Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
1 Wheel Drive OP
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,340
Running Topo maps on a Zumo

I happen to own multiple Garmin Zumo GPS receivers, as we often use more than one of our bikes at a time. I've figured out how to load copies of Topographic maps onto the SD cards on both my Zumo 550 and the newer 660. The topos that I'm using were free 24K downloads of the Northeast from GPSFileDepot.com So far I've only been messing with these Northeast maps.

I'm wondering a couple of things. Hopefully, someone else has already been down this path before and will have some answers / ideas for me.

First, off, on the Zumo 550, with the map display set at either North up or Track up (modes that seem the most useful offroad) all seems to work well. But with the Zumo 660, no matter what display modes or screen resolution settings I use, the topo contour lines are very fat and monopolize the display pretty badly.

I am wondering if this would also be true if I sucked it up and bought a copy of the Garmin Topo 24k maps on DVD? Anyone using Garmin 24k topos on a Zumo 6XX?

Are the Garmin 24k Topo Maps worth the added price of admission? Does anyone have any experience with both those and the GPSFileDepot version topos? As far as I can see the Garmin maps have not been updated since 2008?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
The Garmin 24K Topo routes and has a POI...the GPSfiledepot does neither. Filedepot download is a good mapset to use to explore what Topo can and cannot due.

I run both on my 550.
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
1 Wheel Drive OP
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
The Garmin 24K Topo routes and has a POI...the GPSfiledepot does neither. Filedepot download is a good mapset to use to explore what Topo can and cannot due.

I run both on my 550.

Thanks. Yeah, I had heard about the inability to route on the Filedepot maps. So that may be reason enough. What kind of POIs are in the Garmin topo mapset?

I suppose that I should just buy a copy and see for myself.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 371
I am a total gps noob with respect to doing more than the basics but love the hec out of my 550 so I'd love to learn more about the off-road capabilities beyond full zoom to see the trails.
If possible I would like some info to understand how loading these topos may affect my use of the zumo. Do i have to do something different in my settings to access?
Which is the best to load for N. America?
I appreciate any guidance i can get with a current plan to ride Colorado this summer.

As a side note: I live in Va. and would be more than willing to compensate someone for their time in exchange for real gps navigation knowledge.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread so please send a pm if responses are not pertinent to the original intent of the poster.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
jacamp
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumbs down Topo Maps

I am not familiar with the 3rd party topos but do like garmins 24k maps.
As far as the way the 660 and 665 that I owen handles maps loaded from the DVD is not good as far as I am concerned. Read the following post I made on this subject.

I would also like to say how disappointed I am in how it handles adding additional maps to A SD card. You can only put one map per SD card. So now you need to Carry A library of cards with you if you like riding your Motorcycle on and off road. As an example, if you load one of the topo maps on a SD card it creates a file called Gmapsupp. If you load another file on that card it over rights the Gmapsupp with another Gmapsupp, and delete the other map file. So one Map for each SD card. If you do load A topo map, or state parks map, or any other map you may want on to an Micro SD card you will lose the data from City Navigator, the to will not work together.
My Garmin 60csx will let you flip through the additional maps you have loaded on your device SD card without having to, take off the back, remove the battery, remove the small micro card chip and try to instal the new micro chip on the side of the Hwy or mountain road, make sure there is no wind and dirt blowing around while you have your unit apart.
When I bought this I thought I would get all the features that my GPSmap 60CSx plus the bells and whistles.
I have at least 4 phone call to support, escalating it up the ladder to get the above information. I would definitely not consider this to be a adventure type of GPS, and it is not worth the money you have to pay for it.
jacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacamp View Post
You can only put one map per SD card. So now you need to Carry A library of cards with you if you like riding your Motorcycle on and off road. As an example, if you load one of the topo maps on a SD card it creates a file called Gmapsupp. If you load another file on that card it over rights the Gmapsupp with another Gmapsupp, and delete the other map file. So one Map for each SD card. If you do load A topo map, or state parks map, or any other map you may want on to an Micro SD card you will lose the data from City Navigator, the to will not work together.
This just doesn't sound right, as far as I know the software (MapSource & MapInstall) has always overwritten any existing mapset (of the same name) in a given location. You just need to include all the map products you wish to use when building the new mapset and transfer at the same time (or on newer units you may be able to rename or load to a deferent drive). The 60 works the same way except all maps are on the SD, no option to use the GPS internal memory.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 901
Use mapinstall and install to your SD card

I am running a Zumo 660 with the latest CNAV map and a big chunk of Topo 24 Northeast

On the SD card: topo got named gmapsupp.img
the existing map is gmapsup1.img

My 16g card has 5+ gigs of MP3 and about 3+ gigs of map files, all work flawlessly.

Nesbocaj screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 04:41 PM Reason: can't spell woth a damn
Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote