ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
TallRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Agoura Hills ,Ca
Oddometer: 1,395
Just crashed while wearing my SaferMotoMLS Airvest/Motoport Excellent results

Actually its an MLV vest.........sorry for the typo.
I cannot stress enough how amazing this safety product is. I was going a wee bit fast (over 55 mph) out of an up hill turn and the rear end came around on me. I slid on my back and before hit the ground it went of and I have to say it feels like your on an air matteress nearly totally removed from whats going on below you. Surprisingly there was NO and wear on it. Frankly, I dont get it. I was also wearing Motoport Air Mesh gear and it did its job. Its showing moderate wear and it will return to Wayne ASAP for repair.
Because of the vests neck brace my helmet did not hit the ground. I got up, I had felt zero shock to the body....I fell the same way many years ago wearing only tourmaster gear and I was laid up for 3 months going slower and I couldnt move my neck for much longer...

Motoport is 10/10
SaferMotor is 10/10~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TallRob screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 04:12 PM
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,446
Good to hear you are okay and that your gear performed well in the accident, how did your bike fare?
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew
 
ikonoklass's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 2,601
Fantastic news. What a great time to be a motorcyclist.
__________________
2012 Speed Triple
2005 R1200GS
1998 FXDL
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
TallRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Agoura Hills ,Ca
Oddometer: 1,395
Im adding it up. The GSG crash fork bungs and SW MOTECH crash bars saved me a ton of cash!. I need a new indicator light, hand gard and side bag and a screw knob off my adjustable windshield that just popped off. Plus replacing the crashbar and fork crash bung .
So, im guessing between $800 and $900 for hardware. IM sending my Motoport gear to get touched up. I have no Idea what that will cost. But I think I got away insanely lucky!Having the right gear is worth it, I tell ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Good to hear you are okay and that your gear performed well in the accident, how did your bike fare?

TallRob screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 04:02 PM
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
vortmax
Sport Tourer
 
vortmax's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 31
Good to know the vest worked, Santa brought me one this last Xmas.
vortmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,947
First off, that is awesome that it worked as well as hoped.

Secondly, you almost sold me on this product that has been on the radar for awhile, so, is it this one?

-how much air does it block? If it's the one linked, it looks like the best to go for if summer ventilation is a concern.
-so you're saying that the vest did not pop and actually had some decent abrasion resistance?
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 05:40 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,317
Are the CO2 cartridges proprietary or are they the same ones used in the tire repair kits? I see some are 30cc, some 50cc and some 60cc.

I've had this vest on my radar for some time.. glad you weren't hurt and it worked as intended.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here
 
PhotoBiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 1,436
Never heard about this company or technology before, thanks for bringing it up and glad to hear you are OK.

I googled the company and checked out their site, it looks like they canceled their youtube account as none of the videos on their video page are valid anymore, I'm trying to figure out how this all works.
__________________
-=Glen=-
[Current]
'10 R1200GS
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
TallRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Agoura Hills ,Ca
Oddometer: 1,395
It Popped well bofore I hit the ground!,,,,,,,,,,,,,it worked and it was awesome!
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
First off, that is awesome that it worked as well as hoped.

Secondly, you almost sold me on this product that has been on the radar for awhile, so, is it this one?

-how much air does it block? If it's the one linked, it looks like the best to go for if summer ventilation is a concern.
-so you're saying that the vest did not pop and actually had some decent abrasion resistance?
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
TallRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Agoura Hills ,Ca
Oddometer: 1,395
as far as I know they are the same you can get at any marine store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Are the CO2 cartridges proprietary or are they the same ones used in the tire repair kits? I see some are 30cc, some 50cc and some 60cc.

I've had this vest on my radar for some time.. glad you weren't hurt and it worked as intended.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer
 
wanna bECO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Third stone from the sun
Oddometer: 726
__________________
Just cuz my bike is shiny, doesn't mean that I'm a hiny

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
byways
byways
 
byways's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 2,070
This thread may save lives.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
TallRob OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
TallRob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Agoura Hills ,Ca
Oddometer: 1,395
Listen as a far as far as know the 60 cc canister are available at Safermoto.com or your local marine store.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,347
where's the pic's?
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
Actually its an MLV vest.........sorry for the typo.
I cannot stress enough how amazing this safety product is. I was going a wee bit fast (over 55 mph) out of an up hill turn and the rear end came around on me. I slid on my back and before hit the ground it went of and I have to say it feels like your on an air matteress nearly totally removed from whats going on below you. Surprisingly there was NO and wear on it. Frankly, I dont get it. I was also wearing Motoport Air Mesh gear and it did its job. Its showing moderate wear and it will return to Wayne ASAP for repair.
Because of the vests neck brace my helmet did not hit the ground. I got up, I had felt zero shock to the body....I fell the same way many years ago wearing only tourmaster gear and I was laid up for 3 months going slower and I couldnt move my neck for much longer...

Motoport is 10/10
SaferMotor is 10/10~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a similar experience last year. Going much slower, maybe 25 mi./h, the front end slipped out in a corner. I was wearing exactly the same gear as tall Rob, and had exactly the same results. Wasn't shaken up at all, no signs of damage to the air vest, and actually no damage to the Moto port gear. Helmet did not hit the ground. My bike slid across the road and into a ditch, and I had to repair the frame for the pannier which broke.

Jim, I wear the vest every day, but again, it doesn't get all that hot where I live. My impression is it stops all airflow to your body, so it does make you significantly warmer, and I suspect will make a big difference in hot temperatures. I think I would struggle to wear it if it was hot outside, say over 80.

Tall Rob, glad to hear you're okay.
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014