Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #31
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,205
35 years and I got nothing on the street.
Lots of close calls in the dirt, like coming around a sandy turn at 60 mph and finding a jeep coming the other way.
Locked up the back and slid past between the truck and the trees, with about an inch to spare.
I got real mellow in blind turns after that, at least for a while.

My great fear is hitting another biker, I do not want to think about handlebars through the chest and so on...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
D R
----

Oddometer: 466
Several years back I was on my way home from a night shift. Being early on a weekend morning (Saturday or Sunday... don't recall which) traffic on the Interstate was very light. I was approaching my exit which would put me on the road to my neighborhood, so I'm in the right most lane. All I need to do is pass under the bridge and take the exit which will loop around and allow me to head east.

Suddenly, the large, white SUV, which is several car lengths forward of me in the center lane (to my left) goes very, VERY hard on the brakes! The nose dives sharpely and the rear wheels darn near come up off the ground. I had just completed a scan of my mirrors so I knew there were no cars in close proximity behind me. While I can't see what it is that prompted the SUV to brake so hard, I go fairly hard on the brakes too! At that moment, a small compact car comes into view from in front of the SUV. The lady driving was talking on her cell phone and suddenly realized she was about to miss her exit. She sweeps from the left lane, across the center lane and into my lane.

As she entered my lane, she apparently decided she needed to come to a complete stop because the right most lane was occupied (by me) and she didn't want to have an accident. I only have one real option at this point. As I mentioned, I had just checked my mirror so in addition to there being no cars close behind me, I knew the exit lane on my right was clear as well. As I came off the brakes and began a hard rightward movement, I made a mental note of the fact this lady had already demonstrated poor awareness skills but may suddenly decided being stopped on a through lane of the Interstate is a bad idea and start moving again. As such as I moved to the right, I targeted the hard shoulder of the exit lane versus the lane itself.

That proved to be a good move because she did begin to move. We ended up side by side on the exit, she in the lane with me beside her on the shoulder. I slowed down and let her move forward of me. As I was now heading west instead of east, I needed to go to the next signal light and get turned around to head home. I moved over into the left lane where I could make a controlled left turn (green arrow).

The light was red as we approached. As I come to a stop, I look to my right. The lady is sitting there, still chatting on her cell phone, without a care in the world, oblivious to the fact she nearly killed me. Her window was down and she had her cell phone in the left hand, up to the left ear. She was easily within reach of my right hand. If the arrow had not turned green for me at just that moment, I'm pretty certain a cell phone would have been flying across the road towards the bushes.

D R screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 02:56 AM Reason: fix typo....
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
Ianstein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
All of my close calls involve coming into corners too hot. First time I'd only been riding for about 2 months and came into corner that I didn't realize tightened up mid way thru. I was leaned over hard and could feel the rear tire sliding out. I thought I was going to put it down but some how just managed to hold it and carry out the corner. Felt really lucky there.

Second time was on a series of curves that i run pretty regularly, well one day the county chip n sealed the road and left little bits of gravel everywhere. My I came into the first corner fast with my buddy right behind me. Just as I entered the corner I saw the gravel and paniced. I got on the brakes too hard, locked em up but managed to stay pointing straight. I over shot the corner and just barely got stopped right as the pavement ended. I was convinced my buddy was close enough behind me he was either going to lay it down or crash right into me. Its a weird feeling just waiting for that impact. Luckily he was further back and saw my screw up in time to slow down.
Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #34
Prof J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I find this thread very instructive, so here goes...

Happened 5 years ago. I am following my wife on a highway off ramp (we both ride ). We have to merge with on-coming trafic on the road to our left but, as we are sweeping down the off ramp, I see that there is only one car on that road and it will be behind us by the time we reach the end of the ramp.

So I keep switching between checking my wife's speed in front and looking over my left shoulder to see where the car is. I do this a few times. Then, as I look in front, I see to my horror that my wife has STOPPED to let the car go by. I swerve to the right and missed hitting her by inches. I nearly stopped riding then and there. My bad, really, you are responsible for the person in front of you.

Prof J
Prof J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,520
Wow, like the three last post I have to admit the closest calls I've had were at on/off ramp intersections.

I am going to have to be more careful I guess - the shitty thing is that those are the only places in south Florida with hard turns and curves, so they are the only places I got hot into when I know I've got the right of way (which doesn't mean much when a car wants to take it away from me).

Damned cages.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Northbound BRP, someplace south of Boone, KY. Nice day, wooded area, Curves. Hills on my left. Setting up for a left-hander when I come a little too close for comfort with the grill of an '80's vintage Chevy pickup mostly in my lane coming around a blind curve. No blood, no foul, I saw it in time to avoid.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
RA WI Regional Rep, rally camping chair
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #37
mhpr262
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,169
a few years ago I was on a pretty narrow, nicely twisty road and had been following a rather large truck for a few minutes and was getting a bit antsy.

So I moved my bike to the centerline and looked past the truck. Nice, just two oncoming cars and then I can pass!

I wait for the cars to pass by the truck, gun the throttle and am just about to whip out and past the truck ... when I see the third car that I had overlooked.

If that car had just been twenty meters or so farther back I would have slammed into it head on without even the chance to brake.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #38
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,159
Headed out about 7am hit the black top by the house, got to the first curve and noticed 3 turkeys on the left side of the road. As I started to lean into the curve I was half watching them run to make sure they didn't run back into my path. When out of the corner of my eye I see one flying right at me from the right!I ducked and the feet or feathers hit my Helmet! That woke me up!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #39
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,626
I was doing about 40mph in the right lane, about to overtake a car in the left lane that was slowing down to make a left. When I was about even with his rear bumper, he decided he need to make a right instead. I went into a full supermoto looking slide, as he turned in front of me, just missing my front tire. He never even saw me.

Here's the fun part: In the oncoming turn lane, waiting to turn onto the street where the offending car just went, was a California Highway Patrol cruiser. After witnessing the entire episode, he flipped on his lights, and went after the guy. It was easy not to be mad after that...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #40
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,159
Took the Shoulder to keep some tweaker looking twat in an old mazda from running me over as traffic slowed at 210 hwy & 435. She missed me by less than 6 inches. Maybe I won't ride to work tomorrow

car94 screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 05:48 PM
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Duuh! 1:2:3=3:2:1!

So a few of us are banging around, four-wheeler, dual-purpose and I'm on my trusty KLR-600. Somebody knows a great trail to run on... it is an old railroad grade... tracks are out, ties are gone, no ballast, just a non-grass clay hard pack. The railroad had bridges, but they were removed. I was never on it but it seemed cool and I'm following a four wheeler.

We get to missing bridge 1... 60 feet wide of deep, stinking water with a crapload of old railroad ties floating in the muck. Somebody has built up a little dam sort of thing that backed up the water... it must flood in the Spring but this is late Summer... but the ATV's can fit on it and everybody goes across. Back on the trail about two miles later is missing bridge 2... very similar to #1. We get through and then it is about 4 miles to a 20 foot wide mini-replica of the other two. Every thing is cool and then we get on and really haul... no more bridges forever.

40 minutes later we all stop and the ATV'S decide there is something more interesting... a mud bog (why do they do that... like pigs in slop?) and the bikes head back after it looks like it is just going to be a pig pen that goes nowhere but filthy. I'm third. Bridge 3... in and out. I pass into second and... Bridge 2 ... in and out. I pass into first and... WFO... forget about Bridge 1. Aaaaaah!!!!! Air... Splash... Glub... Ouch! OK, the KLR went down running (carb flush, gas tank flush... no dents!, extended crank case flushing, blown rear tire). The swamp water was too foul. The chipped pelvis was a pain in the ass. Close call because it shoulda' been a whole lot worse.

Good Lord, I loved that bike more than any other. We went everywhere together and we did it all... in the air, in the swamp, in the woods. Was it her, or the way I felt with her? I remember when I bought her new Metzlers. She was so responsive and gave me back more than I gave her.

But I eventually wandered away to a touring bike with a big chest and broad hips. I never forgot her thumping and thus the new relationship was doomed from the start because I couldn't let go.

Zippydapanhead screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 09:55 AM
Zippydapanhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #42
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Two times in one day...
...Following a car on a quiet two lane city street, he pulls over to the side in the parking space near the hardware store, then does a U turn right in front of me. Four or five blocks later, I'm on a wide two lane and a woman pulls from the left into my lane. When I get a chance to ask her why, she said, "the sun was in my eyes." I didn't ask her why she pulled out when she admittedly couldn't see what was coming toward her.

Another day...
The east-west two lane has stop signs at the intersection where the north-south two lane is a through road. I'm stopped at one stop sign and a Suburban is stopped across from me at the other stop sign. One car comes down the through road, then the 'burb pulls out and almost hits the second through car. If he'd hit it, it would have bounced into me. If that car had dodged him, it would have hit me. If I'd tried to power through the intersection and they didn't hit, it would have hit me. Everybody missed everybody, and I gave a wave to the 'burb driver...first a fist, then one finger.

Riding in the Dominican Republic with motocaribe.com (great trip, hope to repeat)...
Driving there is OK once we learn their system which is kind'a give a little and take a little. Most traffic keeps to the right, slower stuff way right. I was in the center of the road passing a slow truck with a minibus coming at me, but it was closer than I thought, missed by an inch or two, and that was the only time I flinched on the week ride with the group.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #43
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
One of the closest calls today on the way to work.

I was going about 40 mph (posted speed limit) northbound on a 2-lane road (one lane each way). The road going north was completely clear, so there was nobody ahead of me as far as I could see.

The traffic going south (oncoming traffic to me) was not too dense, but there was a tight pack of 6-10 cars coming up. One Ford F-150 out of the middle of that pack decided to make a classic left-turn into me onto a tiny alley or a drive-way to my right. He didn't see me at all, and about 20-30 feet ahead of me started using my lane as his turn lane (I assume he was trying to be polite to people behind him and let them pass him).

So as soon as his inside wheels crossed the centerline, my horn came on and stayed way until I passed him, which made him yank the truck back into his lane. That's what saved me. I didn't even have time to apply the brakes, and I'm just glad he yanked back into his lane, or I would most definitely hit his truck.

I need to get much better about panic stops... That was a scary one...
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #44
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Riding my K75. Had just entered I-17 from the Carefree Highway heading South, so I was accelerating with some alacrity to match the flow of traffic and duck into my chosen opening. Suddenly, out of my peripheral vision I see a wheel and tire about 40 yards up in the air and it seems to be heading straight for me. I watch in disbelief for a moment and remember thinking "how the hell did that get up there"? Quickly check my left mirror, swerve into the left lane,brake slightly and see the tire bounce just ahead of me in the right lane, perhaps 50 ft., and careen off, ripping through a highway fence and off into the desert, taking part of the fence with it. All I can surmise is that it was a spare tire that fell off of a vehicle heading the opposite direction at high speed and somehow got very air born.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #45
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
One of my closest calls was my fault for doing something stupid. Here goes....

About 15 summers ago I was riding a very narrow and twisty road with few turnouts.

I came around a corner to find a very slow moving vehicle in front of me. I mean this car was crawling up the hill. I followed him for minutes hoping he'd pull to the right so I could pass him...as my impatience and anger grew, I saw a spot where I could see ahead a couple of curves, and went for a pass.

All of a sudden there was a sedan directly in front of me. He was coming the other way quite fast and I simply did not see him when I initiated my pass.

A split second before a head on collision I swerved and went between the vehicles. There must have been microns of space between us on both sides...

I pulled over, shaking with anger at my own stupidity and impatience. I vowed to never let my emotions get out of control when riding again. I've kept that vow, and now have about 265K crash free miles under my belt.

The second came last week. I was at a red light at a four way intersection. Since the view to the left was obstructed, when my light turned green, I waited about 3 seconds before going, despite the fact the guy behind me started blowing his horn.

It's a good thing I waited. A minivan driven by a woman on a cell phone blew through the intersection at about 60 mph. Had I gone when the light turned, you wouldn't be reading this boring story, as I'd be dead.