User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 745
2 up trouble

I have a problem. my wife bitches and says I have to many toys and its all for me and nothing for her. which for the most part is true. but when I try to get her to ride on the back of my Dakar (to share a toy) she is scared shitless because for lack of a better word I suck at it.

so do I teach or better yet get someone else to teach her how to ride my XT? Or do I find someone to learn how to ride 2 up with that I care much less about then my wife. any volunteers?

but for real how do you safely learn to ride 2 up?
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Jewelry of equal value...

Buy a $5,000 bike, buy a $5,000 rock to give her.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,682
Is she genuinely interested in riding motorcycles? Solo? If so sign her up for a MSF course. If not, you'll have to get her some toys of her liking.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Many many many many many many miles and years of REGULAR...as in several thousands if not tens of thousands of miles a year one up riding...before you EVER take some one elses life into your hands. If you aren't putting on regular solo mileage and lots of it then you do not have the skills needed for 2 up.

Not every one will agree but this is true as a general rule.

Also having a bike meant for 2 up helps when it comes time. Lots of bikes have pillion pegs but should never be used for 2 up except on a very limited basis.

And if she's afraid...yeah...jewelry. Don't force it dude you'll ruin it for ever!
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Whatever you do, let her off before you dump the bike. Women don't generally see the humor in it.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Get a sidecar.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
I agree w/ Robert on the solo practice. Also, a dual sport 650 like your Dakar is a great bike for new rider, but isn't ideal for a new passenger. The high seat height and light weight don't conspire to give them confidence. Also, with a light bike, the added weight of a passenger is proportionally greater. You might consider a more appropriate 2- up bike. The Kawasaki Nomad is notoriously easy to handle 2-up, and can be had very cheap compared to other similar bikes.

My wife didn't like my Caponord "It's too tall! That's a long way to tip over!", but she's comfortable on my Rocket III. Being a 700+lb bike, I barely notice her 125 back there.

Also, consider some additional training, such as "Ride Like a Pro". I like this clip of a RLP instructor (who's about a buck ten soaking wet) cutting circles with her 220lb husband on the back...after trading places on the fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_WHi--7nrI
Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Dusty1013
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I don't think there is any secret to it. Bikes heavier, you need more time/distance to stop, that kind of thing. The passenger also needs to know not to do anything crazy back there. I'd say you need a good two up bike but seeing how she already thinks you have too many toys that would most likely go over like a lead balloon. When I was sixteen a long time ago I didn't give it much thought. I said hop on, told her what not to do back there and just compensated for the weight.
I don't know if your wife would be up to riding or not. Some women want to and some like my wife have no desire to ride.
If you are a new rider you should put some time in the saddle yourself first.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
JayRitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
My wife is supportive of my passion for bikes, and occasionally rides with me, but if I were to give her the option of whatever she wanted to do, motorcycling would probably not be her first choice.

I dunno - I'd guess that if you asked her what she really wanted, she'd probably tell you. It may not be motorcycles, but if she felt like what she wanted was of value, well, that's gonna be way better in the long run for your marriage and your love for motorcycles

That advice, and a quarter, will get you $.25
JayRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 223
I bought my wife an in-ground pool 15 years ago. She doesn't complain much anymore. She has the nieces over to swim while I go out and play.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
There is a huge difference in who's on the back. My wife, you can't tell she's on there, ever. Even going fairly fast in the twisties, or on dirt, you can't tell. My daughter, much bigger stronger girl, is almost as good, but not quite. You can tell she's there, but it's not a problem. My other daughter, much lighter than the other two, is terrible. Pulls the bike all over the place, you just can't ever relax when she's on the back. I don't know what she's doing back there, we have talked about it, but something is different.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conedodger View Post
I bought my wife an in-ground pool 15 years ago. She doesn't complain much anymore. She has the nieces over to swim while I go out and play.

Worth every penny I bet!

Seriously, marital issues are not one size fits all, most wives will ride on the back but no guarantee that they won't hold it against you.

If you suck at it, don't do it.

For us, my wife loves to ride on the back but tried riding and hated it. And I'd been riding about 15 years before I met her. Still, after probably 50,000 miles together not a second goes by that I don't think about how much of a responsibility it is.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post

Also, consider some additional training, such as "Ride Like a Pro". I like this clip of a RLP instructor (who's about a buck ten soaking wet) cutting circles with her 220lb husband on the back...after trading places on the fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_WHi--7nrI
Awesome…
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
HOW MUCH FUN CAN IT BE SITTING ON THE BACK OF SOMEBODY ELSES BIKE?

seriously.

to the OP: why are you riding in the first place?

ok now sit on the back of a bud's bike (test of your homophobic capability here) and go on a nice long ride.

yea I bet that's just freakin awesome.

I think it's pretty cool there are couples out there riding their own bikes...

hopefully if she learns how to ride at some point something will "click" and she will be all about it.

then again... it could all fail miserably.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
My wife and I put over 12,000 miles on our KLR last year. She is an EXCELLENT passenger, sits still, no sudden movements, trust me to know what I'm doing.

Now, on our new Super Tenere, I can hardly tell she's even back there....she's 125 lbs. or so....

Just start off with short rides, tell her to just sit still and trust you, tell her to relax and enjoy the ride. Now, for you, start of with slow easy rides, nothing to twisty...but you'll eventually need to get used to the feeling of the extra weight back there while cornering...

Just take it slow. AND ENJOY
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote