Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #46
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
During my first visit to Corsica, on the road between Auddè (Aullène) and Zìcavu (Zicavo), I was on the Thruxton, tanking along in formation with a bloke on a Multistrada 1100 (the red rag in front of me) and a bloke on a BMW 1200 RT (playing the role of tail-end Charley/packed lunch wallah). I was itching to get past matey on the Doocardee, and as the road was pretty much empty apart from us, I was often using the whole width of the - narrow - road (gives you an idea of how fast Ducati man and I were going). At one point, as I dropped towards the apex of a blind left-hander, I suddenly discovered that the precise patch of tarmac I was aiming for was about to be occupied by a local coming down the hill at a fair rate of knots (everybody drives fast in Corsica) in a lowered Peugeot 207 GTI. Luckily we both kept a cool head: the guy in the Pug stood on the anchors, and I did the mother of all counter-steers while giving it the berries. I managed to avoid him, but you couldn't have slipped a cigarette paper between my left knee and the left front wheel-arch of the Pug!

Epilogue: After the close call, I looked in the mirror and could see that the guy on the Beemer was whitish-green with eyes the size dinner plates. So I decided that at the first possible moment we'd all pull over, have a smoke, and calm down. Of course, I just had to stop - unwittingly - in front of the local graveyard...
Old 02-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #47
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 700
I grew up and learned to ride in So Cal. When I was 17, I was riding my Yamaha RD350 (wish i still had it!) in the left lane on the Ventura Freeway when an on-coming car somehow hit and jumped the cement center divider. Thank god i had no time to react! The car literally flew right over me! I ducked reflexively, never let off the throttle or looked back and took the next exit. After I parked I was able to catch my breath! Since I was 17 I was not much shaken by this incident. I think if that happened to me now (age 58) I'd: A) wet myself, B) park it and never ride again!

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #48
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #49
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
The "closest" call that most likely would have been fatal happened so quickly and unexpectedly, that I didn't even starting shaking for a minute or so after it had happened.

Thanksgiving weekend of 2012, I rode from Topeka down to Tulsa for the ABA Grand Nationals. Left Tulsa at about 6 PM for the ride home.

I was on 169 Highway somewhere south of Chanute. Two lane, rural road with nothing but open field on both sides. Had a semi ahead of me by about 1/2 a mile or so. He was entering a very long bend to the left, and I knew I would be catching him at or near the end....coming towards us (out of the left) was a tractor.

Now this road was fairly wide....two lanes, plus a paved breakdown lane on either side (this is the ONLY thing that saved my ass).....the tractor had his right tires on the breakdown lane on his side...plenty of room.,,matter of fact, his left side tires were only a foot or so across the white line on the right side of his lane. I could see a car coming up behind the tractor, so I moved to the right wheel track "just in case".

About this time, the car behind the tractor decided to pass.....unbeknownst to me OR the car driver, this tractor was set up for dual rear wheels....but was only running singles. That means there was an axle stub sticking about 2 or more feet past the tire.

Just as the guy in the car got to the rear of the tractor, he saw the stub, and jerked his wheel left.....

I hammered the right bar, jerking the bike to the right on to the breakdown lane.....I don't think there was but 2 feet between the left side of my bike and the l/f fender of that car when we passed....and we were both running 60 or more..

I was like "WTF"?????? Was more pissed than scared......pissed to the point that I had momentarily entertained the idea of turning around and chasing the asshole in the car down....until the realization of what nearly happened set in.

Stopped at a truck stop a mile or so up the road......the semi that had been ahead of me had also stopped......he walked over to me and said "I thought you were gonna get splattered"....

Had it not been for positioning myself in the right part of the line, coupled with having practiced collision avoidance techniques, I would have at the very least lost my left leg....

-end of story-
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #50
dfeckel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Mid 90's on my Zephyr 750. In my parents' neighborhood going around a sweeping right curve at about 30 mph. An oncoming car turns left in front of me. Countersteer and swerve right in front of her. My left muffler grazes her front bumper. My swerved trajectory carries me right over the curb, I narrowly miss a tree, and circle back to talk to the lady.

I ended up getting her insurance info because I had two bent wheels and smashed headers from the curb.

I didn't fall over, though!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #51
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Nothing that really stands out, other than the occasional slight target fixation/selecting a bad line when fatigued.

However: just yesterday I was lanesplitting on the way home and pulled up to a stoplight. As the light turns green and I take off, the car on my left hits my boot with its bumper. Yikes.

Clearly I need to take off faster in the future
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #52
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
I almost bought a Honda once.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #53
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Nothing to exciting but did have 2 in one day about 15 minutes apart . Went uptown to get my hair trimmed right after leaving Im going through a residential section and see a truck gun it out of a drive way . I lay hard on the brakes locking up the back , I let a little pressure off the rear and stand leaning back then get back on the rear brake . The drive sees me panics and stops in mid turn instead of just giving it more gas and giving me more space . I finally come to a stop about 2 inches from his back fender , he throws both hands in the air looking at me through his back window about the same time a car that was coming the other way gets to blowing the horn because he has her lane partially blocked . I just wave him on and go on to the grocery store .

I grab some milk and some chicken at the grocery store and pull out going home . The road has makes a hard sweeping right ninety curve and gains a lane on the left in the turn to the intersection . This arrangement causes alot of people to think they need to be in that lane to make a left turn to get back to the interstate but both lanes are left turning lanes . Well Im in the left lane and there is a truck in the right lane . We start into the turn and I stay far left as the extra lane starts out , the truck sees the new lane and whips across the left lane and then continues into my lane which at this point isnt a full lane yet anyway . Well I go off the road into the medium laying on the sherpas horn the whole time . After the truck passes I go to get back on the road not noticing there was a 5 or 6 inch lip up to the road where vehicles had eased off the road there rutting the shoulder out . By this time I running about 15 mph and the front hits the lip and jumps on up fine but the back slides out I drop my right foot the bike hops back upright and up onto the road . I come to a stop at the intersection behind the truck and look over and a different truck pulls up beside me and hits the horn I look over at the driver and hey makes a wiping the sweat from the brow gesture and gives me a thumbs up ,Apperantly he saw it all. The light turns green and I take off slowly giving the truck plenty of room , sure enough after making the left turn the truck need to be in the right lane to get on the interstate so it whipped over into the right lane cutting off the guy who gestured to me causing him to have to brake .I ran up beside him and just shook my head he made a shooting gesture at the truck that screwed both of us up now .Oh the gesture guy had a HD sticker on his back window so I guess he was a rider . I didnt ride my bike to town for a few days after that .

ETA:Here is the intersection , if you look you can see someone in a silver minivan forcing their way over into the left lane about where I got back on at lol . https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.71602,-78.11677&z=18&t=h

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 07:36 AM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #54
FrogAndTrumpet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
I almost bought a Honda once.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #55
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Two at intersections, and one deer.

1985-ish. Had already been riding bikes for about 13 or 14 years, so I was pretty cognizant of needing to be vigilant going through intersections, amongst everything else.

Night time in a big city, I'm going slightly under the limit on a one way street, crossing another one way street intersection. Green light for me was about exactly halfway through it's full on cycle, so I wasn't mega concerned about a car jumping the light, or gassing it to make it through in time, on the street crossing mine.

Force of habit I did roll off throttle a smidge and give a token glance left to pay lip service to my paranoia about people ignoring or missing red lights.

*WHOOSH*!!!! A car blows past me so fast, literally micro inches from my rear tire, I have zero time to think, or do, or so much as shriek in my helmet. I pull over on the other side of the intersection, and sit there shaking half to death.

Other drivers in cars behind me, pull to screeching halts and all shout: OMG! are you ok? Ambulance? Are you alive? etc., etc. lol. They were so convinced that I had been hit, that it still wasn't registering that I hadn't actually been.

The car that went through the red light at 90 mph or whatever, that I neglected to observe despite my best intentions?

It was going down the one way street, the wrong way, with no freaking lights on!

1989-ish. This one is my biggest WTF of my own behaviour.

Sitting at a red light, waiting to proceed through. Look up, see green, and go.

Not only didn't I give a quick left-right to make sure it was ok, my light was actually still red!!! Halfway though the intersection, it dawns on me that I had completely zoned out, and had reflexively acted on the green, but it was the light in the next block! Talk about a thousand yard stare or whatever, sheesh.

That made me really buckle down and try to shake off being complacent and cocky in general with my supposed riding prowess.

Bimbling slowly (roughly 50 mph) along in the boonies, on a hot, sunny, clear august day, zero highway traffic for hours in any direction, nearing the end of a successful couple week tour into the wilds with many, many animal encounters.

Flash of tan fur to my left, and the absolute foreknowledge that I *am* going to be hit, I flinch, shut my eyes, heave forward on my right hand grip. I can even picture where on the bike, and what parts are going to be needing replacement, starting with the front fender.

The buck not only didn't hit the front of the bike, nor the middle, nor me, or even the back of my bike! I was on an overloaded, piled high with camping gear F800ST, so it presented a fairly large profile. :I'm not fat, I'm just big boned!:

My buddy riding his Super Tenere directly behind me, said he thought I was going to broadside the deer, and was all bugeyed that somehow this thing arced up and over me, instead of me hitting it.

And he swears to this day that one of it's magnificent and vewy vewy pointy antler tines had to have grazed my rear tail pack, as it's head went completely to it's left, in midair. Either that, or it lunged at me trying to gore me as it flew past
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #56
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 366
Does buying a BMW count?
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #57
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Does buying a BMW count?
For me, that was: "EPIC FAIL" unfortunately, as I bought one. I *wish* it had been a close call, with no actual purchase!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #58
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
First close call was riding to work. Coming up on a T intersection with the other street having the stop sight. There is no side of the road as it dropped off in a 4 foot ditch a mere 4 inches from the white line. As I was right at the intersection a guy in a truck pulls out in front of me. I couldn't stop in time, but did the best I could and got over as far as I could. Missed the guy by a few inches some how.

My next close call I was approaching a bicyclist. I was in my lane and he was in the bike lane. Slowed down a bit as I approached anticipating a possible event from the cyclist, there was a T intersection a little down the road that had traffic waiting as well as a stop sign a little further down the road. I also was looking for signs from the cyclist on what he would do, looking behind and to the side, given a signal he was going to turn, and where he was looking. Seeing no sign he wanted to turn, I moved to the far left and pass. Just as I was about to pass him, he darted right out in front of me. I just instinctively swerved around him to the right as it was the safest escape route as going left was out because of an oncoming car and the cyclist was heading left.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #59
bbrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Old times, Good times

From mid '73-mid '74, schooled at a tech center in Quincy IL.
Dated a very sweet little farm girl that lived on the eastern river bluff
above the river. Rode a room mates SL350 Honda out to the farm for a get together with her. Late that night, left to go back to the city.
Decending gravel road for about 1/2 mi, or so. Full ATGATT, jeans, t-shirt,
tennis shoes.
About 500' down hill, something rode along with me. DEER!
On my left, I could have touched that animal, had I taken my hand off of the bar. 50' or so the doe ran back into the woods.
I will never forget that night, in more ways than one.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #60
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Back in the early 90's I'm 19 and dumb. I'm supposed to go to my families camp for the weekend but had to work friday night until 11pm. I decide I'll just shoot up on my VF500, normally a 3 hour drive should take me 2 on the bike. Only problem is I had never drove to camp and thus got lost. So at about 2am I'm cruising the back roads of northern Vermont on a completely moonless night. I'm going "slow" 50-55 looking for any easy turn around when something flashes by in my periphiral vision. I turn around a little ways down and come back though, this time my headlight catches what I had just missed by a foot, a freaking giant black steer standing in the middle of the road. I pulled off at a picnic area and slept on a table until morning.

Another time I'm working a Sunday morning and I'm early. I decide to zip up though this housing development. I come around a corner when I remember that there is a stop sign at the end of this down hill corner. I panic, stand the bike up grab the brakes and go straight out of the corner up on a banked lawn. I know if I'm still hitting the brakes when I get on the wet grass Im going down. I let off the brakes grab the throttle put one foot down and slide it like its flat tracker until she's pointed back to the road, didnt even think about it . That taught me to stop being an idiot.

"Don't get cruiser sloppy" Unknown Inmate
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote