ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #91
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,591
If you need a place to camp, the Palace of the People is open. 6.5 miles from Willoughby, and ADV friendly. PM me for coordinates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
will be riding some of the puppy trail in VT (ridden it a bunch already) to Lake Willoughby Friday/Saturday. Then Monday will be hitting the Summit to Forks, going to camp at Moosehead lake. There I think I'll stay for a day or two and do some rides from there. Then I'll make my own route to Acadia national Park. Would love to have company if someone is around.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #92
meatwagon1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Gloucester, MA
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
If you need a place to camp, the Palace of the People is open. 6.5 miles from Willoughby, and ADV friendly. PM me for coordinates.
thx, I have a place right on Willoughby to stay. Would love some Guidance for camping in ME though. It will be my first venture to the Summit/Forks part of the route. Do you think I can make it in a day from Burke to Moosehead lake? looks like a full 8-10 hour ride.
__________________
2013 BMW f800gs
2012 KTM 300 xc-w
http://www.youtube.com/user/shamychubby?feature=mhee
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #93
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,591
It's quite doable with an early start. I highly recommend Lilly Bay state park for camping. It's a spectacular location if you are stopping in Greenville. Otherwise, try to stay at Northern Outdoors in The Forks if they have space. Because of the rafting trips in this area, camping in The Forks tends to be very expensive. Northern has a nice pub on site, and in my experience is a cut above many of the other outfitters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
thx, I have a place right on Willoughby to stay. Would love some Guidance for camping in ME though. It will be my first venture to the Summit/Forks part of the route. Do you think I can make it in a day from Burke to Moosehead lake? looks like a full 8-10 hour ride.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 09:15 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #94
meatwagon1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Gloucester, MA
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
It's quite doable with an early start. I highly recommend Lily Bay state park for camping. It's a spectacular location if you are stopping in Greenville. Otherwise, try to stay at Northern Outdoors in The Forks if they have space. Because of the rafting trips in this area, camping in The Forks tends to be very expensive. Northern has a nice pub on site, and in my experience is a cut above many of the other outfitters.
thx for the info. Anything along the way good camping if I take my time?
__________________
2013 BMW f800gs
2012 KTM 300 xc-w
http://www.youtube.com/user/shamychubby?feature=mhee
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #95
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,591
Aziscoos Valley Camping Area in Wilson's Mills, ME is great. It's owned by Norman Littlehale and his wife, and they are fantastic people.

There are a couple of campgrounds in Eustis, but I have no experience with them.

Rangely Lake State Park is nice, but a little off-route.

There are opportunities to stealth camp on side roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
thx for the info. Anything along the way good camping if I take my time?
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #96
meatwagon1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Gloucester, MA
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Aziscoos Valley Camping Area in Wilson's Mills, ME is great. It's owned by Norman Littlehale and his wife, and they are fantastic people.

There are a couple of campgrounds in Eustis, but I have no experience with them.

Rangely Lake State Park is nice, but a little off-route.

There are opportunities to stealth camp on side roads.
awesome thanks. Looking forward for a week on my bike. I am most likely going to explore from moosehead lake. I'll let you know what I find.

here is a clip from the lower Puppy trail in April.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNs4...qBDMKv8QhrrNww
__________________
2013 BMW f800gs
2012 KTM 300 xc-w
http://www.youtube.com/user/shamychubby?feature=mhee
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #97
meatwagon1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Gloucester, MA
Oddometer: 60
Hey Canuman,

I have the option to carry extra water or extra full on the back of my panniers. Is fuel pretty accessible along the ME part of the trail? I get about 200 miles per tank.
__________________
2013 BMW f800gs
2012 KTM 300 xc-w
http://www.youtube.com/user/shamychubby?feature=mhee
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #98
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,591
You should be fine. I always like to carry extra fuel for an emergency, but the legs aren't that long. Just remember to fill up when you have an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
Hey Canuman,

I have the option to carry extra water or extra full on the back of my panniers. Is fuel pretty accessible along the ME part of the trail? I get about 200 miles per tank.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #99
meatwagon1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Gloucester, MA
Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
You should be fine. I always like to carry extra fuel for an emergency, but the legs aren't that long. Just remember to fill up when you have an opportunity.
thats what i usually do. some parts of maine can be tough if running low on fuel, that's why I asked about that. I most likely will bring my 3L can to be safe.
__________________
2013 BMW f800gs
2012 KTM 300 xc-w
http://www.youtube.com/user/shamychubby?feature=mhee
meatwagon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #100
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,591
It's always better to have fuel and not need it than otherwise. I just got back from Newfoundland, where we all carried seven liters on the tail rack. It didn't come into play except for torching off the evening camp fire, but it was a big comfort on the long stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
thats what i usually do. some parts of maine can be tough if running low on fuel, that's why I asked about that. I most likely will bring my 3L can to be safe.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #101
guymanbro
da Vermonster
 
guymanbro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Suburb of Podunk
Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
will be riding some of the puppy trail in VT (ridden it a bunch already) to Lake Willoughby Friday/Saturday. Then Monday will be hitting the Summit to Forks, going to camp at Moosehead lake. There I think I'll stay for a day or two and do some rides from there. Then I'll make my own route to Acadia national Park. Would love to have company if someone is around.
Ha! Good running into you on the road Meatwagon. (I was the one on the GasGas with ET-VT and VTBeemer on their WR250s). Hope you found a good way around the closed roads.
__________________
da Vermonster
http://www.kirstyrock.com

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #102
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
It's quite doable with an early start.
You mean 9:55 or so?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #103
8gv
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: North central CT
Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon1 View Post
awesome thanks. Looking forward for a week on my bike. I am most likely going to explore from moosehead lake. I'll let you know what I find.

here is a clip from the lower Puppy trail in April.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNs4...qBDMKv8QhrrNww
Be careful of off road excursions while on Burnt Jacket Rd.

and Halibut Point dittos.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #104
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,591
10,000 comedians out of work, and you're making jokes, Rich. On our recent bimble about the north, I found if I awoke at daybreak, we'd be on the road at 9:47. If I lolled around in bed till 8:30, we'd be on the road by 10:05. Go figure. "In this place where time and space does not exist. . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
You mean 9:55 or so?
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #105
devo2002
-Devo
 
devo2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Be careful of off road excursions while on Burnt Jacket Rd.
Nah you will be fine there, I broke enough bones on that road for a few more years.
__________________
2014 DL650 Vstrom
devo2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014