask permission. The Maine wardens are the primary law-enforcement up there. If you're obviously not a dick, aware of your situation, and wearing gear, they'll give you a pat on the wrist, and let you ride out to the next legal junction, if you keep a civil tongue. They have bigger fish to fry.

Enforcement is extremely light.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #83
Stellario
Adventurer

thanks for the replies

will ride it this weekend.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #84
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

The store Dockingpilot refers to is here:

http://www.mtdustancountrystore.com/‎

You can buy good steaks there. (You cook 'em.)

Awesomely HUGE pulled-pork sandwich.

A clean and cheap place to stay is Littlehale's Aziscoos Valley Camping Area:

http://www.visitmaine.com/organizati..._camping_area/

Say "hi" to Norman and his wife for me. Great place, and they are very generous with the firewood.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #85
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellario View Post
will ride it this weekend.
Post back on road conditions!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #86
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Post back on road conditions!
X2... I'm considering it for a ride we're doing in two weeks...
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #87
Stellario
Adventurer

report on ride

This past weekend I have travelled the second section of the trail from Sutton to Eustis. I peeled off there since it was getting dark and I was not equipped to camp. It was a fantastic ride. Road conditions were perfect and I was able to travel at 30 to 40 mph the entire time. Someone less interested in the scenery and/or a better rider than me could mostly likely go faster but what a waste it would be! The road goes through amazing wilderness and I enjoyed every second of it.
I only wish I had more time and that I was not traveling alone. It is not easy to leave the trail, find non camping accommodations and get back on it the next day. I would love to complete the entire trail and I would welcome and even be willing to pay for a guided group ride. In the fall this must be magnificent.
Thank you Canuman for putting this together. If you are ever in NJ let me know. I owe you a drink to say the least. Heck, let's make it dinner.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #88
Stellario
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellario View Post
This past weekend I have travelled the second section of the trail from Sutton to Eustis. I peeled off there since it was getting dark and I was not equipped to camp. It was a fantastic ride. Road conditions were perfect and I was able to travel at 30 to 40 mph the entire time. Someone less interested in the scenery and/or a better rider than me could mostly likely go faster but what a waste it would be! The road goes through amazing wilderness and I enjoyed every second of it.
I only wish I had more time and that I was not traveling alone. It is not easy to leave the trail, find non camping accommodations and get back on it the next day. I would love to complete the entire trail and I would welcome and even be willing to pay for a guided group ride. In the fall this must be magnificent.
Thank you Canuman for putting this together. If you are ever in NJ let me know. I owe you a drink to say the least. Heck, let's make it dinner.
PS: I was riding a 2005 GS 1200 with TCK80 on it
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #89
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
I think Docking Pilot pioneered most of this route a few years back. Had lots of help from Maine riders and a New Brunswick club if I remember. Click on his link from his post.
Much of the route is Dockingpilot's. I worked on the western sections to connect it to the PDR. There is a direct connection to the puppy at North Troy. If it's missing, I can repost it.

Writing a GPS track has little glory. You pick up the pieces, clean them up,and go on. I never disrespected Dockingpilot , and I feel that credit has been given where credit is due.

Canuman screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:01 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #90
meatwagon1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
heading out Labor Day Weekend.

will be riding some of the puppy trail in VT (ridden it a bunch already) to Lake Willoughby Friday/Saturday. Then Monday will be hitting the Summit to Forks, going to camp at Moosehead lake. There I think I'll stay for a day or two and do some rides from there. Then I'll make my own route to Acadia national Park. Would love to have company if someone is around.
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote